Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meteor get rid of some roaming charges

Options
  • 05-05-2011 8:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

Just heard it on radio.

++ edit by random. i've edited the thread title to be a little more accurate ++

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

You need to text 'Europe' to 50104 to sign up. Only available on Anytime Choice and Connect/Smart Bill plans.

The rates for payg are 29c per min (with a 9c set up fee) and free to receive. Texts are 12c.

Bill rates are 25c per minutes, free to received and 10c per text.

This applies to all EU countries.

http://www.meteor.ie/do_more/roaming/euro_rates/

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

Nice! About time.
    I guess data isn't included?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Well this is even a bigger step up from 3 where you can use your phone without roaming as long as your in a country with another 3 network, was great when I lived in Austria. Could even use my data and all inclusive minutes etc...

Now living in Germany and had to cancel my contract and switch to 3pay, but this new offer from Meteor really raises the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Nice, but 10.24 euro for 1MB in roaming is a robbery. If you have an android phone you have to switch off data or be ready to add 50 euro to your bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

....and any other smart phone for that matter....Android aren't the only phones that use data ffs :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Useless. Here in the UK I get cheap roaming on t-mobile anyway. Roaming internet still costs insane amounts as poster above as noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Misleading advertising.

Meteor have not scrapped roaming charges, they have reduced roaming charges.

They have removed roaming charges for incoming calls (good)
    They have set a rate for outgoing calls, but no free meteor to meteor, inclusive minutes etc, so it is not the same as at home.
    They still charge outrageously for data.

This is a good thing as far as it goes, but they will entrap the unwitting into huge data charges.

I hope they are not allowed advertise this a "no roaming charges" for it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

The small print from http://www.meteor.ie/do_more/roaming/euro_rates/
    ** promotion ends date of November 4th 2011.
    I would have changed over to Meteor otherwise. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

I don't consider this an "abolishing" of roaming fees. Yes calls and texts cost the same as at home, but these DO NOT come out of included minute/test/data bundles. I applaud Meteor for making a move in the right direction, it makes them more competitive with 3 and Vodafone, depending on travelling patterns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

carrotcake wrote: »
    The small print from http://www.meteor.ie/do_more/roaming/euro_rates/

I would have changed over to Meteor otherwise. :p

i wouldn't be overly worried about that. . .the free sms promotion meteor started way back when had an initial ending date of about 5 years ago. . .look what's happened to that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭kelzer

MiCr0 wrote: »

So does this mean you are charged 99c for 1 Mb no matter how little you use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Culanti

seems like another dodgy mobile offer...

"offer only applies to Pay As You Go Anytime Choice and current Bill Pay tariffs"...

except...

"Qualifying Plans shall be Anytime Choice on Prepay and all current Bill Pay tariff plans, excluding Bill Pay Lite (SIM Only) plans, Connect 60 & 65, Bill Pay Max and Bill Pay Smart Unlimited".

so if you spend a lot with Meteor on billpay you can't get the offer! Pretty miserable, i'd be pissed if i was paying €75 a month when a punter on a €25 a month plan gets the offer... weird move by them...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

MiCr0 wrote: »

Even a euro a meg is a rip-off....

• Registered Users Posts: 12 KH32

The EU regulated wholesale rate for data is 80c per MB so 99c per MB is pretty good value on that basis. If the wholesale rate comes down, hopefully operators can start offering better value data offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Don't see how anyone can claim this is better than 3 Like home. Clearly the latter does not apply when not in another 3 country but when you are -va-va-VOOM.

As an offer it's a step in the right direction but in no way can it be construed as "abolishing roaming rates". They should not be allowed to advertise it as such. SMS-MT is ALWAYS free and operators should not be allowed to pass this off as a facility. The good thing is that incoming calls will be free and I already see a use for this as I will divert my 3 to 085 from now on when in France.

Otherwise, it's hokum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

KH32 wrote: »
    The EU regulated wholesale rate for data is 80c per MB so 99c per MB is pretty good value on that basis. If the wholesale rate comes down, hopefully operators can start offering better value data offerings.

No it's not good value. The maximum rate is 80 cents. They can charge less than 80 cents or nothing at all if they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    No it's not good value. The maximum rate is 80 cents. They can charge less than 80 cents or nothing at all if they like.

Thats the price meteor are charged from the network you are roaming on, so the markup isnt massive. They're unlikely to price it so that they're losing money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

dave13 wrote: »
    Thats the price meteor are charged from the network you are roaming on, so the markup isnt massive. They're unlikely to price it so that they're losing money.

Not necessarily. Re-read my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Meteor are not part of any major international group, so do not have much control over what people charge them for data, within the EU max. The EU max is still far too max.

But Meteor are taking a hot on calls, one imagines, so could on data too, if they wished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Culanti wrote: »
    seems like another dodgy mobile offer...

"offer only applies to Pay As You Go Anytime Choice and current Bill Pay tariffs"...

except...

"Qualifying Plans shall be Anytime Choice on Prepay and all current Bill Pay tariff plans, excluding Bill Pay Lite (SIM Only) plans, Connect 60 & 65, Bill Pay Max and Bill Pay Smart Unlimited".

so if you spend a lot with Meteor on billpay you can't get the offer! Pretty miserable, i'd be pissed if i was paying €75 a month when a punter on a €25 a month plan gets the offer... weird move by them...

Theyve changed that now:
    Qualifying Plans shall be Anytime Choice on Prepay. All current Bill Pay tariff plans can avail of the offer. The Bill Pay Lite SIM Only plan will be charged a cheaper rate than their normal domestic out-of bundle rate (25c per min and 10c text rate). Any change of tariff to a non-qualifying plan, shall result in the loss of the Roaming Offer.

Advertisement