Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rate your surf school on face book

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭luisspellcast

I can see all the hate from the people who never got it surfacing in the form of a 1 star rate followed by a censorable comment-- then the defensive comment from the ones who got it...

sounds like a bad idea to me: a surf school (good or bad) will tell you the same thing an YouTube video would show-- unless you don't have surf friends to tell you what and how you should improve then you need those guys experience...

all in all, surfing is like playing an instrument-- either you get it and do it naturally or you'll look like someone is poiting a gun at you-- but, if you still enjoy it either way, who am I to say you shouldn't...

... but I digress

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Surfing's a skill not a talent(though obviously some people are more naturally suited to it than others), you can be taught it like anything else. There's nothing like quality coaching to help you improve quick, with the right teaching you could advance more over a couple of days than you would surfing every week with your mates for two months. You can get pointers from you-tube sure but it doesn't come close to having someone in the water watching you,who knows what they are doing and can tell you specifically what you are doing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

check this out and see if we can get it going think it would be great for beginners and improvers.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rate-your-Surf-School/222403351109304#!/pages/Rate-your-Surf-School/222403351109304?sk=wall

Dunno man, you're leaving your self open there, as a surf coach getting people to rate other surf coaches? Could turn nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ben bennett

just passing on the site, thouhgt it a good idea, whats wrong with people discussing standards, as there is no way for people to know when they are getting quality, value etc from lessons. think a lot of lessons are poor in ireland and anything to raise awareness and the standard, the better. to many people look at price and not what they get for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

How could standards be poor if all the schools meet ISA standards these days

• Advertisement

Not all schools are ISA approved unfortunately, and to be honest it is not enforced that strictly , for example, for last year's one off spot check which is meant to make sure you are running things in accorrdance with the ISA standard, the schools were informed two day before hand that the inspector was coming. I know of a number of "instructors" in certain schools, who happened not to be working on the day of inspection, while a number of qualified instructors were working that day and had never worked for those schools before.

i dont blame the ISA as they dont really have the funding, money, time and man power to really regulate the industry, thus i think people power and honest option of those who are using the different schools could be invaluable to those interested in getting quality surf coaching and advance their surfing.

the standards are really set by the instructors in surf schools and their attitude towards teaching, and the ethos of the school itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

So if I put something nasty about your surf school how are you going to feel, if you see a problem with a school, you can moan about it on the internet or pick up the phone and let the ISA know or tell the school to their faces and let them deal with it. What idiot set up the FB group

group seems to have a few schools mentioned so far and anyone on it seems to be giving constructive critisism, which i think migth have been the point. Is this not what happens on tripadvisor and other such sites. People have a right to an opinon.

Dont have a problem with anyone say something about my school, be it positive or negative as long as there is no other agenda there. Same reason why i dont us a alternative user name. As want to be clear and open about who i am and where my option is coming from.

Advertisement