Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Summer 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

What a day yesterday!!! It was the best thunder and lightning show I have seen in years. There was also torrential rain and hail, some the size of marrowfat peas!

With the way everything was going I was sure there was going to be a funnel around here somewhere!! Iancar did you hear of any up around here????

Now of course I wouldn't log on, as I am a run around unplugging plugs in lightning kinda a girl :o I know, I know, unlikely, but it's ingrained in me.

Also if I had been able to get my leg around to kick my own B hind yesterday I woulda, I was 'videoing' the lightning with my mobile phone, and realised after I had forgotten to hit the record button...... and the winner of the Worst in Technology Class goes to ..... ESKIMOCAT!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

eskimocat wrote: »

With the way everything was going I was sure there was going to be a funnel around here somewhere!! Iancar did you hear of any up around here????

Lucky u!... Was ther any rotation visible in the clouds?
    I seen some small rotation here last November ( or was it october? ha)
    , first time ever seen it. It was the same day that a funnel was spotted in Wexford.

But other than radar images that i seen i dunno ... ther was times i could really imagine some funnels appearing wit some of the radar returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

eskimocat wrote: »
    What a day yesterday!!! It was the best thunder and lightning show I have seen in years. There was also torrential rain and hail, some the size of marrowfat peas!

Now of course I wouldn't log on, as I am a run around unplugging plugs in lightning kinda a girl :o I know, I know, unlikely, but it's ingrained in me.

Also if I had been able to get my leg around to kick my own B hind yesterday I woulda, I was 'videoing' the lightning with my mobile phone, and realised after I had forgotten to hit the record button...... and the winner of the Worst in Technology Class goes to ..... ESKIMOCAT!! :pac:

I could see the dark clouds from the house here pushing in your direction but we only got rain, no thunder :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Lucky u!... Was there any rotation visible in the clouds?

To be honest I only went to look when the first rattle of thunder sounded right over head. The clouds were moving very swiftly and I didn't have enough of a view to see a bigger picture (darn glen!). When I went to look out the other side of the house, I could see the front edge of the cloud just disappearing over the hill but it had a little tentacle? foot? whatever you want to call it.. just sticking outta there. It disappeared from view before i could see if it was developing or what. Thats what made me wonder if it might have been a little funnel???? (((((shows lack of knowledge))))) :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

There is a line of potential thunderstorms and bright echos in the midlands atm moving Northwest toward the East coast. They may just make it. But then again they may not as the sun sinks ever lower on the horizon.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Big Monster black clouds here in Donegal at the moment :eek: just waiting for a big strike of lightning now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Stinicker wrote: »
    Just had a few strikes here in the last few minutes (Inland from Kenmare Bay), whatever happened it caused the TV to turn off, but I turned it back on and its fine again! :D

That was the night of the sudden thunderclap? West Cork this is. Lights flashing on and offand after a split second of utter silence , both dogs "exploded"... Managed to settle collie with valium... then learned what being "scared s***less" meant for the wee dog.... Three neat heaps on the lino..Poor wee girl...Looked .... sheepish..

When the power goes, the water pump goes off and has to be reset; and in the following deluge, there was no way I was going out to the pumphouse to do that.... Just hold a pan out at the door...

Well, we needed rain and we sure got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭thebiglewbowski

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2011051406_201105122123_1_stormforecast.xml

:cool:

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2011051406_201105122123_1_stormforecast.xml

:cool:

Woop! :) ... Too bad I'm work 2moro 4-8 tough!! :(:(

Woop! :) ... Too bad I'm work 2moro 4-8 tough!! :(:(

Aye, i know that feeling.. i swapped my shifts tomorrow, for reasons unrelated to weather obviously :rolleyes:
    Decent potential for dublin from the charts, I really hope some entertainment comes from it.

• Advertisement

The lads ON tour 2 in the states got a nice view yesterday :rolleyes:

PS : Reply on how many times u press replay . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭weisses

The lads ON tour 2 in the states got a nice view yesterday :rolleyes:

PS : Reply on how many times u press replay . :D

3 times

that strike was 3 - 400 meters away and still they stand outside the car shouting and screaming next to a powerline .... clever guys jaysus :eek: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

3 times aswell,dnt see on the first time,noticed the second time,enjoyed the third time :D

Beautiful stucture to the clouds at the moment approaching the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Great convection going on here!

First strikes appearing
    http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

2 claps of thunder here in Lucan in the past 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

I can confirm that I got a flash of forked lightning as the cloud below approached. I was very surprised that it produced lightning, considering how sedate it looks!
    P1070211.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Large hail frequent lightning SAVAGE :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

Biggest hailstones I've ever seen about 10 minutes ago in Athlone, they were like solid ice cubes. There's car alarms going off everywhere. Love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭*eadaoin

Some rolls of thunder here in Dublin 14 at the moment, sky has gotten very ominous looking in the last half hour! Haven't seen any lightning, but it's very bright and I haven't really been watching the clouds. I think I hear the sound of hailstones beginning to fall on the balcony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Molloys Clondalkin

Lots of thunder and lightining here in clondalkin a good 12 + strikes in 10 mins.
    Havent seen anything like it in years :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Beauty over Tallaght ATM. Hail and thunder!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭NewFrockTuesday

Some huge rolls of thunder here in citywest atm, plus the heaviest seige of hailstones Ive seen in a while. They set a few car alarms off. (Phoned my bro cos was getting freaked out by the thunder :()

Can hear distant thunder here, have the camera timelapsing away:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Huge thunder rolls in Dublin city centre now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Couldn't see any lightning but had a fair amount of thunder here.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Massive flash of lightning followed by instant thunder here in D12. It sounded like it hit something really close.

Typical!! , get into work and BOOM! ... Thunder! :(

N Dublin Btw

Can someone post an image grab from a lighting detection site please? Can't view them on my iPhone! :(

Still getting some fairly loud rumbles here, sunny for now but the black clouds are approaching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Joekers

big massive flash of lighting in dublin 8 lit up the whole room and its bright out :) biita hail nothing major and skies now starting to clear

Advertisement