Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recipe for Crusty Wholegrain/mulitseed bread

Options
  • 05-05-2011 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hey,

i love a nice crusty Wholegrain bread with seeds etc.

Was wondering if anyone has recipe I could try?

Odlums do a range of Quick Bake - just have to add water:

• Nine Grain Wholemeal: a delicious healthy bread, packed with all the benefits of whole grains
    • Five Grain: all the goodness of 5 whole grains
    • Hearty Cracked Wheat: the healthy option with a distinctive flavour
    are these any good?

And one more question...am I a freak because I scoop out middle of my bread rolls..just hate the doughy processed crap inside when you get them in supermarkets?? (rant over :))

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Hovis granary flour makes a lovely seeded loaf. I use it in my bread machine but there's a recipe on the side for oven baking. They also make a bread mix, I've seen it in my local supermarket and you just add water or milk, can't remember which.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭pink-mist

I don't know what the instant oddlums breads are like... But i have a really good recipe for brown bread if you'd like it?

Baked it a few times with the family always demanding more :P You can obviously throw in some sunflower/poppy/multigrain seeds and whatever else you fancy for a bit of crunch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Batigol309

pink-mist wrote: »
    I don't know what the instant oddlums breads are like... But i have a really good recipe for brown bread if you'd like it?

Baked it a few times with the family always demanding more :P You can obviously throw in some sunflower/poppy/multigrain seeds and whatever else you fancy for a bit of crunch :)

Do tell :))

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭pink-mist

Sorry this has taken so long, here you go:

350g wholegrain flour
    350g plain flour
    75g bran (i used branflakes that i smashed up)
    50g wheatgerm
    50g oatmeal
    50g brown sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp bicarb soda
    2 eggs
    1L Buttermilk

Preheat oven to 200 degC. Grease 2 loaf tins with oil.
    Mix flour,bran,wheatgerm,oats,sugar & salt. Sift in baking soda.
    Whisk eggs with buttermilk. Pour into dry ingredients. Mix in a circle.
    Dough should be soft & floppy. Divide into tins. Bake in middle of oven 1h.
    Remove from tins, put back in oven on a tray for another 10-15mins.
    Loaves should he hollow hwen tapped on bottom. Cool on wire racks. Cover with damp teatowl to keep moist.

ENJOY (esp with some rasberry jam!)

Advertisement