Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Summer 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Mothman wrote: »
    From what I've seen, mostly cloud/cloud but there are some CGs (Cloud/Ground) as well

Just seen one there. It was CG with no thunder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Just seen a flash of lightening..not near didn't hear any thunder..camera at the ready! could be an interesting eve altough the rain has died off now and the radar suggest a lull in proceedings!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

rumble of thunder a few minutes ago in terenure. please say there will be more

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Getting bad in east Meath, nice lightning and loud thunder, loving it !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

more lightning and a long rally of thunder in drogheda

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭cdsb46

Flash of lightening and very loud thunder in ashbourne :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

rumble of thunder a few minutes ago in terenure. please say there will be more

Game over for Dublin for now I'm afraid. Possibly some action in a few hours time, but nothing too promising at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

stopped raining & seems to have stopped lighting (hopefully for only for a while)

it looks fierce around north galway south mayo at the moment on the radar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

which radar is the best to follow? Galway (city) is fine at the moment, had a heavy down pour about an hour ago but that was it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Flash of lightening and some thunder in Castlebar along with some torrential rain!!

brembo26 wrote: »
    which radar is the best to follow? Galway (city) is fine at the moment, had a heavy down pour about an hour ago but that was it.
    radars and their various issues seem to wildly inaccurate just now..raintoday seems to be kinda accurate but its raining in Dublin and both met.ie and raintoday show clear..best advice stick your head out the window:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Knew something must have happened in Dublin when the thread had 3 new pages :D

That band has just passed here, nothing but heavy rain again. I've still only heard one distant rumble of thunder since last November :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Harps wrote: »
    Knew something must have happened in Dublin when the thread had 3 new pages :D

That band has just passed here, nothing but heavy rain again. I've still only heard one distant rumble of thunder since last November :rolleyes:

don't forget wexford, wicklow, meath, louth and mayo, it's not all dublin outside of donegal you know ;)

totals for the south must be adding up .. 44mm for valentia..

http://www.met.ie/latest/yesterday.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Some activity off the Kerry coast this morning http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html
    Might see something in the west today :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Already plenty of cb's building up in the morning sun here so hopefully today will be a good day fingers crossed:)

yester day evening around half eight near Arklow I think saw the heaviest rain in a thunderstorm here since I've had the Davis recording equipment a few years ago..

The pc was off and the reading of 170.2mm/hr that was falling and displayed on the Davis unit has not shown up in the weather display,though the chart with the spike in rain totals and the total did.
    It was like something you would see in India and I'm not joking.The huge rain drops were hopping up to head height off the ground in a powerspray! That was for about 5 or 10 minutes..It felt longer.

Meanwhile forked lightning and booms of thunder mainly to the east with flashes overhead made for a cool experience!

Total rain yesterday was 16.3mm,of which about 11mm's fell in about an hour between about half eight and half nine..

Total for may here now is 36.9mm's-thats twice what fell in the whole of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

oh my goodness, a nice line of storms on the northwest cork/kerry northeast border at the moment

Web_radar.gif

that looks tasty. anyone from that area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

yester day evening around half eight near Arklow I think saw the heaviest rain in a thunderstorm here since I've had the Davis recording equipment a few years ago

yeah we got that rain and thunder up here in meath, well my part of the county anyway, it started about 9.30-10 and lasted about 10-20mins, it was unbelievable, but nice to watch all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

Looks like the south west will be seeing a few showers alright.
    3hr-rain.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

A couple of strikes showing up in Kerry, looks interesting on the radar. :-D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Just had a few strikes here in the last few minutes (Inland from Kenmare Bay), whatever happened it caused the TV to turn off, but I turned it back on and its fine again! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

4Sheets wrote: »
    radars and their various issues seem to wildly inaccurate just now..raintoday seems to be kinda accurate but its raining in Dublin and both met.ie and raintoday show clear..best advice stick your head out the window:D

Thats because the dublin radar isn't working, and Dublin is almost out of range for shannon, so it'll always show clear as its at the very edge of its range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Few rumbles of thunder now close by

any chance of thunder/lightening tonight in arklow?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

yester day evening around half eight near Arklow I think saw the heaviest rain in a thunderstorm here since I've had the Davis recording equipment a few years ago..

The pc was off and the reading of 170.2mm/hr that was falling and displayed on the Davis unit has not shown up in the weather display,though the chart with the spike in rain totals and the total did.
    It was like something you would see in India and I'm not joking.The huge rain drops were hopping up to head height off the ground in a powerspray! That was for about 5 or 10 minutes..It felt longer.

Meanwhile forked lightning and booms of thunder mainly to the east with flashes overhead made for a cool experience!

Total rain yesterday was 16.3mm,of which about 11mm's fell in about an hour between about half eight and half nine..

Total for may here now is 36.9mm's-thats twice what fell in the whole of April.

I was in Brittas Bay in a mobile home during this....that certainly added a scary dimension to it :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Absolutely bucketing down in Cork City! Rain is lashing against my bedroom window!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

leahyl wrote: »
    Absolutely bucketing down in Cork City! Rain is lashing against my bedroom window!

yup :D

still no thunder or lightening though :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Band of rain looking very nasty in the midwest at the moment:

mm5thy.jpg
    Image C/O Met eireann

North Tipperary, East Limerick & South Galway look worst affect areas. Flooding at a local level at least no doubt.

Edit: Update on radar up to 12.30am. Intense rain continues in midwest whilst another wave of torrential rain develops in the southwest.

Advertisement