Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating storage space in an attic

• 05-05-2011 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭

I recently had an attic stairs installed and am planning to now
    use the attic space for storage.

There is a high level of insulation on the attic floor (to the point where the joists cannnot be seen below the insulation).
    This means that walking in the attic is dangerous as it's impossible to see where the joists are.

I was planning on laying an area of timber over the instulation, just nailing/ screwing sheets of plywood or something on to the joists:
    1 - so that I could walk in the area (and so could the wife)
    2 - for storage.

Two questions:
    1. Any difficulties in doing this, ie, will it promote rot or any issues like this?
    2. What type of timber/ wood should I use, I was going to pickup something cheap in B&Q, any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

It's good that your attic is double insulated, but you should not just compress the insulation under any new floor boards.

What you will need to do is remove the top layer of insulation and run new joists above the existing ones, perpendicular in direction, take care not to pinch any electric cables or piping.

Then re install the insulation between the new joists and fit your floor boards to these, again, perpendicular in direction to the new joists.

Chipboard or MDF will do, anything from 8mm thick will probably suffice, as long as you maintain standard widths between the joists.

* - Note, if you are removing the insulation, it may be worth checking that all your water pipes are insulated. If not, now would be an ideal time to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

You can use loft floorboards for the job, which are basically tongue and grooved chipboard, but its not necessarily cheap from the likes of woodies.

If you can get some T&G OSB from a timber providers that would be a better job.

Be aware that compacting insulation down has will reduce the efficiency of the insulation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Thanks for the responses.

The area that I want to put a floor on is probably less than 20% of the total attic space, and not being the handiest I really don't want to remove and re-lay the insulation, nor do I think I'd be comptetent to raise the joists.

What kind of % reduction in efficiency are we talking about?
    I was planning on just screwing down 5 or 6 sheets of plywood so that I could store a few boxes.

Should I even bother, will I reduce the efficiency of the insulation too much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

7x1 sawn to create a frame then 1/2 inch ply and plenty of screws, put the insulation in the frame so that the roof is still insulated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

You can buy insulated loft boards, not cheap but you may want to price them if it's only 6.

• Advertisement
Advertisement