Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Duathlon no.1, 04/05/2011

• 04-05-2011 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Good turnout again for this one like last year.Very windy in spots especially going down the end of the Kyber.Happy enough, especially with second run as i made 10-12 places back after a poor bike.Just over 49mins so lots of room to improve especially with better conditions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

very good time,any results up?what was the top 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Q7

very good time,any results up?what was the top 3?
    Results and photos here http://www.irishtriathlon.com/index.php/2011/05/runways-duathlon-phoenix-park-may-2011/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Went down to have a look yesterday, the marshalling was sh1t...people walking on the cycle course, cars driving along the course, somebody nearly walked out in front off that lad Keane, event winner...This event is usually well marshalled but for some reason they were lucky nobody was seriously hurt...might give the next one a go, done it 3 years ago and it was good crack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭trinewbie

heffsarmy wrote: »
    Went down to have a look yesterday, the marshalling was sh1t...people walking on the cycle course, cars driving along the course, somebody nearly walked out in front off that lad Keane, event winner...This event is usually well marshalled but for some reason they were lucky nobody was seriously hurt...might give the next one a go, done it 3 years ago and it was good crack.

The Marshalling was fine.

The issue with traffic came from cars already parked on the course on the start finish straight, these cars belonged to people involved in football matches in the filed adjacent to the course. When the matches were over these lads hopped back in their cars and drove along the course. This was a nightmare for marshalls and there was nothing that could be done to prevent it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

I understand were the cars were coming from, before the race started the marshalls should have made them aware that there would be a race, when the race starts they are not aloud to drive there cars untilt the race was over. A few cones and signs with stakes can work wonders. A gang off walkers were about to walk across the course when a lad from the pulse tri club shouted at them and told them there was a race on, they had'nt a clue what was going on like most of the people walking there dogs or out for a stroll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭daymobrew

trinewbie wrote: »
    The Marshalling was fine.
    One mini bus burst through the marshalls outside the hospital. Marshalls were shouting at the driver but he continued up Acres Road past transition.

I gave details to the race organiser, Brian Crinion, and said that he can report it to the mini bus company.

Impressive work by Brian to get the results and photos up so quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Tom Fiat

There was a herd of deer running around the place also, cost me at least 30 seconds.
    Very poor value for money I felt in general - 26 euros and not even a free t-shirt.
    Mi-wadi orange at the finish line.
    I could do a triathlon for around 40 quid afterall. Wont be returning for future events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Tom Fiat

It reaked of amateurism in my opinion and I've been competing in similar events for the last 5 years
    I dont mind that too much but I wont be paying 26 quid or whatever for it again.

I also heard that some "gentleman" along the route tried to obstruct a cyclist mid-competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

mloc123 wrote: »
    So if its a for profit company are the marshalls paid?

I think there's a "marshall for free places" scheme.

I used to do these races regiliously, but after some unsatisfactory email exchanges with RD concerning insurance - I won't be back. I believe he looks after the Docklands 5mile too, thats another race off my list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I think any profit thats made goes back into the club, pool hire, hire of facilities for training etc during the year. I think any marshals or people helping out are either club members or people who have signed up to help out, if you look at irish triathlon.com you can volunteer to help out their events in return for a free entry into another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

christeb wrote: »
    I believe he looks fter the Docklands 5mile too, thats another race off my list.
    According to Rathfarnham AC website some of their members are involved in the organisation of the Docklands run as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭911sc

Regardless of which pocket the money ends in and politics, i have always really enjoyed these races. Well organised, seems to run smoothly, just turn up and race.
    Paid €60 for 4 races which is alright IMO. I would cost me more than €15 to spend 1 hour in a pub:rolleyes:

Anyway, finished last night in 47:52, which is 40sec faster than 2 years ago (did not run in 2010), so happy enough. 47min is therefore the target for next race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭hawkwing

911sc wrote: »
    Regardless of which pocket the money ends in and politics, i have always really enjoyed these races. Well organised, seems to run smoothly, just turn up and race.
    Paid €60 for 4 races which is alright IMO. I would cost me more than €15 to spend 1 hour in a pub:rolleyes:

Anyway, finished last night in 47:52, which is 40sec faster than 2 years ago (did not run in 2010), so happy enough. 47min is therefore the target for next race.
    I paid 60 also for 4 races which you could almost pay for 1 half marathon in places.Also there are not much in the way of duathlons from April on so it keeps the bike interest going for non-swimmers.You will always have members of the public in the way in the Phoenix Park and the deer have interrupted everything from the adidas series to the marathon so nothing can be done there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Brian Crinion

I’ll try and respond and give a bit of background to people’s queries and complaints.

Firstly, I wasn’t at the race on Wednesday, I was only at the tidy-up afterwards, but I know that the buck stops with me for the Phoenix Park Duathlons, so please do email with your comments to brian@irishtriathlon.com . I’ll be talking with most of the marshals on tomorrow’s club spin, so we can work on issues for next month's Duathlon.

Background
    There’s lots of reasons for the success of the Duathlons in the Park. A few are prize money, location, closed roads, speed and accuracy of results, quantity and speed of the photography, entry fees. This goes to explain why there’s no series larger in Ireland or in the UK.

There’s no monopoly on organising duathlons in the Phoenix Park, there have been three copycats over the years; Stoneman in 2004, Dublin City Duathlon in 2006 and Alive Outside in 2010. All have charged competitors higher entry fees, but ultimately made no money and did not last.

Finance queries
    I’ll happily outline what’s in the public domain. Last year Belpark made over €4,500 from the Duathlon Series, which helps to pay for pool hire, coaching, subsidised gear, club parties, etc. It’s the reason Belpark doesn’t have a membership fee. However the Duathlons are similar to club events throughout the country, in that they are primarily run to promote the club, sport and to attract beginners into the sport.

Personally I left the security of a public service job in 2009 to go full time organising events. Lots of race organisers plead the poor mouth here on boards.ie , but I won’t. Work’s great, we’ll have three people working full time from the middle of the month and several part time, entries are up at the Duathlons and new races like Galway have already sold out, we’ve been asked to run new events for charities, local authorities as well as clubs.

Again I know that the buck stops with me for the Phoenix Park Duathlons, so please do email with your comments to brian@irishtriathlon.com .
    Hope to see you on the start line soon,
    --
    Brian Crinion
    Irish Triathlon www.irishtriathlon.com
    Facebook www.facebook.com/irishtriathlon.page
    Twitter twitter.com/IrishTriathlon

Events: www.wicklowadventurerace.com - www.dublintri.com - www.galwaytriathlon.com - www.docklandsrun.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Brian Crinion

Last year Belpark made over €4,500 from the Duathlon Series, which helps to pay for pool hire, coaching, subsidised gear, club parties, etc.

mloc123
    I thought I was clear. I can state it again "Belpark made over €4,500 from the Duathlons last year".

If you're interested TriEvents turned over hundreds of thousands at the events last year:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

No doubt, its amazing what newbies will pay for some races :)

You find someone paying E15 for a duathlon amazing? What price would you expect to pay?

Judging by the times, quality of the field and clubs attending, it wasn't newbies handing over money on Wednesday night or at any of the WAR events.

Found the WAR events to be well organised, good craic and decent value. E20 for the Hellfire duathlons is also good value imo, with a free training night thrown in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

As a newbie I felt it was a great night and I really enjoyed it. I've signed up for all 4 and at 60 quid I feel it is great value. Where are all these duathlons that are better value or a beter event for less than 15?

MLOC obviously has issues outside of this event and feels maybe stupid newbies will drive up prices as they are inexperienced and will sign up at any asking price?

hawkwing wrote: »
    and the deer have interrupted everything
    I'll blame the organisers for that. They could catch the deers before the race and lock them up.:rolleyes:
    I hope this major issue will be dealt with for the next race otherwise we'll hear the moaners again:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

Why have you to either be a member of Triathlon Ireland or pay €8 more per entry if this is not a TI event? I thought that these races were sanctioned by TI since they are charging people extra if not a member. If they are not, then TI membership doesn't cover your insurance I think...so what the extra €8 for?
    I did the duathlon on Wed and thought it was pretty decent, thought it was organised ok, no bag security though:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭hawkwing

I'll blame the organisers for that. They could catch the deers before the race and lock them up.:rolleyes:
    I hope this major issue will be dealt with for the next race otherwise we'll hear the moaners again:rolleyes:
    Lad i'm saying nothing can be done about the deer by any race organiser in response to the person who said they lost 30secs cos of them,as this happens in lots of the phoenix park races.As someone who spends 4-5 days a week in the park i get on well with them myself :)Anyways i'll be there for the next 3 if able.

• Advertisement

FAILED....but enjoyed the event again
    Finished in 48:56, so 1min04sec slower than May... but gained 2 places, 101th instead of 103rd:)
    T1 was a disaster as i could not find my bike...Using May timing as reference, i spend 30sec extra like a headless chicken! Otherwise this would have put in me into 92nd place..
    Well, 47min is going to be hard, but getting below 100th it there.. July will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭daymobrew

T1 was a disaster as i could not find my bike
    I have a hi-viz cover on my backpack which I leave at the edge of transition, close to my bike (but not in anyone's way). This helps me find my bike quickly. I also park at the end near the entrance to transition where there are less bikes.

I am getting a helium ballon, a pair of glasses and a gps tracker for Athy tomorrow:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭tinydave

I am getting a helium ballon, a pair of glasses and a gps tracker for Athy tomorrow:)

and a rice trail and a few neon flashing signs! its gonna be packed :eek:

Or just walk through transition after setting up your bike and remeber the route..

I can't remember the route as the lanscape has changed too much... usually loads of bikes when i rack mine, no bike left when i pick it up. :rolleyes:
    You would think it's easier to spot it though...

Advertisement