Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorm/Convective Watch - Summer 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Not the same one. 2 different days.

But your guy Martin seems to get alot of good weather action down around Maghera / Magherfelt.

Spotted that - cheers! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Some photos and video of today's tornado and yesterday's Maghera funnel here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Some heavy and thundery showers could develop across the East and South of the country this afternoon. Not much action yet but id bet on a few sparks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

darkman2 wrote: »
    Some heavy and thundery showers could develop across the East and South of the country this afternoon. Not much action yet but id bet on a few sparks.

That last run of heavy hail showers have produced some sparks in the NE & NW in the last hour

Thunder9thMay.gif
    SAT24.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Massive hail shower NO lightning :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

heavy showers down in west cork. cork city is getting a shower, gone very cold and windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

just heard thunder to my north, looks like a line of slow moving nasty showers heading into the Dublin area on the radar

confirmed strike .. http://andvari.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

edit .. lightning and massive thunder now ... getting closer!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Massive flash of lightning and deafening rumble of thunder over Templeogue (D6w) just now :D:D:D
    Car and house alarms going off. Looks like we could be in for a big one out this way.

Kensington wrote: »
    Massive flash of lightning and deafening rumble of thunder over Templeogue (D6w) just now :D:D:D
    Car and house alarms going off. Looks like we could be in for a big one out this way.

was driving through inchicore at 730 pm a whopper bolt of lightning followed by whopper thunder and hail keep it coming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

jimmynokia wrote: »
    was driving through inchicore at 730 pm a whopper bolt of lightning followed by whopper thunder and hail keep it coming
    I should have said nothing. Not a peep since :(

• Advertisement

Kensington wrote: »
    I should have said nothing. Not a peep since :(

there has be more on the way keep the fingers crossed:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Random question:

Is it an urban myth or genuinely good advice to stay away from windows when lightning is around? My mother used to be terrified of lightning, on verge of tears terrified and would always scream at me to get back from windows when I was dying to watch.

Im asking because I was in my gym just a liffey valley during yesterdays lightning over dublin and the whole place was standing at the windows having a look. I was there thinking like an eejit, "your mammy said never to do that!"

df1985 wrote: »
    Random question:

Is it an urban myth or genuinely good advice to stay away from windows when lightning is around? My mother used to be terrified of lightning, on verge of tears terrified and would always scream at me to get back from windows when I was dying to watch.

Im asking because I was in my gym just a liffey valley during yesterdays lightning over dublin and the whole place was standing at the windows having a look. I was there thinking like an eejit, "your mammy said never to do that!"

hello fellow gym member

http://www.wikihow.com/Protect-Yourself-in-a-Thunderstorm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Today, be aware that there is a slight risk of a heavy or briefly severe thunderstorm across much of the south and east, even parts of inland Connacht. Not all parameters are present but the air will become quite unstable through daytime heating and I expect there will be a few heavy showers by about 1100h on. I am not long for this waking world as the time approaches 0145 here, so I'm posting this a bit early just to tweak the interest of those who may be on hand and feel like taking up the forecast challenge. Would say Limerick to Carlow for the most likely risk area and east Galway to Kildare also a possible risk zone. As always, a slight chance of funnel clouds or F0 tornado sightings. Hail much more likely to be witnessed as freezing levels have once again fallen to easily reached cloud-top heights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Short heavy shower here in Finglas... along with some tiny tiny hail ha :)

I miss golf ball size !! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Hail in Monaghan too, no sparks though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

8 claps north of Wicklow Town past 10 minutes.

Great view from my room of the cell passing over the dublin mountains right now... there was a brief heavy hail streak for a minute or so... Cant hear any thunder from here though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭4Sheets

Heavy Hail/Rain storm in Clondalkin for past 10 ten minute or so..no thunder as yet..looking at the radar and the way the showers are intensifying could be a delightful sky gazing afternoon:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Just seen a rat running around the main road looking for some shelter. :p

323066001-627d26e85f0bd911fbdead0ff3e57498.4dfa1368-scaled.jpg

Taken a few mins ago :)

where was that taken looks rough alright

Just here in Finglas , N.Dublin, we didnt get the heaviest rain from it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Iancar29 wrote: »

NICE!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

thats over me now iancar,sadly just heavy rain no thunder :(

delw wrote: »
    thats over me now iancar,sadly just heavy rain no thunder :(

The sun is back out here now.

Twaz a nice break from editing my dvd! ... ANyone else wanting to put there name down for one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAOlDy2tF9c

Just here in Finglas , N.Dublin, we didnt get the heaviest rain from it though.

headin to finglas from the M3 cant see much going on drivin by rathoath turn off coming up towards toll Wilm keep the eyes open and camera on phone on standby great view north and south

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

How would you like if people went around saying your local area looked rough, please have some consideration for other forum user's feelings:mad:

Nothing more than a quick downpour here in wexford, can see those cells in wicklow though, they look awesome!

• Advertisement

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    How would you like if people went around saying your local area looked rough, please have some consideration for other forum user's feelings:mad:

Hahahahahaha! :D :pac:

Advertisement