Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pastrami in Cork

Options
  • 05-05-2011 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi All,

Anyone know where you can get pastrami or bresaola in Cork....I have tried the English Market but no luck (even though one store sells sandwiches with it she couldnt tell me where she got it:))

She suggested one of the Polish or Lithuanian shops but I guess they dont call it Pastrami?

Also what is Polish name they have for greek yoghurt or quark...

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭shnaek

You can get pastrami in M&S

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

I used to buy it in Lidl - but haven't seen it in a while now in my local but I wonder do other Lidl's stock it still?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Pastrami - Not knowing what it is I had to wiki it - and it definitely looks like a meat that Polish shops would have in their deli counters. Not sure what it's called there though, nor if it's exactly the same.

Greek Yoghurt? Well in Polish that'd be called 'Jogurt grecki' (Pronounced Yog-oorrt grets-key)

Quark - I didn't know this name for it, but I have the Polish version of this in my fridge (two cartons, both with a flavour pot in the style of the Muller Fruit Corner Yogurts)! 'Serek wiejskie' (Pronounced Ser-ek Vee-EH-ysk-eh) basically translates as 'Cottage Cheese', and they come both with or without flavourings. Whether you want to try saying 'wiejskie' or not is up to you, and my attempts at pronunciation guide may just confuse you more than help you. Anyway, generally the people in the Polish shops speak good enough English anyway, so if you have a note of the names you'll be fine.

According to the label's the ones I have are 'Serek wiejskie truskawka' and "Serek wiejskie brzoskwina - marakuja" (Serek wiejskie = Cottage Cheese, truskawka = Strawberry, brzoskwina = Peach, Marakuja = Passionfruit). Also, I note mine are out of date now. :( Does this matter much? Are they still safe to eat?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

AFC_1903 wrote: »
    Pastrami - Not knowing what it is I had to wiki it - and it definitely looks like a meat that Polish shops would have in their deli counters. Not sure what it's called there though, nor if it's exactly the same.

Greek Yoghurt? Well in Polish that'd be called 'Jogurt grecki' (Pronounced Yog-oorrt grets-key)

Quark - I didn't know this name for it, but I have the Polish version of this in my fridge (two cartons, both with a flavour pot in the style of the Muller Fruit Corner Yogurts)! 'Serek wiejskie' (Pronounced Ser-ek Vee-EH-ysk-eh) basically translates as 'Cottage Cheese', and they come both with or without flavourings. Whether you want to try saying 'wiejskie' or not is up to you, and my attempts at pronunciation guide may just confuse you more than help you. Anyway, generally the people in the Polish shops speak good enough English anyway, so if you have a note of the names you'll be fine.

According to the label's the ones I have are 'Serek wiejskie truskawka' and "Serek wiejskie brzoskwina - marakuja" (Serek wiejskie = Cottage Cheese, truskawka = Strawberry, brzoskwina = Peach, Marakuja = Passionfruit). Also, I note mine are out of date now. :( Does this matter much? Are they still safe to eat?

Thanks for this...I will brave it over weekend...and with regards to eating it...if they stink put them out...usually you get few days over

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

traditional cork corned beef would be similar to pastrami, same kind of spices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 BigDinny

Jack McCarthy in Kanturk does wonderful pastrami- got some in O'Driscolls in Ballinlough

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Batigol309 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Anyone know where you can get pastrami or bresaola in Cork....I have tried the English Market but no luck (even though one store sells sandwiches with it she couldnt tell me where she got it:))

She suggested one of the Polish or Lithuanian shops but I guess they dont call it Pastrami?

Also what is Polish name they have for greek yoghurt or quark...

Cheers

Are you sure you can't get in the English market. I've definitely bought bresaola in Iago's before. And The the Pigs Back should be a good bet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

You can get it in tescos. Its in the chilled meat cabinets next to sliced ham & corned beef products. I got some in my local tescos a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Ger89

I used to get bresaola in M & S, Patrick's Street, a few years' ago, but when I tried for it recently it had disappeared. Maybe it is back now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Aldi will have bresaola maybe i know the Italian shop out by the airport will have it for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Aldi will have bresaola maybe i know the Italian shop out by the airport will have it for sure

Yeah, definitely the Italian wholesalers at Forge Hill would supply these, and the quality would probably be better than the prepackaged ones you find in Aldi/Lidl/Tesco. It's difficult to reach with public transport though, so hope you drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

Thanks for all replies...

Checked M&S and they do have it just not in stock..ridiculous price though...5 quid for 125g

Whats the name of Italian wholesaler in forge Hill??

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

It's a little outside the city but you might find em in Napoli Italian Delicatessen in Monkstown.

Advertisement