Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Summer 2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Sferics over the last couple of hours or so:

LA.gif

Moving northeastwards. Will update animation again later.

EDIT 5.20pm: thunderstorms continue over north midlands; also midwest region.

5.54pm Sferics gradually dissipating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Just had a few very loud, rolling claps of thunder here in Portlaoise in the past 20 minutes or so. Can't make out which direction it's coming from, though. No rain, either.

We also had a few very close, loud bangs yesterday evening around 6-ish accompanied by heavy showers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

markievicz wrote: »
    Just had a little hail shower here in Maynooth, a few rumbles of thunder about half an hour ago too!

Really? I heard nothing, damn tinnitus :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,610 ✭✭✭eigrod

Thunder & power outage in Greystones, Co Wicklow in the last 15 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

Thunder and Lightening in Limerick at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

WALL CLOUD!?! ..... :o

302170_10150359831276718_631736717_10428711_6394296_n.jpg <

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

few showers on an off all day with some thunder in the mix :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭lolie

Nice big thunderstorm that passed to the east earlier, lasted for least an hour. Some nice sparks in it, pity it wasnt dark out.

Just a short time-lapse that i took .. wish i had it on the one that produced the wall cloud though ( photo on previous page )

The noise of the birds sound kinda cool speeded up so much ha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

cool video ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Thunder and lightning here at the minute and it's pouring down, 12mm of rain in the last 5 minutes.

Any idea what the rainfall for the day is so far? Either side of the proper storm there was some decent rain as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Couple of rumbles in Castlebelligham today (workin there) around lunch.
    Very intersting looking blow up W of mullingar in the past hour, a cell forming a semi circle on the doppler...latest run on raintoday (6.30pm)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

the entire midland of ireland got thunderstorms today. south gets nada

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

A few very heavy showers this morning, no thunder though.

some where around the waterford coast just got a decent thunderstorm :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    the entire midland of ireland got thunderstorms today. south gets nada
    got nada here aswell,few nice menacing looking cells but dats it :(,for those who got thunder etc.. happy days :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Spent some time at sea yesterday and was able to watch the storm pass over the mainland. Couldn't hear thunder but did see one set of sheet lightning and one set of forked lightning! It was a beautiful day generally, but occasional torrential showers but they passed quickly. To finish off the spectaular display there was a double rainbow just before the final shower and then it moved off. :D Magic Day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

A double rainbow, what does this mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Hal1 wrote: »

Two pots of gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Hal1 wrote: »

When you see a rainbow sometimes if you look carefully you might see a second rainbow forming over the primary one. Hence a double rainbow. The secondary rainbow is often much fainter therefore harder to spot. Works best when the primary rainbow has strong colour to it.

And remember as Nacho said two pots of gold!! lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Mmcd

I think some people didnt quite get that lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Thanks Mmcd :D. Google is great.

all youghal is getting is thunder showers. just got back in time after my cycle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

seriously heavy downpours here atm,no thunder though :mad:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Two rumbles of thunder here in relatively quick succession.

And another.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

really heavy rain and hail here in dublin, heard a few rumbles of thunder 2:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Have counted 6 rumbles of thunder so far. Main shower/thunder is to my east - sunny here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

heard another 2 rumbles of thunder, and the sattelite dish isnt working ....could the weather be doing that ?

bb1234567 wrote: »
    heard another 2 rumbles of thunder, and the sattelite dish isnt working ....could the weather be doing that ?

I knew i hear a slight distant rumble!...

Ye thunderstorms seem to have an effect on the signal reaching the dish at times.

• Advertisement

My thunder count now up to 10. Nice little storm but unfortunately not overhead, just to my east.

Advertisement