Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightmare Neighbours .....

Options
  • 04-05-2011 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Ok so house next door has always been rented out. Tenants have come and go but have always been grand. I come home one day to hear shouting and screaming "shrrup ya stupid bitch" etc etc. Apparently the last people moved out and 3 youngsters have moved in ....

Now when i say scumbags I mean, proper scarfaced, pimply, tracksuit wearing Scrotes!! 2 blokes and 1 "ahem" girl. They have 2 ****heap cars between them with no tax, insurance or anything that the abandon anywhere. ****heap corsas and starlets with loud exhausts coming to visit all times of day and night. They never leave, never work and love to have Clubland TV blaring from sunrise to sunset.

The houses are terraced and I actually think they bounce from wall to wall all the time with the noise of them. The also love to stand outside and shout down the phone to arrange a "knockabout" with the girl and some other young one! Oh and they slam the front door about every 5 mins which echoes through the whole row of houses.

What can I do to get rid of this scum?? I own my house and its a quiet little cul de sac till these arrived. I really feel that im paying through the nose for a mortgage and shouldnt have to deal with this next door. I dont know the landlord and cant think of any way to get his number?? He used to live there for about 2 years but then moved down the country. Not sure if he even knows what he has rented his property to??

Anyone been in this position before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

First things first you should try talking to them. They may not realise how much of the sound is carrying into your house and a quiet word may sort things out.

I don't think you're going to be rid of them very easily. You have a couple of things you can do though.

Their landlord should be registered with the PRTB and if you need to make a complaint about the noise you should get in touch with them first.

If their cars aren't taxed or insured you can take a note of their reg and report them to the local Garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Scooby_Doo

Talking to these people really isnt an option - for my own safety. They live next door and can make life even more difficult if they think i have it in for them! .. Ive tried to even say hello once or twice and they just stare at me like there going to stab me .. i mean these are the bottom of the barrel lowlife. Its hard to describe them without sounding like a snob but crimeline photofits would make them look good.

Cheers for the PRTB option .. ill look into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

Scooby_Doo wrote: »
    ...I dont know the landlord and cant think of any way to get his number?? He used to live there for about 2 years but then moved down the country. Not sure if he even knows what he has rented his property to??

Would any of the other neighbours know the landlords details? Even if you could find his name, you could approach the tenants with some story that you want to pass on some information, etc, and see if they will provide you a contact address or even number?

Some information on Noise Pollution here: http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Environment/AirandNoisePollution/

Is it just you that is suffering or other neighbours? Perhaps approaching the tenants as a group might prove more successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Might be worth posting over on the Accommodation and Property forum OP?

There's a load of people over there who might be able to offer a bit more advice than the folks over here?

No insult intended towards the good denizens of the NCD forum, just trying to help the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

My advice might seem a bit defeatest but here goes - try to ignore them.

If they really are as bad as you say then you don't want to get on the wrong side of them. I doubt appealing to them/or confronting them will get you anywhere. If you can get rid of them great, but if not you need to make living beside them as painless as possible. If their cars actually block your drive politely ask them to move - otherwise ignore them. If the noise is irritating can you play loud music in your own house to drown them out?

There are laws against noise pollution - but if (as it sounds) they are criminals anyway they won't care. It all depends on whether they are just annoying or are actual dangerous scumbags. It might be worth having a quiet word with the local Gardai unofficially - if they are as bad as you suggest they might know them, and might be able to give you advice.

Falling out with neighbours for any reason isnt a good idea - what's that saying "Keep your friends close but your enemies closer".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Ring management company and get landlords number.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

If it's a council house get in touch with the council.
    When there is noise pollution, ring the guards. Not much they can do but it will "mark" them down.
    Hopefully you'll get sorted soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

My first port of call would be local Gardái with car details.

After that I would contact local public reps, Alan Farrell posts here and get them to complain to Gardái also. Get your neighboursd to complain also

Do you know the landlord? Drop them a line or phone them and complain. As Eoineo stated the PRTB should also be contacted.

There were similar problems close to where I live and once the managment company were made aware it was delth with fairly swiftly.

You dont have to put up with this crap in your own home.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭LC_x

My friend had the same problem.
    She was told keep a diary of all the noise disturbances and give it to the Gaurds/Council.If they get 3''strikes'' (basically enough complaints) they'll be evicted.
    Worked for my friend so maybe you should give it a go.
    Good luck to ya anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Scooby_Doo

Cheers guys,

Some great advice there. Obviously 1st step is to try and get the landlords contact details and discuss it with him? They must have some thought for the neighbours when renting out a place? After that i may have to go down the Police/TD route. The house is registered with the PRTB as its in the list so ill contact them and see if they can pass on a number to me or contact him on my behalf.

Ill keep you all posted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭SwdDub

I don't really have much to add. I had noise problems with my neighbour but not the general aura of intimidation or sumbaggery.

All I'll say is, and I'm not trying to undermind previous posters advice, that there certainly isn't any 3 strike noise complaint system for eviction. And that any action based on noise pollution will take months and months to get anywhere if it even does.

It involves (or did when I enquired) getting a noise monitor installed in your home. It has to registers over a certain decible at certain hours. It gets taken back and read. The council (or whoever) contact the neighbours to warn them. If it happens again the process is repeated.

If it gets confirmed then they get some kind of warning. You have to repeat the process again if it continues and goes to legal proceedings. Ver, very, very drawn out process from what I was told and from what friends have gone through. Maybe it's changed but probably not.

I appreciate you not wanting to rile the neighbours in the interim as it's likely to make live even harder. I sympathise with your situation and I hope it works out.

If you do get some satisfaction then come on here and tell us all so that it can be here on boards.ie for future people who might search about these things to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BollickyBill

Scooby_Doo wrote: »
    Talking to these people really isnt an option - for my own safety. They live next door and can make life even more difficult if they think i have it in for them! .. Ive tried to even say hello once or twice and they just stare at me like there going to stab me .. i mean these are the bottom of the barrel lowlife. Its hard to describe them without sounding like a snob but crimeline photofits would make them look good.

Cheers for the PRTB option .. ill look into it!

Dear Scooby_Doo,
    My adcice to you be be not to do anything that they could trace back to you. They sound like the type of people that could be dangerous. I would just report the registrations of their cars to the Gardaí and ask them to be very discreet and keep you out of it. They can confiscate the cars now. These days it is too dangerous to confront people like that.
    Best of luck to you, you have my sympathies.
    Regards,
    BB.

Advertisement