Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why was this AH thread locked?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Did you PM Hot Lips to ask?

Im not being a dick but you've been here long enough to know the process as the thread wasnt locked anonymously.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As it was HotLips and not me closing that thread I'll just speak in general terms:

Moderators always have the prerogative to close a thread and refer you to another forum if they deem it more suitable.
    After Hours isn't the catch-all forum many tend to think it is.
    There are many other forums on boards where your question will get a better answer.

If you think the mod may have misunderstood your intention with the OP, for instance it wasn't about cooking at all but bizarre food creations or something, then first port of call is always to PM to closing mod and give them 24-48 hours to get online again and answer you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Wasn't my thread.

To be fair its fairly obvious from the OP in that thread that was intended as a fun non serious AH thread and not some serious cooking thread where hot lips suggested he should post.

The point being made about other forums being more suitable is a bit ridiculous here imo in context with the thread, the fact that lots of political based threads are left in AH and rarely if ever moved to the politics forum renders means to this.

Anyhow, just think locking that thread was extremly harsh, might have been fun. A clear explanation as to why it was locked would have been helpful in the thread itself.

I'd prefer an explanation here than having to pm sharpshooter as I havent agreed on alot of her moderation in the past in AH.

Just to make the point about certain threads being posted in their proper forums instead of talking generally, here's 3 recent ones which were never closed/moved and should have been according to the logic here to the political forum

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71965637

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=71949365

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72042899

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Again I'll just speak in a general fashion.

It's at the mods' discretion. I know this sounds quite arbitrary and it is, but mods make judgement calls several times a day and have to consider legal issues, what's "AH material" and what will rock the boat too much.

There's also the problem with political threads, what is genuine political discussion and what is just giving out about a politician and won't fit well in Politics? Sometimes these are the same things.
    Many topics touch on several forums and the mod then decides what to do with it.
    Often threads that could go somewhere else are left and often they are moved or locked with a reference to start a fresh thread in another forum.
    I should note that mods from some other forums have asked us to lock rather than move as moving a thread with several AH style comments won't sit well in the new forum.

There are many many threads posted every day and we don't see them all, hence reporting the threads you feel should go in another forum is very helpful as it brings the thread to the mods' attention and a mod may, or may not, act on the report depending on whether they agree with the report.
    However, reporting is always appreciated even if no action is taken.

• Advertisement

Oh well, i guess the usual arguement is provide threads/proof

Now im being told in a general way

Which is always the arguement from mods when no proof is provided.

Didn't expect much more though :)

Thats how this forum is i guess

Have fun

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

nuxxx : Biko responded to you in a general way because he wasnt the mod that closed the thread. This was an act of courtesy on his behalf and I think your response is quite disingenuous.

Its only been 24 hours, give Hotlips a chance to respond.

LoLth wrote: »
    nuxxx : Biko responded to you in a general way because he wasnt the mod that closed the thread. This was an act of courtesy on his behalf and I think your response is quite disingenuous.

Its only been 24 hours, give Hotlips a chance to respond.

Yup thats fair enuff, sorry about that.

bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Why was this thread bumped?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

nuxxx wrote: »

It was locked and pointed to the correct forum nuxxx, as stated on closing.

As you point out there were many food threads already on the go.

I don't have much time to give to this thread other than to say, you as you pointed out were not the OP of the thread.

You didn't PM me to ask, you just decided out of the blue to look for similar threads left open and run to Feedback.

I haven't read all the links you posted, just the first four, and not a post by you in any of them, but the one I closed with an explanation given is the one you thought would be fun.
    Anyhow, just think locking that thread was extremly harsh, might have been fun. A clear explanation as to why it was locked would have been helpful in the thread itself.

My closing post in that thread was clear.
    Also while im here, why was this thread locked?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...php?p=71922518

The reason was given on closing, and sorted via PM amicably with the OP, who also wasn't you nuxxx.

I can see you have a problem with me, and tbh it shows but as a reason was given for the closure of those threads I don't see the necessity for this one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The Cooking Club is in no way the correct forum to redirect that kind of thread to. A quick read of the charter of that forum or a scan of its contents will show you it's a very specific forum which I'm sure would not appreciate the thread from AH. If you really feel you have to close innocuous threads you should at least have the courtesy to check where you're sending the OP.

The Cooking Club is in no way the correct forum to redirect that kind of thread to. A quick read of the charter of that forum or a scan of its contents will show you it's a very specific forum which I'm sure would not appreciate the thread from AH. If you really feel you have to close innocuous threads you should at least have the courtesy to check where you're sending the OP.

I should have mentioned that in my original post, at the time thats what annoyed me the most.

Sharpshooter just because I didn't create or post in any of those threads isn't a valid reason not to question the way you go about moderating AH.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056259950 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

nuxxx, what are you hoping to achieve with this thread?

Fair enough so, it's just as well I closed the thread instead of moving it to what I thought was the correct forum.

Thanks for that pickarooney.:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

So, if a thread is closed in After Hours, and there's no appropriate forum to move it to, does it still make a sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Let's try and get this thread closed. Or moved to the Thunderdome:pac:

Hi Dav, an appropriate answer/explanation why the thread was locked/moved. Thanks.

Hi Dav, an appropriate answer/explanation why the thread was locked/moved. Thanks.

You already got that nuxxx, and I have thanked pickarooney for pointing me in the right direction re closing threads and leaving a link.

You have already stated you have a problem with me and all I can find to back that up is I gave you a months ban from AHs for abusing another mod.

I'm finished with this thread now, but feel free to take it further if I haven't explained myself to your satisfaction.

You suggested the cooking club? :pac: Thread was perfect for After Hours.. A silly discussion on mixing food.
    Hot Lips, I never respected your modding ability in any way but at least it's genuinely funny sometimes.. Did you just see the topic was "food" and then insta-lock?! :confused:

• Advertisement

Hot Lips wrote: »
    You already got that nuxxx, and I have thanked pickarooney for pointing me in the right direction re closing threads and leaving a link.

You have already stated you have a problem with me and all I can find to back that up is I gave you a months ban from AHs for abusing another mod.

I'm finished with this thread now, but feel free to take it further if I haven't explained myself to your satisfaction.

I dont have a problem with you at all, just think you make some wrong decisions mod wise, hence the thread. AFAIK i never abused any "other" mod on AH. An apology or at least admitting you were wrong, would be a decent step to ending this thread to the OP of that thread.

Dav wrote: »
    nuxxx, what are you hoping to achieve with this thread?

Common sense

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

nuxxx, your original question was answered. maybe the suggested forum was not appropriate, Hot Lips has acknowledged that and will know for future threads.

You however are now just bumping your own thread for the sake of it, or when something new occurrs to you (you already answered Davs question 5 days ago and now you've posted another answer to it here.

thread closed as its run its course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement