Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Day at Dublin Zoo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Not going to look through each one in detail, if you want comments on particular ones - post them in the thread.

Just from a quick overview - they all just look like snaps, with little or no thought behind the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Sharpe88

I hardly expect people to look at all of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Hi Sharpe88, looks like you are new to boards - welcome! Generally people posting photos for comments & critique (C&C) will do two things:

1 - Post a limited number of photos , directly into the thread (1-5 shots is usual)

and

2- put "C&C" in the thread title.

I suggest you have a read of the charter & look at some similar threads, then pick what you think are the top few photos, & post those.

You can also post a photo or two in the 'random photos' thread - if people like them you will be thanked, that will give you a general idea of how other photographers rate them, but without any detailed analysis or advice.

Regards, FoxT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Sharpe88 wrote: »
    He are some photos I took while walking around the Zoo. I'd welcome any comments from anyone (good or bad).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sharpe88/
    Similar to challengemaster's comment, I think these would be generally considered snaps. I think the biggest problem is that you're not "filling the frame" and to do this you'd need a telephoto lens or a camera with good zoom. Get in close and show the detail. They would also benefit from some processing e.g cropping and increased saturation etc. As suggested, why not post your favourite shots here and get some specific advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Grand snapshots, that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

The zoo is difficult, when there are so many fences & you have limited reach with your camera. Try getting pictures of a family pet, or something. Try getting down to their level, for a more interesting angle.

Just a quick question with regards to City Exile's comment above; when you go into the zoo (Dublin zoo, I'm presuming these are) with your DSLR gear and such, are you able to start hanging out of fences and climbing on stuff and generally being a little Indiana Jones?

I just notice a lack of obstructions in people's photographs, so I'm wondering if they're climbing on fences and such (or perhaps just using shallow depth of field and pressing the lens against the rail/fence/etc.?

Haven't been to the zoo in about 15 years. I think I was 6 or 7 at the time, so I've no idea what it's like or it's attitude to photographers.

A lot of my shots are through fences, but the fence is very close to the lens, the animal is further away and the aperture is wide.
    At Fota Wildlife Park, there are much less fences & the Ring-tail Lemurs wander freely.

This is a shot where you can clearly see the fence.

7C289AE6273946BEAEA4CEC7FF051342-0000314356-0002217226-00800L-0E4B8BBC0ECC4BB1BE179AC5EE1240B1.jpg

By the way, having a camera is no excuse to climb any fence in the Zoo. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭emrys

they look ok - a good few could do with tighter crops

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Sharpe88

Thanks for the feed back, like I said I wasn't expecting people to look at all of them, and I am brand spanking new to photography. Here's a few I took of my bike this afternoon, dunno if they are any better or not. Feel free have a look, http://www.flickr.com/photos/sharpe88/sets/72157626536649753/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Had a look at the zoo snaps. As other's have said tighter crops would be better and as someone said to me years ago try to get to the animals level.
    Here are some of mine, some I'm pleased with, other's aren't so good:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnumlady/sets/72157625031681376/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

they are amazing!!! ;love the rhino ones.....and a random pic of Ray Darcy?? lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

PinkFly wrote: »
    they are amazing!!! ;love the rhino ones.....and a random pic of Ray Darcy?? lol

aww thank you :D Ray D'arcy just happened to be at the zoo ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Queen of Pots

I just had a quick look. There are some of them would be really nice if they were cropped in close - the elephant ones for example.

City-Exile, I love your photo of the wolf. Any time I've been there he's been hiding.

I was on the photo trip to Dublin Zoo with MagnumLady and others and I think the best shot I got was of Ray D'arcy. Just as well he turned up! ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/susancloonan/5026659295/

set-72157626666193916
    set-72157626666193916

... I think the best shot I got was of Ray D'arcy. Just as well he turned up! ;)

I think this is one of your best shots.

5026594261_f776d0836e_z.jpg

Advertisement