Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWI Memorial Plaque

Options
  • 04-05-2011 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

Hey all, posted this in the militaria forum to see what people thought and was told that here was actually a better place for it.

Its a WWI memorial plaque that belongs to my mothers partner's great uncle who died at Ypres i believe. Anyways its somewhat more elaborate then the usual scrolls they sent out it seems so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas about why this one is different.

picture.php?albumid=761&pictureid=9432

picture.php?albumid=761&pictureid=9433

Ive found other versions that were identical to it online so theres some homogeneity to them and therefore they must be official in some way, i just find it strange how artistic it is by comparison to the normal scrolls. Anyways, any info at all appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I'm guessing here because I've never seen anything like that before but it might have something to do with his being in a Guards regiment. They are generally considered to have brighter pots to piss in than the rest of the army.

My grandfather's brother was also in the 1st Bn Irish Guards and was killed at the same battle (1st Ypres) five days after Albert Smythe. He too has no known grave and is commemorated on the Menin Gate, but then so are the majority of those killed in that battle.

Another possibility, and I may be reading a bit more than necessary into the inscription about "honour and religion", is that the Smythes were clearly Protestant and maybe people of that faith got a more specific testimonial about what they were fighting for than the Papists.

But that's all speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Another possibility, and I may be reading a bit more than necessary into the inscription about "honour and religion", is that the Smythes were clearly Protestant and maybe people of that faith got a more specific testimonial about what they were fighting for than the Papists.

But that's all speculation.

Thats actually a very interesting notion because they actually are a protestant family, never thought of that.

Advertisement