Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

late bars in cork

Options
  • 04-05-2011 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

hey people... heading to cork for friday and saturday night... just lookin for the name of some good lat bars... NOT NIGHTCLUBS.... group of guys all in late 20's early 30's..... where is decent?? even places that aren't late bars?? suggestions...

oh and without soundin fussy... anywhere that plays hip-hop/techno/house/dance/garage.... that kind of scene... please DONT suggest...

thanks people :)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

the brog
    the quad

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Auror

Well if your looking for the usual cattle mart scene you could try riordans on washington street, or the bailey across the street. The thing about the latter is they really like to pack the place out with 18/20 y/o's.

Further down towards the centre of town on Oliver Plunkett Street, you've got the grafton, respectable enough crowd in there typically mid twenty somethings to thirtysomethings.

Further down Oliver Plunkett street you've got the old oak across from the GPO, although the clientele is everything from mid 20's to pension book age.

Around the corner from the GPO you've got the crane lane theatre, late bar and club, free entry before around 11 if memory serves me correctly.

If I think of any more will post them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bronie82

Just wondering if any of these bars are open on a Wednesday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭djd80

Soho on Grand Parade
    Bodega
    Woodford

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

open every night.

also slainte on tuckey street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

the brog

Went in there on saturday night. First time in years. What a fecking dump. Never seen so many ugly people in my life. Might be fine for young smelly students, but anyone who is prone to a bar of soap and aged over 20, stay well clear.

The Slate on the other hand is a gem. Great music and a very nice crowd in there generally. That said, Saturday was a bit crap there as well. It seems The Bowery filled up too quick and people just went into the Slate instead. Plus, whats the deal with the "room" to the right when you walk in? New addition. Smoking room I am guessing?

Pav is an excellent late bar as well. Brilliant for music, and some cheap Cobra and Sol as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 graffikaz

The Classic isnt bad, went there a few weeks back on a Saturday night and there was a good crowd there the age group you mentioned, groups of men and women all in good form out for a good night but not rammed in like a cattle mart just a nice atmosphere. The music was a good mix of chart kinda music no specific genre. Not sure if its always like this or not but its worth giving it a go as it ticks all the boxes you mentioned. Oh and by the way its a late bar we didnt leave until 1.30am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

away from the catttle marts - counihans upstairs is great as a late bar at weekends and crane lane across the road - also Electric goes late at weekends and has cool music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Reardens (for women and for ignorant snobby ****s and their stupid ****ign hairstyles)

Crane Lane (also for ignorant snobby ****s and their stupid ****ing hairstyles)

Pavilion (bar downstairs, beware of incompetent staff!!) (Friday + Saturday only afaik)

The Crane lane is the best of the three, it's a really good late bar, by far the best in Cork.

Before anyone rants at me, I'm not taking myself too seriously here :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

The Bróg and Sober lane...with sber lane winning my heart as the staff there are dead on.

I hear great things about crane lane but have yet to go there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Taking your music choice in to consideration I'd suggest the Old Oak, Electric or Riordans. The generally stay clear of anything your going to find playing in clubs and in my experience the music isnt that loud in eitehr place that you couldnt have a conversation without shouting.

Plenty of good suggestions here though and every bar has their advantages and dis-advantages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Seloth wrote: »
    The Bróg and Sober lane...with sber lane winning my heart as the staff there are dead on.

Sober Lane is not a late bar. Which is a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

Crane Lane is the place to go, you might even see a good band if you're lucky.

gimmick wrote: »
    Sober Lane is not a late bar. Which is a pity.

I really like the sober lane but I do think that their prices are very high and the quality of their beers on tap is pretty ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Avoid Fred Zeppelins like the plague, **** drink rude and ignorant bar staff and the owner is the biggest conman in a city full of con men.

Show Time wrote: »
    Avoid Fred Zeppelins like the plague, **** drink rude and ignorant bar staff and the owner is the biggest conman in a city full of con men.

The drink is grand, the cheap stuff is drinkable. Who cares what the owner is like, I doubt there's a busy pub in the city with an owner who isn't eccentric or an asshole.

Advertisement