Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Summer 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

bucketing down with thunder at the moment in east clare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Torrential rain, thunder and lightning in Galway city at the moment - finally !! :D:D

Short but sweet with some really intense bursts during the heaviest part of the shower - what a time for the rain gauge to pack in !

lightning2011-1-2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Just had a serious down pour in Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭davehey79

just beginning to get a few rumbles of thunder now in Longford

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Widespread risk of a few thundery showers today.
    157oql0.png

And maybe the odd funnel
    ... British Isles ...

Diurnally-enhanced cellular polar-air convection should develop over the British Isles. It looks like LLS will increase in the early evening hours ... and although DLS should remain quite weak, a brief funnel or two cannot be discounted. However the loss of daytime heating should limit the duration of the severe threat. A LVL1 does not seem to be warranted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Widespread risk of a few thundery showers today.
    157oql0.png

And maybe the odd funnel

I like this image :)

2011051006_201105090812_1_stormforecast.xml.png

Web_radar.gif

Looks like some hook echos are forming ! , keep and eye out folks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Some very sharp showers around this morning, been 21.8mm of rain so far here today. That's the same as what fell over the whole of both march (12.4mm) and april (9.4mm) combined!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Exceptionally heavy rain in Kerry here for the last two hours, no lightning though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Plenty of action in the northern half of the country
    http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Just popped in to say there is some serious flashes lightening here and hail stones.

EVERYONE Having some Activity PLease Try Get some Pictures!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Nice lightning flash and peal of thunder within a mile of Parkmore, Galway. Some seriously heavy showers around too, big convection cells. Hard to see them through the veils of water coming from the bottom of some of them!

Popoutman wrote: »
    Nice lightning flash and peal of thunder within a mile of Parkmore, Galway. Some seriously heavy showers around too, big convection cells. Hard to see them through the veils of water coming from the bottom of some of them!

Heavy hail shower over the city now with a few more loud rumbles thrown in for good measure :D

Edit: now joined by lightning!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Fionagus wrote: »
    Heavy hail shower over the city now with a few more loud rumbles thrown in for good measure :D

Edit: now joined by lightning!

Your location doesn't look so good, :D

Stinicker wrote: »
    Your location doesn't look so good, :D

:D:D:D Well spotted - was thinking the same thing myself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Thunder and Lightening here at the moment
    I have had headaches some days this past week and now today again, I heard thundery weather can cause headaches.
    Im guessing with the pressure change that is possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭monster1

Thunder and lightning here in Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 16,842 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    Thunder and Lightening here at the moment
    I have had headaches some days this past week and now today again, I heard thundery weather can cause headaches.
    Im guessing with the pressure change that is possible?

Yes it is possible. Then again it could be just the reality of living in a dive like Dongeal is taking its toll on you:p

Yes it is possible. Then again it could be just the reality of living in a dive like Dongeal is taking its toll on you:p

Has Donegal turned into the new Tuam Nacho!! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Some nice thunderstorms here today at long last! Best one was around 2pm with quite a few loud rumbles and heavy hail/rain

Really impressive sight with an almost black cloud taking over from clear blue skies and it formed a perfectly straight line across the sky. Took a pic but if didnt really come out

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭thebiglewbowski

just wanted to post about my jealousy of those in the midlands and north who are under that beast today .. :D i was watching with intent for something exciting to come dublin way but i know the airflow direction was against us. the icelandic site is reporting close to a trillion reading from he past few hours, pretty epic stuff. I have noticed all west bound flights are heading east first to try avoid it too..

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Nice thunder and lightning here! hail and heavy rain with fork lightning, havent seen anything like this for years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I've only one thing to say to you and that is 19>18 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

There is no real pressure change attributable to thunderstorms, so the old wives' tale that it's this that causes headaches is just that - an old wives' tale! People get huge pressure changes driving down a hill but it doesn't cause such headaches. It's more likely to be due to changes in electric fields, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Re headaches and weather, you might also want to look into pollen allergies, these can flare up during intervals of wet weather and high humidity, so that it seems like the weather is the cause but actually the weather may be causing a high pollen count and that's causing your symptoms?

I know this happens in my case, in fact I'm fighting off a pollen attack today after several days of rain here. If I weren't taking medication I would probably have a headache. Would have to think that this wet spell after so much dry weather may have released a lot of pollen in Ireland too.

There are various pollens to which some people are highly allergic, and they release on different annual timetables. I happen to be suspectible to one in the spring and one in the late summer but avoided that second one by moving west where the plant species (ragweed) does not grow. My spring allergy, I have pretty much worked out, is to the alder bush. That gives a very pungent aroma so I know without looking it up when the alders are pollinating, and it's usually late April through first half of May. I don't think this species grows in Europe, but if anyone reading this gets severe headaches that they feel are weather-related, you might want to consult a doctor and find out what allergies you have, and what medications work for them. Normal headache tablets like aspirin tend to have little or no effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

Su Campu wrote: »
    There is no real pressure change attributable to thunderstorms, so the old wives' tale that it's this that causes headaches is just that - an old wives' tale! People get huge pressure changes driving down a hill but it doesn't cause such headaches. It's more likely to be due to changes in electric fields, etc.

Got hit by a plastic chair by what i think was a downburst during a thunderstorm back home ..... Gave me a proper headache :o

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Question, is it wrong to constantly wish for terrible weather?
    Or should we all look forward to nice calm sunny days? Seems kinda
    Boring to me so here's hoping for some kinda thunder
    storm that would send zuse running for his mommy!

Anyone ever tried getting lightning photographs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Yes. But opportunities were very slim and storms so brief that the only ones I have are from a 3 hour lightning show in June a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Question, is it wrong to constantly wish for terrible weather?
    Or should we all look forward to nice calm sunny days? Seems kinda
    Boring to me so here's hoping for some kinda thunder
    storm that would send zuse running for his mommy!

Think anyone should be allowed wish for any weather they want, they won't change the outcome so it doesn't really matter. Well in my opinion:)

Lightning photos are good fun although getting a good rain-free vantage point as the storm is moving is a real pain. Only ever succeeded with lightning photos from bigger storms on the continent, although I got the very tail end of a flash just as it entered the sea off bray seafront 2 or 3 years ago most of the bolt was out of the shot unfortunately though.

Advertisement