Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Summer 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭John2009

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Was driving through Athlone when this hit...Got a vid of it aswel...Nearly had a few dints in the car!!

Great video Brendan, that was a pretty intense hail shower :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    crap. dublin getting all the fun AGAIN

Being some crazy red echoes over cork and midlands lately yet there is never any reports from there?are the radar wrong..the cloud over dublin about 4-5p.m was innocuous enough on the met radar:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

4Sheets wrote: »
    Being some crazy red echoes over cork and midlands lately yet there is never any reports from there?are the radar wrong..the cloud over dublin about 4-5p.m was innocuous enough on the met radar yet was biblical:confused:

well apart from athlone just seen the above video!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

4Sheets wrote: »
    Being some crazy red echoes over cork and midlands lately yet there is never any reports from there?are the radar wrong..the cloud over dublin about 4-5p.m was innocuous enough on the met radar:confused:

i haven't heard or seen a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    crap. dublin getting all the fun AGAIN
    not all dublin sunbabe08,didnt get a flash or bang here all day :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Timelapse of the convection from earlier (sorry about the jumps, I bumped the camera a few times:p):
    http://vimeo.com/23703179
    Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Was driving through Athlone when this hit...Got a vid of it aswel...Nearly had a few dints in the car!!
    Looks like it was really getting going there towards the end of the clip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Some activity earlier this morning in the North and North-west

Lightning124511.gif

Images Courtesy SAT24.com

Heavy showers rolling in from the Atlantic this morning have sparked off a little activity in the North-west

lightning-1-1.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A couple of sparks showing up now just south of Lough Neagh.

http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

DOCARCH wrote: »
    A couple of sparks showing up now just south of Lough Neagh.

http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

Some more sferics in the NE and NW in the last hour but its pretty tame in this neck of the woods compared to areas in southern Europe :eek:

Lightning-5.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Unbelievably heavy hail at 4.15 this afternoon for about 10 mins, ground was completely white, looked almost like snow for a few minutes! Then changed to rain which was very heavy for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Heavy hail and a lone clap of thunder here yesterday evening around 7pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Nothing happening here as usual but look at all the action in Holland and Germany !!!:eek:
    161805.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

21-05-2007 New South Wales, Australia. We don't seem to get lightning like this...

687px-Lightning_21_Feb_2007.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

It's looking juicy for us tomorrow, with widespread thunderstorms likely moving eastwards across the country, except maybe the far south. CAPE in the 600-800 range, and LI near -3K, though low deep layer shear will be somewhat of a limiting factor. The east should see some relief from the "drought".

I'd keep an eye on ESTOFEX later to see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

With the upper temps quite low, i suspect any decent surface heating will get vigorous convection going. Good potential for the whole country. Tbh i think the GFS is downplaying it, the Hirlam looks more on the money imho.

http://www.emhi.ee/index.php?ide=19,394,416,418

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Strangely this evening's TAFs have no mention of thunderstorms for any airport, just moderate rain showers. We may see some of them upgraded in the next 12 hours, at least Dublin and Knock anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Bring it on!! God knows we need some sort of exciting weather to make up for this early summer muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Dont worry folks!, i have some storms packed in my bag to bring home with me!, flight is in at 7 am so expect me to have them unpacked just b4 lunch! :D

Tlk soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

i like:)

ukcapeli.png

• Advertisement

Heavy showers have sparked off some activity in the SW in the last hour

WeatherEuropeSatelliteWeatherEuropeWeatherForecastRainfallCloudsSu_2011-06-07_09-56-42-1.png

SAT24

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Fionagus wrote: »
    Heavy showers have sparked off some activity in the SW in the last hour

SAT24
    It looked promising for us this morning but it slipped south again.:mad:

It looked promising for us this morning but it slipped south again.:mad:

The day is but a pup yet Redsteve! Let's see what the afternoon/evening brings .........

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just heard thunder to my west.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Hail/rain in Dublin CC

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Had a couple of rumbles in the last hour but nothing too major(yet!!:D).

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Something nasty heading in the Naas direction

there is a big black mega-cloud over my house right now.
    Hope it pours. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

big shower with some thunder about 2 miles away to the south of me now, but clear blue sky and sunny overhead :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭thomasj

Nothing happening here as usual but look at all the action in Holland and Germany !!!:eek:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=161805&stc=1&d=1307309211

its netherlands! :p my aunt uncle and cousins are dutch but they do not live nor are they from holland! They are in the netherlands though! Anyway geography lesson over! :D

i was in eindhoven last year, we got the best weather you could get, warm sunny days but on the final day when we were flying back out the plane got delayed because of a major thunder show! :eek: some light and sound show!

Advertisement