Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Master bedroom without heat

Options
  • 04-05-2011 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi,

I am looking at a property to let that doesn't currently have any form of heating in the master bedroom (all other rooms have electric heating). The landlord that showed it to me says the place is warm enough without it. I like to sleep with the door closed so that means the heat from the rest of the house, which has central heating, won't really enter the bedroom. So, I'm not sure I beleive him.

My question is, is this legal and up to code? I would have thought that all rooms must have some form of heating. Can anybody quote me the code or legal issues behind this? Other than that I like the house.

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Cathlo wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking at a property to let that doesn't currently have any form of heating in the master bedroom (all other rooms have electric heating). The landlord that showed it to me says the place is warm enough without it. I like to sleep with the door closed so that means the heat from the rest of the house, which has central heating, won't really enter the bedroom. So, I'm not sure I beleive him.

My question is, is this legal and up to code? I would have thought that all rooms must have some form of heating. Can anybody quote me the code or legal issues behind this? Other than that I like the house.

thanks!

How old is the property and how long had it been a rental unit? The housing standard act 2008 and amendments 2009 do state each room should have a heating source but there are exceptions for properties that have been rented for x number of years (on my phone so can't check the act). The exception is only till feb 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Cathlo

The house was built in mid 80's I think and I think was owner occupied until about 2008. It's been a rental since then. It originally had heat in the master bedroom but either it broke and the landlord removed it or he just removed it. I know the old radiator is now stored in the attic, so I know it once was in the room. Thanks in advance for your advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

Cathlo wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking at a property to let that doesn't currently have any form of heating in the master bedroom (all other rooms have electric heating).

Buy an electric heater.. either halogen or a blow heater. I bought a blowheater in tesco last year for €6.50 as it was half price.

If that's not an option (because you are afraid there will be an issue with the high esb bill) just give him notice that you are moving out. You can use the heater in the mean-time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

As ztoical says each room should have a heating source.

The Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2008 state:
    7. (1) Every room used, or intended for use, by the tenant of the house as a habitable room shall contain:
    (a) a permanently fixed appliance or appliances capable of providing effective heating,
    (b) suitable and adequate facilities for the safe and effective removal of fumes and other products of combustion to the external air.
    (2) The operation of any appliance referred to in sub-article
    (1)(a) shall be capable of being independently manageable by the tenant.

Your landlord is in breach of the of his obligations. You could inform him that you will make a claim with the PRTB if it is not fixed within a reasonable time (say two weeks).

Advertisement