Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Summer 2011

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some massive hailstones in Castlebar now!! Place is white! Some noise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Jake1 wrote: »
    there is a big black mega-cloud over my house right now.
    Hope it pours. :)

I can see that one in the distance. Was just about to take a walk around to Texaco but i'm gonna hold off as it looks very ominous.

Thunderstorm after passing through Castlebar with frequent lightening and plenty of loud thunder.Heavy rain and large hail to!!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nibs05

intense thunder activity over east meath at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

Nibs05 wrote: »

Pretty sure the same storm that hit Drogheda. Fair light and sound show!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Nibs05 wrote: »
    sirpsycho wrote: »
    Pretty sure the same storm that hit Drogheda. Fair light and sound show!
    Thunderstorm after passing through Castlebar with frequent lightening and plenty of loud thunder.Heavy rain and large hail to!!

Everywhere except Galway it seems :rolleyes:

Thunder07thJune-3.gif

Still Images Courtesy SAT24

Ryanair1FQ en route to Knock is holding 20 miles to the South of Knock due to "intense CB activity" on approach to Knock.cant get below 10,000ft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

thomasj wrote: »
    its netherlands! :p my aunt uncle and cousins are dutch but they do not live nor are they from holland! They are in the netherlands though! Anyway geography lesson over! :D

i was in eindhoven last year, we got the best weather you could get, warm sunny days but on the final day when we were flying back out the plane got delayed because of a major thunder show! :eek: some light and sound show!

Meh! Holland is easier to type on the phone. So its Holland. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Very heavy downpours here with a good deal of hail. No thunder yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Some rumbles in Athlone now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

Lights dimmed in office up here in Cork Airport a few mins ago... see enclosed screenshot... didn't know it was that bad good!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,377 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ryanair1FQ en route to Knock is holding 20 miles to the South of Knock due to "intense CB activity" on approach to Knock.cant get below 10,000ft.

Hopefully there'll be none around in the afternoon tomorrow. I'm flying out of there on holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I was going to check you on this image because the one I use is not showing this storm over Galway.

Your Belfast site and the Durrow sites do show these.

Midleton is only showing the North. I must send Midleton an email.

http://www.corklightning.com/

AA Ireland have just issued the following alert for anyone driving between Athlone and Ballinasloe

*MAIN TRAFFIC* *M6/WESTMEATH/GALWAY* Very stormy and extremely slippery road conditions on the N6/M6 Dublin/Galway Rd between J11 Athlone (Centre) and J15 Ballinasloe West. There have already been a number of incidents along the route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

gbee wrote: »
    I was going to check you on this image because the one I use is not showing this storm over Galway.

Your Belfast site and the Durrow sites do show these.

Midleton is only showing the North. I must send Midleton an email.

http://www.corklightning.com/

That's John's site, he was in the states with mise , of what I know he has to update his server relays or something ha

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Iancar29 wrote: »
    That's John's site, he was in the states with mise , of what I know he has to update his server relays or something ha :)

Grand, cos I just see there isn't a link out to a home page so I can't email the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

:mad::mad::mad: once again the midlands and west of ireland are getting all the fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Darwin

Just finished with a 30 minute bout of thunder, the back end of the front had lots of rain but no thunder/lightning. Inky black skies heading in the Carlow/Kilkenny direction now.

Here's a quick pic as the front heads south east:

WeatherFront.jpg

Fionagus wrote: »
    AA Ireland have just issued the following alert for anyone driving between Athlone and Ballinasloe

*MAIN TRAFFIC* *M6/WESTMEATH/GALWAY* Very stormy and extremely slippery road conditions on the N6/M6 Dublin/Galway Rd between J11 Athlone (Centre) and J15 Ballinasloe West. There have already been a number of incidents along the route.

Any action around the city today?

Any action around the city today?

Not a whisper :( All of the action was off to the North and East of the town unfortunately

• Advertisement

Not a whisper :( All of the action was off to the North and East of the town unfortunately

I missed everything myself because I'm stuck in work.
    Looked good out there today though
    162047.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

North Kilkenny had a thunderstorm from about 6pm to 7 pm, just rain now. I saw three of the lightning strikes, was happy it stopped before it reached me as I was out in a field.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Torrential downpour here in wexford town, No thunder though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Just took these a few minutes ago:
    162058.JPG162061.JPG162060.JPG162059.JPG

Heavy rain and hail, no thunder though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

I was heading back to Galway with my girlfriend today on the motorway and was treated to a few thunder storms putting on a good show.At one stage they were lined up behind eachother and when one passed another cluster would quickly come up.Highlights included the mother of all downpours around J15 which led to a temporary lake forming and also many nice sparks over the course of half an hour.
    Sadly we did see one car that had skidded into the bank at the side of the motorway on the opposite side with an ambulance pulling up along side it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Man, i wish i was home for that yesterday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭wild handlin

Reports coming in this evening of a Tornado hitting a farm near Eglinton, Co. Derry, with it destroying one of the barns; lifting the roof off in the process.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-13704497

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Reports coming in this evening of a Tornado hitting a farm near Eglinton, Co. Derry, with it destroying one of the barns; lifting the roof off in the process.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-13704497

Jesus! I live in Eglinton and never heard nothing until now! Thats mad :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Nightskyhunter.com has some incredible pictures and video of the 'Derry Twister'
    http://www.nightskyhunter.com/Sky%20Events%20Now.html

Amazing!!:eek:

Not the same one. 2 different days.

But your guy Martin seems to get alot of good weather action down around Maghera / Magherfelt.

• Advertisement

Amazing pictures and video of yesterday's thunderstorm and funnel cloud near Maghera

More here from www.nightskyhunter.com

Advertisement