Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TY V 5th year?

• 04-05-2011 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Hey guys smile.gif Well I have two questions in one here but oh well!

My cousin is going onto 5th year next year. She wants to do TY but most of her friends are going straight onto 5th year. She was only 15 last month meaning she'll be 17 doing the leaving cert. She was wondering,if possible,would she be able to switch to TY halfway through the year? Would that be possible or would she have to stay in 5th year even if she really didn't want to?

Also,I'm doing TY next year,except there's SO many people doing it that only 25 names are being drawn out of a hat frown.gif Is it possible for me to get in even if 25 names are drawn and I'm not one of them? Is there actually anything I could do to get into TY?

Thank you smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'd say she'd have to stay in 5th, but TY sounds like a good idea for her because 17 is quite young for doing the leaving imo. As for yourself, a hats a hat. I don't know if you could unless you petitioned really hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

im 17 doing the leaving :D....so was my brother and he got 595

and yes expectations are high:eek::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Zosterops

It really depends on your school. Some schools might allow you to transfer into TY within the first few weeks. My school is different, only 80% of 3rds years go into TY. The other 20% go into 5th year. Of course every 3rd year that wants TY fills out a form to apply for it and only a few don't get it.

TY was fun at the start but it is really boring. You forget alot of your junior cert because you aren't revising it. I got endless Amounts of silent study classes with no books to study and not being allowed to talk.

Oh and if you don't get TY then do what everyone else does. Bitch about it and get your parents to fight for you as to how the year could benefit you..etc
    I know someone who didn't apply for TY and yet he was given a place anyway. He declined though

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭KKBL

I did TY and I'm in 5th year now and trust me its worth it. It's so much fun and it gives you a much better outlook on the Leaving Cert and what you want to do when you leave school. If you don't get accepted for TY in your school then you should consider doing it in another school.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭pockets3d

17 is young for the leaving?
    I've a mate who'll be 16 until the september after his leaving!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

brownlad wrote: »
    so was my brother and he got 595(

That's not possible? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 carlyle

brownlad wrote: »
    im 17 doing the leaving :D....so was my brother and he got 595

and yes expectations are high:eek::(

595?? How'd he manage that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Of course it's possible, a few months or even a year doesn't automatically give someone increased wisdom...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

carlyle wrote: »
    595?? How'd he manage that?

he is the gem of the family...:mad: ah he is just a bit smart( he is fairly cocky too)...he says he didnt study much though ... buuuuulllllll $hit is what i said....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

But you cant get 95 points, how did he get 595?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

age had nothing to do with it. i'll be 19 before the Leaving and i believe my 15 year old brother would do better than me if he was in my year now. not saying i'm stupid or anything but intelligence doesn't count on just age...

Haha I get it now, awkward...

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

In my school people are able to drop down in the first few months. Having said that, they really want everyone to do TY, so I suppose it's not the same. I'll be 17 doing the Leaving Cert, because I didn't do TY, and it hasn't affected my grades!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

I did TY as I would have been 17 doing the leaving.

I see it as the worst mistake I've ever made in my life. Waste of a year of my life and it did absolutely nothing for me. In fact I think I came out of it worse off as I had forgotten absolutely everything from the Junior Cert and was well behind going into 5th year. Also as an added note barely any of my friends went in with me and although I did make friends with everyone in the year I think my personality took a turn for the worse as I became quiet and reserved - I don't think I would have gotten like that if I had stuck with my original group of friends.

It all depends on your school though. Mine was crap for TY even though it was a fairly good school. And also I wouldn't recommend it if you don't have a mate or two going in with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I think i'm one of the minority that actually loved TY. I honestly think it was the best year of my life. In my opinion it's only boring if you allow it to become so. Like last year I kind of felt the day dragging on in the first week, so I joined the Debate Team and it is now one of my favourite passions! We did Fencing last year and the Boys & Girls Teams won the All- Ireland! Also take as many doss classes as you can, enjoy the year! I think I went to 4 physics classes all year last year, the teacher never asked any questions so I never told any lies!. If you do get into TY then just GET INVOLVED.. Don't sit in the background moping about "how ****e this is etc" as so many people do. Put your name in for everything and enjoy yourself!.

Oh by the way the fact that only 25 people get to partake is ridiculous.. 73 people did TY with me last year!, but I suppose if needs must!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Wonderstruck

I'm 17 doing the LC and all my friends did TY, but I'm so happy I didn't do it.

Yes, 5th year is a step up from the JC but at least you won't, like my friends did, pretty much forgotten how to hold a pen. TY isn't like doing fifth year twice... you might as well just not show up to school for a year!

Some of them chose to do French for the LC and, of course, they didn't do a tap in TY and now have to learn the whole language all over again. I did loads of the silly things they did in TY in spare time with my actual friends... maybe I'm really anti-social but I don't really want to go on holiday with people from school and teachers... that's no fun!

Avoid it! Do you REALLY want an extra year in school? I mean, you can 'find yourself' or any of that nonsense in the years after you leave school and have no horrible exams looming over you!

I don't get why it matters doing your LC at 17... I think it's far worse doing it at 19 and looking at the same age as the teachers (okay that's only a few of the people...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

I think it's far worse doing it at 19 and looking at the same age as the teachers

..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm 17 doing the LC and all my friends did TY, but I'm so happy I didn't do it.

Yes, 5th year is a step up from the JC but at least you won't, like my friends did, pretty much forgotten how to hold a pen. TY isn't like doing fifth year twice... you might as well just not show up to school for a year!

Some of them chose to do French for the LC and, of course, they didn't do a tap in TY and now have to learn the whole language all over again. I did loads of the silly things they did in TY in spare time with my actual friends... maybe I'm really anti-social but I don't really want to go on holiday with people from school and teachers... that's no fun!

Avoid it! Do you REALLY want an extra year in school? I mean, you can 'find yourself' or any of that nonsense in the years after you leave school and have no horrible exams looming over you!

I don't get why it matters doing your LC at 17... I think it's far worse doing it at 19 and looking at the same age as the teachers (okay that's only a few of the people...)
    This. TY will only do you a disservice academically, just be aware of that

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Chea

Okay well take it from me, a person that skipped T.Y, that it can be a huge mistake. I was gonna do it since it would help me socially and since I've no idea what to fill into my CAO form.. Up until 5th Year I would have been one of the smartest in my class for pretty much every subject. I got an A in Maths History English and Science for my Junior Cert all higher level and the rest were B's apart from CSPE :P So I'll be 17 in August and have found 5th Year real difficult. I've dropped down to pass Maths recently and considering I was decent at maths up until this year it's very disappointing.. I also regret picking Physics as I'm awful at it.. It's as boring as staring at **** but I thought I'd love it since I'm good at Science and Computers.. If I repeat 5th Year I should be able to go back to Honours Maths (I actually wasn't in the top class until after the J.C results :pac:) and pick the likes of Business as opposed to Physics.. I did awful in my Christmas tests and I wanna start off with a clean slate and probably take up an extra subject as cover next year.. Suggestions?

This. TY will only do you a disservice academically, just be aware of that

In fairness that's a wild assumption to make, and it's not true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

TY will only do you a disservice academically, just be aware of that

Completely ridiculous. Agreed TY is not for everyone but in my personal experience it's the people who did it so they could have a doss year hate it and the people who did it to benefit from it actually do benefit from it.
    You might not realize how much you'l benefit from it untill leaving cert year but you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I'm in TY at the moment and really being honest, it was the best year ever. I would recommend it to everyone!
    It depends on your school and yourself really as to what you get out of it. If you put a lot into it, you'll get a lot out of it.
    I had to do TY because of my age (Would have been 14 in 5th year) but I don't regret any of it! I didn't know anyone going into TY but now I'm friends with my whole class.
    I've matured loads too. I was quite a shy person and although I'm not totally out of that, I can now go up and do stage presentations and act in front of lots of people without getting that nervous.
    I'm finished TY next week and i'm dreading finishing! I think it's great and even if your school doesn't do much, you can still do things on your own.
    We were told that people who do TY get on average 40 points more than people who don't.
    You can see the difference in TY's and people who went straight to 5th year (in the same year). In TY you do different things and a lot of those are done on your own, you're not spoon fed eg. projects, mini company etc.
    In my opinion I think it's great and you should try and do it if possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭happyfish

Am i stupid but why can you not get 595?:D
    I'm sure I am stupid.....

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭teenagedream

happyfish wrote: »
    Am i stupid but why can you not get 595?:D
    I'm sure I am stupid.....

You can't get 95 points in a subject.
    90 or 100 but not 95.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

This whole situation depends on your school. In my school there was only 25places as well but the whole 25 girls didn't take it so there were vacincies. Your chances are high if you are near the top of the waiting list (if you don't get it).

If TY is full in your cousin's school and she feels like she cant handle 5th year she may not be able to move in. She could go into a different school or repeat TY.

I didn't do TY myself and was 17 for the whole frst year of college which was tough. I'm very mature and was able to cope with the stress and pressure (isn't always school related) of 5th year but my little brother who was in the same situation Had to do TY. I wouldn't worry about your friends when you are making this decision as you will still keep in touch and make new friends. I would look at your own maturity, ability to handle stess and confidence before deciding.

Advertisement