Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to clare

• 05-05-2011 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

hi folks, we shall be moving to co clare (probably west clare) in the summer. we are a very respectable easy going family and we like our our privacy and respect others. we are really looking forward to the move, and the place is absolutely beautiful.

wat i am here for is to ask is there any places we should avoid. we are moving to get away from dublin to give the kids a better life away from all the goings on in dublin. and maybe if you could be very helpful and give us tips on wat to do and wat to see

thanks in advance folks

darren

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

not really anywhere to avoid other than a couple of small parts of ennis. whereabouts in west clare were you thinking of?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There are a lot of considerations before moving anywhere.

West Clare doesn't have a hospital, so if anyone has a long term illness that maybe a consideration.
    Broadband isn't available in all areas.
    Are you looking for living in the country or in a town/village?
    What passtimes are you interested in?
    Is there any particular subjects you children do that may not be available in all schools?

Generally in Clare there are no "bad" places, of course with anywhere there are some concerns about some estates, but there isn't any general no-go areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭maryb26

Why dont you take a week here in summer or better still when the weather is really bad and see what it's really like! Dont forget you may be near a primary school but where is the nearest secondary school and even if there is a bus service it will have to be paid for and the route may require children to be up very early. Where is nearest bank/atm or pharmacy. There are lots of lovely small villages but you need to travel for things you now take for granted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 darrencurry

thanks people, we took all your info and considered it, but we really want to be rural as rural as possible, we tend to keep to ourselfs, now thats not to say we are ignorant we are actually very friendly. I love a spot of fishing with the kids in saying that i am a novice at the game. i love walking, hiking, swimming, hitting the coast, anything outdoors suits me wether it is rock climbing, surfing i'd put my hand to anything and i'd drag the kids along with me. wat sort of drive are we talking about back to dublin, i am currently waiting on a position to open up for a job but if it is to far i would have to turn it down, i wouldn't mind a 3ish hour drive each way as the job ends around 1ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

i drive to Dublin from Corofin regularly, and it takes me 2.5hrs as a rule, whether I go via Limerick or Loughrea.

Corofin/Kilnaboy is a good spot for rural living, and cracking for fishing too. Also the Burren is on your doorstep and the beach at Lahinch is only 15 or so minutes away. 15 minute drive to Ennis, so convenient for shopping etc too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement