Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google displaying old site links

Options
  • 05-05-2011 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭

I recently completed a new site for a client which is at the same domain name but on different hosting.

I have noticed that Google is still adding old links as site links when you search for the client. Anybody know how long it takes for Google to forget the old site?

The current site is verified with Google Webmaster and I have submitted a new site map.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

BrianD wrote: »
    I have noticed that Google is still adding old links as site links when you search for the client. Anybody know how long it takes for Google to forget the old site?
    Do you actually mean 'adding' (as in new links appearing) or 'showing' (as in the links, which no longer exist, are still appearing in the index)?

I assume it's the latter, but it's not entirely clear.

I'd suggest not leaving it to the search engine to 'forget'. Each of the old pages should be redirected to the relevant/closest matching new page. This not only helps ensure that the search engines quickly understand the change in structure, it means you also retain some of the link equity (and direct visits, be it via bookmarks or old links) that the old pages had generated (so better for search engines and users).

How long it will take for the search engines to fully understand the changes (even if you do incorporate the redirects) will be dependant on the site in question. In order to see the changes (be it a 301 or a 404), they need to recrawl the relevant page. How long this takes will depend on the site, so could vary between days and months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

What I mean by site links is the selection of links that appear under your listing is a Google organic search.

The older site has been nuked. The new site uses the same domain name (but different hosting) and has a different site structure.

Much of the traffic is direct but it is annoying to see the older sitelinks still attached to the domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

What I mean by site links is the selection of links that appear under your listing is a Google organic search.

The older site has been nuked. The new site uses the same domain name (but different hosting) and has a different site structure.

Much of the traffic is direct but it is annoying to see the older sitelinks still attached to the domain.

In google webmaster tools you can select/edit what links appear under the google search results for your site.

I've done that but ...

If you block 3 or more links it doesn't show any site links which is fine

If you've blocked site links is it actively generating new links in the back ground

and how long does it take for it decide that there are new site links available and start publishing them?

I've left one of the old site links unblocked in the hope that Google will start adding new ones over time.

Update! I've just noticed today that some of the "newer" sitelinks have started appearing. I'm unsure if this is by chance or as a result of 'blocking' the old links. Google say the process is automatic so it seems to take about a 3 weeks for new site links to come through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭PaulPinnacle

What I mean by site links...
    Apologies Brian. I read that as 'links to my site' rather than literal "sitelinks".

Glad to hear it's resolving and you've noticed the new sitelinks appearing.

I've seen cases where it updated in less than a week and others where it took a number of months. Appears to be site specific and hard to give a hard and fast rule of thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 study68

Thanks for sharing.

Advertisement