Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

late bars in cork

Options
  • 04-05-2011 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

hey people... heading to cork for friday and saturday night... just lookin for the name of some good lat bars... NOT NIGHTCLUBS.... group of guys all in late 20's early 30's..... where is decent?? even places that aren't late bars?? suggestions...

oh and without soundin fussy... anywhere that plays hip-hop/techno/house/dance/garage.... that kind of scene... please DONT suggest...

thanks people :)

oh and is there dress codes in most places?? i'm assumin since its a student town that it's fairly casual?????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The Crane Lane or the Quad would be where I would usually end up. The Crane Lane nearly always has some kind of a crowd going, and the Quad can be good and quiet on weeknights.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 finno26

The Crane Lane or the Quad would be where I would usually end up. The Crane Lane nearly always has some kind of a crowd going, and the Quad can be good and quiet on weeknights.

what about places like classic bar or reaordns???? just checkin those places online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

finno26 wrote: »
    what about places like classic bar or reaordns???? just checkin those places online

Classic bar only stays open till 12 I think, but Its nice there. I might be wrong though. Rearden's is good I like it there and the Old Oak is a late Bar too, older crowd there. Check out Cyprus Avenue too, its just above the old oak, theres often gigs on there on the weekend, not badly priced there either.
    Crane Lane is very good also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Rearden's is full of men trying to look good and orange women trying to find a husband. The Old Oak is the same but more desperate.

Crane Lane is good.
    Quad is a rock(kind of) bar, and generally quiet.
    The Slate is decent, alternative music, small but with a good crowd, sometimes it's packed though. (And by alternative music I don't mean teenager music, just decent music most places wouldn't play.)

The Crane Lane would be where I'd go with a mixed crowd.
    The Quad is where I'd go if I was looking for a quieter spot or some heavy(ish) music in a dingy spot.
    The Slate would be where I would go if it was me and a few close friends.

Edit: I saw the Brog recommended in the other thread. I'd avoid it along with Reardens and The Old Oak. It's full of precocious tweens acting like jumped up adults. There's some cool people in there but they're vastly out numbered. It stopped being a good bar about seven years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Led Zeppelins :D

• Advertisement

Led Zeppelins :D

AKA Fred Zeppelins.

Not a late bar. Good pub though if you're into heavy rock/metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I second The Slate and Crane Lane - although both do get extremely packed, if less so of a Friday night. The Quad has always struck me personally as fairly lifeless. The Pav(illion) plays soul/funk and has a live venue upstairs. Is the Franciscan Well a late bar? I'm pretty sure it is. I know the Bróg is full of kiddies but there are other age groups there too - you'd find 18-40+. You'd even find a few auld fellas propping up the bar. :) It gets jammers too though. I wouldn't recommend Reardens or the Old Oak OP as they play the kind of music you say you don't want. The Bodega is like those too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Is the Franciscan Well a late bar? I'm pretty sure it is.
    If they have the license they don't always enact it. Often been there when it closed on standard hours.

Dudess wrote: »
    The Quad has always struck me personally as fairly lifeless.

Aye, it is. That's why it's grand if you want to listen to some different music, while sitting down at a table at 2am.
    The Pav(illion) plays soul/funk and has a live venue upstairs.

Is the Pav a late bar? I guess it is, I never think of it when I'm in town, but I have been in there until 2am. I think it's also one of the only late bars with a wheelchair bathroom. Good choons in there too.
    Is the Franciscan Well a late bar? I'm pretty sure it is.

I don't think so. Maybe for Octoberfest and Easterfest, but not the other times of the year.

Advertisement