Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

26 County Relay cycle 3rd/4th September

• 04-05-2011 8:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭

Mods, I hope its ok to post this in here:

This September 3rd and 4th, there will be a 26 county relay cycle around Ireland. The event is organised in aid of the Good Morning Drogheda project, which regularly provides contact and support for lonely older members of the community. 300 euro per rider is the suggested sponsorship amount.

The cycle will take place over 22 stages, visiting the 26 counties. (Route will follow shortly) There will be 4 teams of 8 - 12 people riding per stage, before handing off to the next team for the next stage. The first stage starts in the D hotel Drogheda, at 6 am on the 3rd September, with the final stage finishing at approx 6 pm on Sunday 4th September. The total distance for each cyclist will be approx 250 kms over the two days.

This promises to be a great cycle, which will hopefully become an annual event helping various charities around the country, and it would be great if we could get some boards representation.

If anyone is interested in taking part in this event, or would like any more information, please give me a shout.

Thanks,
    Lenny

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Count me in lenny, I can throw the jeep in if required it will carry 4/5 bikes, just need a driver.
    Should be a challenging weekend, anything else you need let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Here is an approximate route :eek:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/397879

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

Im in....should be memorable!!

lennymc wrote: »
    Here is an approximate route :eek:

That looks interesting!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I'd be interested in doing this too...

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I'd be interested in doing this too...

That would be great cdaly. Let me know if you need any more information, or pm me if you want to have a chat about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭I dont know

Good to see people raising money for worthy causes. Although tbh i'm a little disappointed you've limited it to the 26 counties. We don't bite up here y'know

I was at the meeting last night, the teams and their routes are picked, Teams are ALPHA, BRAVO, CHARLIE and DELTA.

We are team ALPHA and we are leaving 1st from the D hotel with a 6am start on September 3, the committee hope to get a bus sponsored for each team and a van to carry bikes etc(anyone with a spare BUS, VAN or Bike trailer we need it) teams are not full yet and it was decided to have 10 to 12 riders on each team and use 2 as subs, each team also need a logistics officer, a medic, the Bike shop are sending a bike mechanic.

As all funds are going to a very worthy charity each cyclist must do some fundraising. We need to get the press involved to get some exposure, this should help with the fundraising/sponsorship.
    There is a big bash being planned at the end of the final leg when we get back to Drogheda so it should finish off a good tough weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭dave.obrien

This sounds very interesting, how could I get involved?

This sounds very interesting, how could I get involved?
    Just send a pm to me or lennymc with your details and I will pass it on to the committee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭granda

i reckon i clould be up for this, count me in

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Good JOB

lenny which team are you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

Fair play Macadam for the update.

Just to add 1 point: there is a date set, 7th June, when we need to try and have the teams finalised.

Anyone that thinks they are up for it, we need your committment by that date, so ya might wanna double check with the OHs now!!!

I think dave will be issuing sponsorhip cards by mid-June, for us to go collecting!!
    Cheers

padjo5 wrote: »
    Fair play Macadam for the update.

Just to add 1 point: there is a date set, 7th June, when we need to try and have the teams finalised.

Anyone that thinks they are up for it, we need your committment by that date, so ya might wanna double check with the OHs now!!!

I think dave will be issuing sponsorhip cards by mid-June, for us to go collecting!!
    Cheers

Four more lads along with granda have joined today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

seems i've be talked into it :D:D

Every team needs a contrary whoare and someone mentioned your name, I thought I would qualify but you beat me to it.:p:p

macadam wrote: »
    Every team needs a contrary whoare and someone mentioned your name, I thought I would qualify but you beat me to it.:p:p

:D:D very smart and to think i gave you my last ROLO:D:D

:D:D very smart and to think i gave you my last ROLO:D:D
    Aye ye did, but I didnt need it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 churchfield

Mods, I hope its ok to post this in here:

This September 3rd and 4th, there will be a 26 county relay cycle around Ireland. The event is organised in aid of the Good Morning Drogheda project, which regularly provides contact and support for lonely older members of the community. 300 euro per rider is the suggested sponsorship amount.

The cycle will take place over 22 stages, visiting the 26 counties. (Route will follow shortly) There will be 4 teams of 8 - 12 people riding per stage, before handing off to the next team for the next stage. The first stage starts in the D hotel Drogheda, at 6 am on the 3rd September, with the final stage finishing at approx 6 pm on Sunday 4th September. The total distance for each cyclist will be approx 250 kms over the two days.

This promises to be a great cycle, which will hopefully become an annual event helping various charities around the country, and it would be great if we could get some boards representation.

If anyone is interested in taking part in this event, or would like any more information, please give me a shout.

Thanks,
    well done with the route myself and toney ate looking after team delta The Oldies team!!

Good to see people raising money for worthy causes. Although tbh i'm a little disappointed you've limited it to the 26 counties. We don't bite up here y'know

Hey there I Dont Know, apologies for not getting back to you, but I spoke to some people and apparently its a jurisdictional thing.

Lenny

• Advertisement

we know that fantastic part of the world ;)
    but listen why dont you join us i'm sure team alpha has a place for you;)

Update:

We are planning a couple of team cycles, one on 16th July covering the first stage and back, and one on 20th August, route TBC.

The first stage is from Drogheda to Maynooth, so that should be a nice spin.

Sponsorship cards are now available, if anyone needs them give me a shout.
    Sponsorship cards are now available, if anyone wants to sponsor us give me a shout :)

I have attached the planned route in case anyone wants. it.

Looking forward to this, only 8 weeks to go!!

Update:

We are planning a couple of team cycles, one on 16th July covering the first stage and back, and one on 20th August, route TBC.

The first stage is from Drogheda to Maynooth, so that should be a nice spin.

Sponsorship cards are now available, if anyone needs them give me a shout.
    Sponsorship cards are now available, if anyone wants to sponsor us give me a shout :)

I have attached the planned route in case anyone wants. it.

Looking forward to this, only 8 weeks to go!!

Should be a good outing if the weather is on our side, are all the teams full?

best of luck on the challenge hope all goes well .
    I wont be going myself so you can offer my spot to someone else.

wont make the 16th spin as i'll be working but i'll book the 20th off so i'll be there for that one

best of luck on the challenge hope all goes well .
    I wont be going myself so you can offer my spot to someone else.

Hey, buddy you cant back out on us now when we need you..

so i was just wondering how al the prep is going for all, as its only 4 weeks away now and are there any 'training' spins planned plus if any help is needed give me a shout as i'm free most days during the week but weekends i'm working

has a route been chosen for the 26 counties spin yet cause i was thinking we could do one in the evening and incorepiate a little riding in the dark as i for one have never cycled in the dark in a group and only rarly by myself in the dark, what do people think

hey Granda,

will you make Saturday's spin?

We will have a number of motorbikes and support vehicles driving with us, as well as lights on our bikes. There should be enough light to see any potholes, however, I would be up for a spin some evening if you lilke.

Lenny

• Advertisement

hey Granda,

We will have a number of motorbikes and support vehicles driving with us, as well as lights on our bikes. There should be enough light to see any potholes, however, I would be up for a spin some evening if you lilke.

Lenny
    providing every team stays together, your still going to need good lights.

hey Granda,

Lenny
    wont make saturday's spin as per wheelers thread but i'll let you know what day next week i'm off and going for a spin, i would like to cycle a couple of times in the dark just to get used to it ,it cant do any harm anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 churchfield

a route has long been chosen your team captain should be able to forward you the details if not ..There is a proposal for a training run this saturday morning 9.30am.I understand the intention is to try and get all envolved to meet some evening either next week or the following one.your team captain should be able to let you know

Lads can you all meet at 9.15 on the dot saturday morning for yet another photo shoot mary street ,the spin will be a 9.30 as usual .
    REMEMBER 9.15 please.
    thanks
    anto.

bumpety bump.

So we are setting off from the D Hotel in Drogheda at 6 am on Saturday. 4 teams, 26 countys, nearly 1100 kms, and a few boardsies :)

approximate route is here:

feel free to give us a nod and a wave if we are passing.

Unfortunately the weather looks like it might not be the best, but it should be good anyway.

sorry i can't make it lenny ,but have a great tour and watch out for pot holes in the dark of the night. best of luck hope all goes well ;)

• Advertisement

sorry i can't make it lenny ,but have a great tour and watch out for pot holes in the dark of the night. best of luck hope all goes well ;)

cheers anto. i was cycling around earlier with a massive torch taped to my handlebars - better than the bike lights i have anyway. :)

Advertisement