Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum time a LL must give to tenants?

Options
  • 04-05-2011 10:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My brother's renting an apartment to two tenants. One has been there for 7 months, the other for 12 months plus.

I've recently lost my job and he has offered to let me live there rent free.

The tenants are reg'd with the PRTB. Was just wondering what's the minimum notice that can be given by law?
    They are very good tenants and he doesn't want to end on bad terms.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

It depends of what type of leases they have.
    Are they on a Fixed Term lease, a Periodic lease or a Part 4 lease
    Also, are they on the same lease or do they have separate leases?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

http://public.prtb.ie/Landlord_Tenant/English%20Landlord.pdf

Page 5/6

Prob best to talk to them first then make it formal, seeing as they're on good terms..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Doop wrote: »
    http://public.prtb.ie/Landlord_Tenant/English%20Landlord.pdf

Page 5/6

Prob best to talk to them first then make it formal, seeing as they're on good terms..!

fyi OP The info on page 5 of this doc on notice periods is only valid if your brothers tenants don't have fixed term leases, if they do then your brother can't break their lease to let you move in (unless there's a break clause in the lease), have a look at page 6 & the top of page 7 for information on breaking fixed term leases - needing to let a family member move in doesn't count as a break reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

fyi OP The info on page 5 of this doc on notice periods is only valid if your brothers tenants don't have fixed term leases, if they do then your brother can't break their lease to let you move in (unless there's a break clause in the lease), have a look at page 6 & the top of page 7 for information on breaking fixed term leases - needing to let a family member move in doesn't count as a break reason

That's why I asked in post #2 which type of lease they have and if they were on the same or separate leases.

Advertisement