Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

some newbie questions

• 05-05-2011 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭

I just got my learners permit but still have lots of questions, any help would be much appreciated:

1. When changing down gears is it really necessary to give it some throttle when shifting down? What happens if you don't?
    2. For my helmet I was thinking of getting a tinted visor, will this affect my vision much? Like I know its not going to be as good as a clear visor but is there much difference? I won't be riding in the dark also I live in Australia and since its sunny here a lot I think a tinted visor will be fine?
    3. If I need to come to a stop when I am in 5th or 6th gear, do I still need to shift down 4 or 5 times to get to 1st gear again, or do I just need to shift down once?
    4. On the bike I did my learner permit test in, the brake pedal was above the footrest peg, is this normal for all bikes? I would prefer if the brake pedal was level or below the footrest peg so that I could always have my foot on the footrest without ever having to take it off if I need to use the back brake.
    5. Is it better to take off in second gear or do most bikers take off in first gear? I think I would prefer to take off in second so that I don't have to worry about changing gear for longer but not sure if this is best practice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

I just got my learners permit but still have lots of questions, any help would be much appreciated:

1. When changing down gears is it really necessary to give it some throttle when shifting down? What happens if you don't?
    2. For my helmet I was thinking of getting a tinted visor, will this affect my vision much? Like I know its not going to be as good as a clear visor but is there much difference? I won't be riding in the dark also I live in Australia and since its sunny here a lot I think a tinted visor will be fine?
    3. If I need to come to a stop when I am in 5th or 6th gear, do I still need to shift down 4 or 5 times to get to 1st gear again, or do I just need to shift down once?
    4. On the bike I did my learner permit test in, the brake pedal was above the footrest peg, is this normal for all bikes? I would prefer if the brake pedal was level or below the footrest peg so that I could always have my foot on the footrest without ever having to take it off if I need to use the back brake.
    5. Is it better to take off in second gear or do most bikers take off in first gear? I think I would prefer to take off in second so that I don't have to worry about changing gear for longer but not sure if this is best practice.
    1.Its not. You slow down using the engine as a brake
    2.There are varying tints in visors,so of course its gonna affect your vision the darker you go. Personally,i have a helmet with a clear visor and a drop down sun visor built in
    3.Coming to a gradual stop,ill always shift down through the gears.In an emergency stop,you wont have time though
    4.Im not 100%,but i think the brake pedal should be 1.7 inches under the foot peg.These adjustments can be tailor made to suit each individual rider though
    5.Gears are there to be used.If there wasnt a need for 1st,there wouldnt be one:D

These are all just personal opinions.Hope they're of some use to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

1.Its not. You slow down using the engine as a brake

Try doing it on a Vtwin, and hear your rear wheel lock up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

When changing down, people will tell you to 'blip' the throttle. I found this very difficult. What I do is to only partially release the throttle. I found this way to be most conducive to smooth riding. If you don't blip or keep the throttle a little open, you run the risk of jerky riding. I don't know if there are any mechanical consequences.
    ...For my helmet I was thinking of getting a tinted visor, will this affect my vision much? Like I know its not going to be as good as a clear visor but is there much difference? I won't be riding in the dark also I live in Australia and since its sunny here a lot I think a tinted visor will be fine?

They're actually very good during daylight. They're dangerous after dark. They're illegal here. Get a helmet with flip down internal visor.
    2130229220057585097S600x600Q85.jpg

The gearbox is sequential. You can't go from 5th to 2nd without going through 5th, 4th, 3rd and 2nd. Just remember to 'gear down' as you go. You shouldn't arrive at a stop in a high gear unless it was an emergency stop.

The reason is so you can tuck your foot under the brake pedal on the open road. You shouldn't drive around with your foot hovering over the pedal unless you're in traffic.

Probably depends on the bike. I always pull away in first. I'm sure few start in second.

It sounds to me like you have a mental block over the gears. You will get used to them in time as long as you practise practise practise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

It's not necessary, but it reduces the effect of engine braking. If you dont use the throttle when changing down (especially if you release the clutch quickly) the bike will act as though you have slammed on the brakes, this can be unnerving. Try it though, it wont do any harm, just be prepared for a sudden deceleration.

In bright sunny weather, it can actually improve your visibility. However, even in Australia, it wont always be bright and sunny. Even if you dont ever ride at night, or even dusk, there will be shaded areas on the road. If you get a tinted visor you'll have to be extra vigilant in these areas for obstacles and dangers. If you do fit the tinted visor, be sure to keep the clear one so you can change them out as needed.

Yes, if the bike is in 4th or 5th, you will have to go through all the gears down to first. You will get used to doing this as you come to a stop in no time

Do you mean directly above the footpeg? Or infront of the peg, but higher than it? Different bikes will vary slightly. Its important to sit on a bike before you commit to it. When sitting on it you should feel for the lean when holding the bars, the weight of the bike, the location/feel of the footpegs, brake, and gear shifter, and the height of the bike.

No I wouldnt recomend taking off in 2nd. There is no real advantage of it. And it is a bad idea to shy away from gear changes as it will develop bad habits. You'll be surprised, if you confront these challenges head-on you'll overcome them in no time. If you always take off in 1st, and change up to 2nd shortly afterwards, it will get easier and easier. This is where bad habits will start to form, so its important to try to do everything correclty, even if its not as easy right now. You'll be thankful you did when youre going for your full license.

Hope that helps ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Welcome to the fold OP.....hope this helps....

1. It's not strictly necessary - it depends on the road speed and engine speed when you do the downchange. It's more about matching the two so that the change is as smooth as possible. For instance, if you'd slowed to just above walking pace, coming to a junction, and you were going down to 1st, to stop, there'd be no point in it. Barreling into a corner at speed (e.g. racing), then going from 5th down to 2nd in the space of a few yards.......blipping will help. To an extent it's about mechanical sympathy.

2. If you have the helmet already, and in Oz, get a tinted visor - but not a black-out one. I use a tinted visor here all the time, but in evening's it's not great. Many helmets on the market now (Caberg, Schuberth amongst other's), have a 2nd, hidden tinted visor in the lining that can flicked down with a knob on the side. They're not expensive - about €100 here will get you one - it's a good compromise.

3. You should go down sequentially through each gear in the gearbox, it leaves you in better control, and is easier on the bike. With practice, you'll find it becomes second nature. You shouldn't be arriving at a stop in 5th or 6th - you should be changing down sooner, and arriving at the stop in 2nd.

4. You're right - with your foot in it's natural 'resting' position on the footpeg, the brake pedal should be just below it. The pedal is adjustable, so do play with it to get it comfortable. The same applies to the gearlever as well btw - adjust it to get a comfortable, neutral position for you. Everyone -and their feet ! - is different, that's why they make them adjustable !

BTW - same applies to clutch and brake lever's, and is a big help in traffic. You should adjust your levers, by rotating them AROUND the handlbars so that, in your normal position, the back of your hand is in line with your arm. (I'll try and get a pic.........hard to describe). I'd say 99% of 'bikes are NOT adjusted for this, and it makes riding so much more relaxing.

5. Depends on the bike. Kawasaki's, for instance, will only take off in 1st (deliberately engineered that way). Starting off in 2nd promotes clutch wear, and I see no merit in it.

I think from your comments that all you need is practice. Plenty of miles. Go out when it's quiet and practice starting off and pulling up. All day if you have to :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Cant imagine being in 6th,slowing with brake,shifting to 5th,easing out the clutch with no throttle and so on,locking the back wheel,no matter what you ride?? All depends on how you ride it I guess

Cant imagine being in 6th,slowing with brake,shifting to 5th,easing out the clutch with no throttle and so on,locking the back wheel,no matter what you ride?? All depends on how you ride it I guess

Are you riding an IL4 bike?

Are you riding an IL4 bike?
    Indeed

Indeed

Vtwins are a different ball game, a lot easier to lock up under engine braking, especially on wet or greasy roads.

Vtwins are a different ball game, a lot easier to lock up under engine braking, especially on wet or greasy roads.
    Not disputing the fact.All im saying is,I cant see it happening with a non aggressive riding style ie gently down thro gears.Different ball game if one was to drop from 6th to 2nd and not roll on the throttle. Ye'd get some fright then:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Irish Slaves for Europe

Thanks for all the responses folks, wasn't expecting this many responses so quickly :) I'll have a lot more confidence know I know those things mentioned. Its just a matter of practicing on quiet roads as much as I can now. Was thinking of getting a Kawasaki ninja 250 as my first bike so I will make sure I'm happy with the position of all the controls before I take it home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Thanks for all the responses folks, wasn't expecting this many responses so quickly :) I'll have a lot more confidence know I know those things mentioned. Its just a matter of practicing on quiet roads as much as I can now. Was thinking of getting a Kawasaki ninja 250 as my first bike so I will make sure I'm happy with the position of all the controls before I take it home.

I've got a ninja 250, and I would definitely recommend them. Theyre a great bike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

...I will make sure I'm happy with the position of all the controls before I take it home...

Don't go off half cocked over this. You'd be amazed what you'd get used to. Obviouisly, if soemthing is completely wrong, give it a miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

What? I've a v-twin and never suffered a lock up under engine braking - yet.

Is this a common thing - FWIW it's a Deauville 700? It could be considered a heavy bike, would the V-twin lockup be more prone in lighter bikers?

Thanks.

There not really a performance orientated engines in those things though, the SV will lock up no bother even in the dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

There not really a performance orientated engines in those things though, the SV will lock up no bother even in the dry.

Good to know :)

Why are the V-twin's more suspectible? It is to do with the typically larger cylinders compared to say a V4 of the same cc? (compression and all that)

Advertisement