Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recurring nightmares

Options
  • 05-05-2011 2:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

I've been having very regular recurring nightmares throughout the past month moving towards two months now, and just wondering if anyone's experienced this kind of thing before and what they did to sort it out.

The whole thing does always play out like a movie. I begin to see film cameras all pointing at me as I move from semi-conscious to unconscious, and then fast scenes of arguements and crying and violence with my family plays out in jerky zoom-in zoom-out movements. It's all very disturbing to be honest and I jump up heart thumping every time.

Unfortunately I don't have time for councellors or doctors or sleep therapists or such, and am to be leaving the country to Vietnam for a few months in 5 weeks, so basically I'm just asking if anyone knows of anything else that can be done. Herbal remedies perhaps? I'm totally prepared to drug myself up with a cocktail of them if it'll sort out this problem for now
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Squashie wrote: »
    I've been having very regular recurring nightmares throughout the past month moving towards two months now, and just wondering if anyone's experienced this kind of thing before and what they did to sort it out.

The whole thing does always play out like a movie. I begin to see film cameras all pointing at me as I move from semi-conscious to unconscious, and then fast scenes of arguements and crying and violence with my family plays out in jerky zoom-in zoom-out movements. It's all very disturbing to be honest and I jump up heart thumping every time.

Unfortunately I don't have time for councellors or doctors or sleep therapists or such, and am to be leaving the country to Vietnam for a few months in 5 weeks, so basically I'm just asking if anyone knows of anything else that can be done. Herbal remedies perhaps? I'm totally prepared to drug myself up with a cocktail of them if it'll sort out this problem for now

Perhaps even one consultation with a therapist could give some light into whats going on with you anyway, and then you could seek help in vietnam, though I dont know what the medical health sector requirements are like out there. So I couldnt comment on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Squashie

Thanks for your reply, but persuing medical or counselling treatment in Vietnam isn't an option. I'm not going to have the money or time or will-power to undertake all the associated complications involved with medical treatment in that part of the world. I'm hoping culture-shock will snap me out of it when I get there. My problem is really just dealing with it until then because it's causing me major problems at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭fghijkl

I had awful nightmares as a child and still tend to fall into bad dream cycles every now and again.

Dunno if it's a stupid suggestion or not but what i find works for me when i start having them is to fall asleep listening to my ipod on a really low volume, no idea why it works maybe my brain is too busy listening to the music or something...worth a try maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭unklefiction

Hi there OP, nightmares can be a real problem due to the lack of sleep they cause. You say that you are moving to Vietnam in a few weeks, have you started taking anti-malarial medicine yet? Have you received inoculations for other diseases?

If so this could be the cause of your night terrors, I would consider changing the malarial medicine depending on the length of your stay you may be able to use another with less side effects.

http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers/drugs.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Maybe you're stressed about your trip and about leaving your family?

You should talk to your GP, maybe it's a reaction to your vaccinations. You should definitely talk to your doctor about what anti malarials you'll be taking, if any, as from my experience of malarone it might exasperate this when you're away.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Squashie

I did have to receive like 7000 vaccinations alright, but that's been within the past week and this problem's been going on for nearly 2 months now as I said. As for anti-malarials, I haven't began taking them yet. I'm to begin taking them a few days prior to departure, and have been very careful not to allow the doctor to prescribe mefloquine or Larium because of all the recent publicity it's gotten over its psychosis-inducing effects.

The nightmares aren't being caused by anxiety or depression. Although I do have a tiny bit (or large bit) of history with all of that, I'm ok now. Not stressed about leaving family either, we're not close.

I really don't know what's causing it and why it's all began now... All I do know is I want to find some way to get rid of it! Does nobody have any suggestions other than seeking medical help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

A lot of times dreams are due to stresses in life and you said that the dreams only started 2 months ago. Maybe you can look at what has changed in your life during this time? Maybe you are nervous about your trip to Vietnam.

You could try dream journaling, since you already know the content of your dream you could try writing down your emotions when you wake up. Maybe that will help you work it out?

I used to have re-occurring nightmares and I started writing down my dreams every night to try and find the differences. It helped and the dreams usually ended up funny or thought provoking rather than scary. I still have nightmares but they are once a year sort of things rather than weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

fghijkl wrote: »
    I had awful nightmares as a child and still tend to fall into bad dream cycles every now and again.

Dunno if it's a stupid suggestion or not but what i find works for me when i start having them is to fall asleep listening to my ipod on a really low volume, no idea why it works maybe my brain is too busy listening to the music or something...worth a try maybe?

+1 on this. As a child, I used to get the same nightmare every night for a year, maybe more not too sure. My problem at the time was seperation anxiety from my mother (I think) as my parents were going through a divorce and I grew too attached to her. The nightmare was of us on a boat and for one reason or another her partner at the time (not my father) jumped off the boat into what looked like a rainforest and landed in quicksand and started sinking. She jumped in after him to save him and I had to watch her being dragged under in the quicksand.

Nightmares can be very distressing. Music really helped me. Make up a playlist of slow enough songs (fast ones might keep you awake) and play them quietly while you are going to sleep.

I don't get nightmares anymore, haven't in years, but after watching a scary movie or something and I can't get thoughts or fears out of my head, I would listen to music and fall asleep quite easily and have a a good nights sleep.

Advertisement