Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

selling a camper

• 04-05-2011 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

i would like to know of anybodys experience of sellling a camper private its amazing how many people are just looking with no intention of buying or making silly offers its very annoying does anybody know where you can leave your motorhome for sale and pay a fee to the seller thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

hymer514 wrote: »
    its amazing how many people are just looking with no intention of buying or making silly offers its very annoying

welcome to my world... opened bank holiday monday , and only had 2 genuine callers.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sharkbite1983

Yup, I had the same problem.
    Ended up taking it off the market & insured it for another year.

If its a VW try type2ireland.org actually, even if its not a vw id try them, theres alot of enthusiasts who would buy for parts or to do up & resell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I suppose it depends on how much its going for really. If you have one for €15K or €20K then its quite expensive, but if it was one for say, €5K then it could be more affordable for a lot of people if you know what I mean.

That said, I was in donaghy's twice picking up some stuff for my conversion and i spent at least two hours both times looking around all their vans. Idle curiosity and trying to get ideas. Would love to be able to buy one of them but can't afford one so had no intention of buying one, but it was nice to dream for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

http://www.eastcoastcampers.ie/
    http://www.bantrycampers.com/

both of these will sell your camper for you

however i wouldnt want just anybody nosing around my pride and joy
    i would prefer to be present with whoever was looking around mine
    then i could show all the positive points and discuss with the prospective buyers

i did sell my first motorhome on donedeal though
    plenty of interest and a lot of callers,some genuine some not,but i was always on hand to be as helpful as i could

http://www.donedeal.ie/find/campers/for-sale/Ireland/

stick to the asking price and dont discuss any offers until they call to view

keep at it
    if its competitively priced and well looked after it should sell

any link to your advert?
    good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

No I have never sold a camper but from the perspective of a potential buyer turned owner this is my tuppence worth.

Without doubt there are people out there who are tyre kickers. No intention of ever buying but will still waste peoples time. (I dont understand these people but without doubt they exist.) That said it is easy for a seller to dump everyone who doesn't buy into that category when this is not the case. I'm sure there was at least one seller that thought I was a complete time waster but the fact is after due consideration I changed my mind and just because I did does not mean that I wasn't genuine when I was looking at his van.

In my experience a lot of sellers (private and sometimes dealers) dont do themselves any favours. It's amazing the information that sellers just dont bother to put into adverts. Its not like you are being charged by the word. If you dont want me to waste your time (and mine) then tell me absolutely everything about the camper in the ad and include lots (8-10 minimum) of good quality photographs. That way I wont have to waste a phone call (or worse a viewing) finding out the mileage, owners, if it has a bike rack, or that it is not quite as clean as in the photos because they were taken 2 years ago!

It is just amazing how bad some of the ads on the likes of donedeal are. Right now there are some appalling ads on page one. With some ads you would really wonder if they really want to sell their camper at all!

As for the silly offers - it is probably at its worst now due to the economy. Without doubt there are sellers out there who are desperate to sell. That and stories of a cousin of my girlfriend's, sister's, husband's, best friend, got a 2 year old camper for bugger all don't exactly help. I guess there are lots of people who will make silly offers due to this but there are also (IMO) lots of sellers asking silly money.

• Advertisement

we've had a few of "cousin of my girlfriend's, sister's, husband's, best friend, got a 2 year old camper for bugger all" call to the yard , ready to trade in/up , s'funny , when you point out the rotten crossmembers/brake pipes, leaking windows , perished tires , faulty fridgeor taps etc , they don't seem quite as good a deal....

What annoys me personally is that they don't seem to appreciate is that we have to allow a few bob for the full habitation check/service and warranty .

sorry folks , rant over .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭WildWater

Aidan_M_M wrote: »

What annoys me personally is that they don't seem to appreciate is that we have to allow a few bob for the full habitation check/service and warranty .

I agree with you there. IMO anyone who is look for the 'same' deal from a dealer as from a private sale is just being ridiculous. If you want the service/support/reassurance then you pay the premium simple as. If you want to try and fork out less and buy private then you pay a different cost (this may of course also turn out to be a nasty financial one). No such thing as a free lunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

i have sold a few privately over the years, as has been said above

have the van as you would expect find it in a showroom that is spotless with every thing working and with all your personal gear taken out,the number of times i have went to view a van to find them dirty and lots of little jobs (that will fixed if i buy) i have run a mile from never to return
    on the price be realistic with your expectations be sure to let any potential buyer know from the out set that it is priced to sell and any discount on the price will be minimal if any, this saves a lot of the time wasting further down the road and dont talk price with some one who cant even be bothered to take time to look at your van you will only give your self a headache :mad:,
    as things are at the moment it is i buyer market so it may take some time but if you price it to sell and have it presentable and make it clear form the outset you that you are not giving it away the o/p could save him self from some tyre kickers and hopefully make the sale

we've had a few of "cousin of my girlfriend's, sister's, husband's, best friend, got a 2 year old camper for bugger all" call to the yard , ready to trade in/up , s'funny , when you point out the rotten crossmembers/brake pipes, leaking windows , perished tires , faulty fridgeor taps etc , they don't seem quite as good a deal....

Same in every line of work really. There's always someone somewhere who thinks you are ripping them off because someone they know heard of something somewhere one time about this that and the other got a great deal for the same thing. Clearly you are in the wrong there of course, and you're just out to rob people.

Were you actually selling on the BH monday instead of greasing the wheels?

Greasing the wheels....??

Sold a 2008 6 berth , and hopefully a 95 5 berth!

• Advertisement

Greasing the wheels....??

It's a reference to your job as a spanner monkey, as you put it. Sorry, its the best I could do on short notice......;)

It's a reference to your job as a spanner monkey, as you put it. Sorry, its the best I could do on short notice......;)

ahhhhhhhhhh see I'm only a thick mechanic...:o

ahhhhhhhhhh see I'm only a thick mechanic...:o

I never was very good at quick witted humour, my oh tells me all the time.

Advertisement