Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BlackBerry 8520 Curve

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Blackberry's need an add-on to function. Most networks have the bill pay add-on but some also do pre pay the add-on. The add-on is called BIS. Blackberry's compress data over the air so use less data then the average phone to do the same thing. They are amazing for email but the 8520 is only an EDGE device at most (no 3G). It wont matter too much for email and browsing but it's nice to have 3G.

The current best pre pay BIS plan is from meteor. 9.99 per month for 1gb of data and the BIS add-on. Plus it;s free for the first 3 months with meteor.

http://www.meteor.ie/blackberry/

Vodafone also have pre pay blackberry but their plan costs 50 cent per day and data is only allowed over the blackberry.net APN which can be restrictive

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Blackberry's need an add-on to function. Most networks have the bill pay add-on but some also do pre pay the add-on. The add-on is called BIS. Blackberry's compress data over the air so use less data then the average phone to do the same thing. They are amazing for email but the 8520 is only an EDGE device at most (no 3G). It wont matter too much for email and browsing but it's nice to have 3G.

The current best pre pay BIS plan is from meteor. 9.99 per month for 1gb of data and the BIS add-on. Plus it;s free for the first 3 months with meteor.

http://www.meteor.ie/blackberry/

Vodafone also have pre pay blackberry but their plan costs 50 cent per day and data is only allowed over the blackberry.net APN which can be restrictive

sorry to bump.

you mention the 8520 has edge type capabilites but not 3g, what i wanna try work out is this - i have used edge on old phones, and the look and load was crap, like basic mobile only pages, no pix etc, where as when i had orig iphone it used edge, but you could look at pages proper, like with pics etc, no old crappy mobile internet looking stuff. so which category would the 8520 fall into pls. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

hdowney wrote: »
    sorry to bump.

you mention the 8520 has edge type capabilites but not 3g, what i wanna try work out is this - i have used edge on old phones, and the look and load was crap, like basic mobile only pages, no pix etc, where as when i had orig iphone it used edge, but you could look at pages proper, like with pics etc, no old crappy mobile internet looking stuff. so which category would the 8520 fall into pls. thanks

Edge on a blackberry 8520 should be fine for browsing the web/images and email and bbm but it would be too slow for youtube and tethering.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Edge on a blackberry 8520 should be fine for browsing the web/images and email and bbm but it would be too slow for youtube and tethering.

ah thats grand. i mainly youtube on my phone in bed when i realize i forgot to look someone up on my comp (and i am on wifi then neway) and i don't tether so. :) 99.9 percent certain i am getting the 8520 on tuesday. then i am gonna send my iphone4 off to have the home button fixed and sell it on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I have the 8520 about 18mnths now. The best fone I have had. I love it. It is the base model for Black berry but FB,Twitter, email etc are fine on it. I am on the Vodafone Pay As You Go option.€20 gets me unlimited texts (I am not big one for calls) email BBM FB Twitter Ping and whatever else you can find in the BB app world. I have given it tons of abuse and only needed to replace the trackpad (very easy). Once you get used to the keypad and find out all the functions etc it is great.Software wise I never had a single issue. When the phone runs slow or acts up just pull out the battery and reinsert. Simple as that.:cool:

• Advertisement

bcmf wrote: »
    I have the 8520 about 18mnths now. The best fone I have had. I love it. It is the base model for Black berry but FB,Twitter, email etc are fine on it. I am on the Vodafone Pay As You Go option.€20 gets me unlimited texts (I am not big one for calls) email BBM FB Twitter Ping and whatever else you can find in the BB app world. I have given it tons of abuse and only needed to replace the trackpad (very easy). Once you get used to the keypad and find out all the functions etc it is great.Software wise I never had a single issue. When the phone runs slow or acts up just pull out the battery and reinsert. Simple as that.:cool:

id say getting used to the keypad will take a little, i spent ages getting used to the iphone keypad!

is bbm any different to your normal mail - like on my iphone, i have it set to receive my gmail, can i do the same on bbm, and what is ping!?

unfortch will still need to get an itouch for all the apps on my phone and my 4000 songs! (there are some of the free apps on the bb but a lot are missing, and the paying ones - a, cost more, and b don't wann pay for again!)

hdowney wrote: »
    id say getting used to the keypad will take a little, i spent ages getting used to the iphone keypad!

is bbm any different to your normal mail - like on my iphone, i have it set to receive my gmail, can i do the same on bbm, and what is ping!?

unfortch will still need to get an itouch for all the apps on my phone and my 4000 songs! (there are some of the free apps on the bb but a lot are missing, and the paying ones - a, cost more, and b don't wann pay for again!)

Keypad: I have never used an iphone so cant compare to it BUT its a lot easier to get used to then you would think EG to get caps just hold the key for a second and it changes

BBM is effectively an Instant Message system. Every Black berry has its own unique pin (mine is 212F57AB) and its different to email as in its 'live' and happens on your screen. e-mail and bbm is automatically set as 'push' as in its automatically sent to your phone. You can have multiple email accounts on your device
    Ping is effectivley another instant message system but can be used form say a berry to an iphone etc and once you have a data package will work anywhere
    You can get an sd card (every BB has different capacities so have a quick search on crackberry.com) of up to 4gb for storage.
    The only downside is the camera is CRAP

bcmf wrote: »
    Keypad: I have never used an iphone so cant compare to it BUT its a lot easier to get used to then you would think EG to get caps just hold the key for a second and it changes

BBM is effectively an Instant Message system. Every Black berry has its own unique pin (mine is 212F57AB) and its different to email as in its 'live' and happens on your screen. e-mail and bbm is automatically set as 'push' as in its automatically sent to your phone. You can have multiple email accounts on your device
    Ping is effectivley another instant message system but can be used form say a berry to an iphone etc and once you have a data package will work anywhere
    You can get an sd card (every BB has different capacities so have a quick search on crackberry.com) of up to 4gb for storage.
    The only downside is the camera is CRAP

what do you do with that unique pin, like do you need it to find ppl to talk to etc (i am a COMPLETE bb novice, cannot wait tho!).
    not to bothered about the camera tbh, don't take massive pics with my iphone even!

That pin is what you will need to use Blackberry messenger and what identifies your phone when you plug it into Blackberry Desktop Manager. Its like a phone number. Without it you can't do anything.

Ah coolies. was wondering. like if you needed it to find other ppls on the blackberry messenger yoke r nething!.

roll on next wednesday, gonna b ordering it from the netz on tuesday so it should be here on wednesday :D

• Advertisement

well if you need any help just shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Pastel_Princess

I got my Blackberry Curve just before Christmas and I find the internet very slow on it, I do be waiting a few minutes at times just to open a page and youtube won't even load on it.

It is very handy though with gmail and twitter but I don't think I'd be buying another one when I need a new phone.

I got my Blackberry Curve just before Christmas and I find the internet very slow on it, I do be waiting a few minutes at times just to open a page and youtube won't even load on it.

It is very handy though with gmail and twitter but I don't think I'd be buying another one when I need a new phone.

is this when you are connecting over edge or wifi?

When I connect mine via my home wifi its not too bad but when the odd occasion arises that I connect in the outside world it is quite slow. If you are thinking of webbing on your device this may not be for you. For everything else its great and possibly bombproof. Considering I would normally go through a fone every 6-9mnths due to abuse for this to last 18mnths plus is saying something. In fact the only phone to even come close to it was the nuclear proof SE K800. Now that took some abuse and refused to give up.

i don't think i would be connecting outside too often tbh, if i was it would mainly be email, facebook and twitter rather than browsing various sites. i will be getting an iTouch to put all of the apps and music off my iPhone on, so will be taking that everywhere to play the games on and listen to the music too. that should please god preserve the battery life of the bb. my iPhone needs daily charging cos i use it ALL the time what with phone, games, music, diary etc.

i am looking forward to not having one device be my entire life. like my phone being a seperate entity to my music player. at times i found it difficult walking along the road listning to music and trying to text with the earphone cable being so long. it will be nice. also if i had the iPhone connected to the car speakers playing music and the phone rang, the music cut off and the phone rang through the speakers. Annoying. will be nice to keep them seperate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭ratzy

If i buy a second hand blackberry curve can i sign up for free textx and free internet with meteor?

Advertisement