Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Female front and back protection?

• 05-05-2011 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

In the process of buying my first bike (fingers crossed)
    Want to get body Armour, my friends have knox front and back protection but knox dont seem to have female versions.

I want good protection but havnt got hundreds to spend :/

Any advice, links, suggestions, experiences etc would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Can you not get a universal armoured vest to fit under a non-armoured jacket?

EDIT:

My mistake. Dangers of speed reading.

If you can't get separate armour like your mates, there are tons of ladies motorcycle jackets with integrated armour. As someone who only recently put his gear to the test, let me be the first to stress that scrimping on gear ain't a good idea.

Nowadays, you can get awesome jackets for a couple of hundred. I think you need to spend what is appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

cantdecide wrote: »
    Can you not get a universal armoured vest to fit under a non-armoured jacket?

EDIT:

My mistake. Dangers of speed reading.

If you can't get separate armour like your mates, there are tons of ladies motorcycle jackets with integrated armour. As someone who only recently put his gear to the test, let me be the first to stress that scrimping on gear ain't a good idea.

Nowadays, you can get awesome jackets for a couple of hundred. I think you need to spend what is appropriate.

:) my bf tested his recently too. hope you are ok!

i have gear, as in jacket, pants, boots, helmet. just want the extra amour for underneath.

like the dainese front..

2875942_001_F_S_4.png

but i dont know if i can wear dianese front and know back together :/

knox_aegis789_plate_back_protector.jpg

I'm grand thanks :)
    maameeo wrote: »
    ...i have gear, as in jacket, pants, just want the extra amour for underneath...

Is your current jacket not armoured? My gear has always had integrated armour. The concensus appears to be that an armoured vest covered by an unarmoured jacket gives better protection.

Are you saying you want to wear a vest under an armoured jacket?? I'm sure it would be very warm and cumbersome.
    ...but i dont know if i can wear dianese front and know back together...

I don't know that either. I always assumed you could.

I'm grand thanks :)

Is your current jacket not armoured? My gear has always had integrated armour. The concensus appears to be that an armoured vest covered by an unarmoured jacket gives better protection.

Are you saying you want to wear a vest under an armoured jacket?? I'm sure it would be very warm and cumbersome.

I don't know that either. I always assumed you could.

my currant jacket has some protection yea but not proper armour. definitely need back protection with it. yep id say either way ill be roasting when not moving! lol

the back of the dainese is like this, dont know if itll interfer with the knox back protection :/

glad your ok, hows your bike doing?
    dainese_armour_thorax-pro_detail1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

may I be the first to say... that breast plate is kinda hot.

• Advertisement

on another note - they may stock them in bikeworld, you could go there, try them on and then buy them online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

I have that knox back protector and then also got the added chest protector (I'm male) but I find it very cumbersome to ride with and it blocks some movement of my arms - find it much more comfortable with just the back protector on.
    The dainese protector you have there doesn't look like it would get in the way of the knox one really, you could wear the knox one after. The knox is very light and you wouldn't notice you're wearing it at all once you have it set up right.
    What bike you thinking of getting?

...glad your ok, hows your bike doing?

Thanks. You're nice. We'll keep you :D

To answer your question;
    crash.jpg

...and I was just getting attached to it :( Just had it re-sprayed too...

On the upside, I bought this;
    busa1.jpg
    ...the back of the dainese is like this, dont know if itll interfer with the knox back protection...

When you google back protectors it looks like the straps are across the hipular area and the front straps seem to be above the waist. Maybe they'd have to be a matched set? I'm not an expert, tbh.

jameshayes wrote: »
    may I be the first to say... that breast plate is kinda hot.

g'way, a top shaped like rock hard breasts? youre kidding me! :P
    on another note - they may stock them in bikeworld, you could go there, try them on and then buy them online?

good idea,
    must check that actually coz i dont think cotters do knox. Wishing i'd had a better look at the bike show :S
    Simona1986 wrote: »
    I have that knox back protector and then also got the added chest protector (I'm male) but I find it very cumbersome to ride with and it blocks some movement of my arms - find it much more comfortable with just the back protector on.
    The dainese protector you have there doesn't look like it would get in the way of the knox one really, you could wear the knox one after. The knox is very light and you wouldn't notice you're wearing it at all once you have it set up right.
    What bike you thinking of getting?

I've wore the back protector, my bf's one but its really big, feel so awkward with it on.

looking at a fazer 600 :)

Thanks. You're nice. We'll keep you :D

To answer your question;
    crash.jpg

...and I was just getting attached to it :( Just had it re-sprayed too...

On the upside, I bought this;
    busa1.jpg

When you google back protectors it looks like the straps are across the hipular area and the front straps seem to be above the waist. Maybe they'd have to be a matched set? I'm not an expert, tbh.

ooouch, weres the front of your bike gone?!! you had no injuries? mind me asking how it happened?

aww thanks for keeping me :)

and finally... noice! shiny new bike :) dont be dropping that one :P

• Advertisement

...ooouch, weres the front of your bike gone?!! you had no injuries? mind me asking how it happened?...

The lads'll be rolling their eyes over my continuous bellyaching but...

F5q794bw_lg.jpg

I was pootling along uphill. There was a tractor coming against me, downhill. The tractor hit a pothole and it's sprayer arm swung out and clothes-lined me. The sprayer was an older, bigger, more crude, box iron type and it hit me on the out-swing so it swatted me back the way I came. The sprayer was also higher up than the one shown. It missed the bike almost completely. Teh bike carried on, riderless, and hit a car coming in the opposite direction.

There were ambulances and squad cars etc. I was lucky I wasn't killed let alone escaping with minor injuries. It hit me across my right side so six weeks on, the last of my bruises and scab are just about gone. The gear save my life.

jebus! :eek:

i definitely wasnt expecting that answer!

have to say thats the most unusual of bike accidents ive heard to date!

Must have really taken you by surprise! glad you lived to tell the tale!

jebus! :eek:

i definitely wasnt expecting that answer!

have to say thats the most unusual of bike accidents ive heard to date!

Must have really taken you by surprise! glad you lived to tell the tale!

Me too. I had just about enough time to wince :rolleyes: Annyhoo... gear.... get good stuff!

Is your BF okay? Was it serious?

Is your BF okay? Was it serious?

could have been bad, but he had protection ;)

he broke a bone in his wrist, in a cast 7 weeks but think hes more pissed about the bike.
    front is pretty fucked. forks bent out of place. when wheel is in line the handle bars are turned fully, mad looking :(

poor thing. hopefully he'll be able to get it fixed :/

so yea hes ok, in that hes alive and not seriously injured :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

The lads'll be rolling their eyes over my continuous bellyaching but...

F5q794bw_lg.jpg

I was pootling along uphill. There was a tractor coming against me, downhill. The tractor hit a pothole and it's sprayer arm swung out and clothes-lined me. The sprayer was an older, bigger, more crude, box iron type and it hit me on the out-swing so it swatted me back the way I came. The sprayer was also higher up than the one shown. It missed the bike almost completely. Teh bike carried on, riderless, and hit a car coming in the opposite direction.

There were ambulances and squad cars etc. I was lucky I wasn't killed let alone escaping with minor injuries. It hit me across my right side so six weeks on, the last of my bruises and scab are just about gone. The gear save my life.

That's a mad story in fairness. What gear were you wearing and how did it hold up?

Sh*thouse :( They're all repairiable with enough doh re mi. Mine was going to cost €5,500 to fix. Were you on the back? What bike is it?

That's a mad story in fairness. What gear were you wearing and how did it hold up?

yea id like to know this too :)
    Sh*thouse :( They're all repairiable with enough doh re mi. Mine was going to cost €5,500 to fix. Were you on the back? What bike is it?

ouch, thats a bit too much. sad to see your bike go but better off with a new one at that price!

erm suzuki sv650 i thinks it is, hasnt got it long. No i wasnt on the back thank god! id probably be turned off getting my own if i was!

...What gear were you wearing and how did it hold up?...

I had a Richa Boa jacket (I beleive it's been discontinued a while it was New Old Stock). I had a Nitro helmet :rolleyes: I was waiting for a new visor for my Shark RSX. I was wearing runners and jeans :o That was the last time, of course. I'm going ATGATT from now on, obviously.

All the bits came off the helmet like the visor and vents etc but the shell held up well. The jacket had a huge rip across the shoulder and was a little road-rashed (same as myself) but was almost intact.

I had a Richa Boa jacket (I beleive it's been discontinued a while it was New Old Stock). I had a Nitro helmet :rolleyes: I was waiting for a new visor for my Shark RSX. I was wearing runners and jeans :o That was the last time, of course. I'm going ATGATT from now on, obviously.

All the bits came off the helmet like the visor and vents etc but the shell held up well. The jacket had a huge rip across the shoulder and was a little road-rashed (same as myself) but was almost intact.

:O bold, not even kevlar jeans? where you not cut to bits eek

ATGATT!

my bf's visor was bent at a 90 degree angle but didnt snap! mad stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

229687_223251897690133_100000159722825_1063611_5999921_a.jpgThis could be what you're looking for? And its got pink in it too:D Hi btw.

:O bold, not even kevlar jeans? where you not cut to bits eek ATGATT! my bf's visor was bent at a 90 degree angle but didnt snap! mad stuff!

Yikes :eek: Waiting on my first pair of Kevlar jeans aswell as a complete set of new gear. I hate wearing bulky gear so I'm spending enough to know I'll be as comfortable as possible. Definitely NOT doing jeans and runners again.

I only had a very bad 'burn' on my left knee, road rash on my side, a cut on my ankle, a cut on my wrist and a multi-coloured/ swollen/ weakened arm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

No offence meant by this but ****ing hell thats a hilarious one in a million accident. I was expecting the usual "he pulled out in front of me" garbage.

Is everybody claiming off the tractor or is the car claiming off you?

229687_223251897690133_100000159722825_1063611_5999921_a.jpgThis could be what you're looking for? And its got pink in it too:D Hi btw.

What make is that? id love that actually! my friends are saying knox and if i go with anything else dont come crying to them when im damaged :S

i has pink gear :o
    Yikes :eek: Waiting on my first pair of Kevlar jeans aswell as a complete set of new gear. I hate wearing bulky gear so I'm spending enough to know I'll be as comfortable as possible. Definitely NOT doing jeans and runners again.

I only had a very bad 'burn' on my left knee, road rash on my side, a cut on my ankle, a cut on my wrist and a multi-coloured/ swollen/ weakened arm.

wow if you had gear there wouldnt have been a scratch on you!

cotters had a kelvar jeans on sale awhile back. i couldnt figure out the sizes so i left them alone! lol

would you not get leathers?

terminator2_l3.jpg

:pac:

This isn't as sexy but it'd do the trick... http://www.btosports.com/p/ALPSBP

Dont get caught up on knox - there are several other manufacturers on par with knox including a-stars and fox...

This isn't as sexy but it'd do the trick... http://www.btosports.com/p/ALPSBP

Dont get caught up on knox - there are several other manufacturers on par with knox including a-stars and fox...

nice, looks fun to put on alright!

do they have some sort of safety rating do you know? is there a way of judging which gear is superior to another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

What make is that? id love that actually! my friends are saying knox and if i go with anything else dont come crying to them when im damaged :S

i has pink gear :o

wow if you had gear there wouldnt have been a scratch on you!

cotters had a kelvar jeans on sale awhile back. i couldnt figure out the sizes so i left them alone! lol

would you not get leathers?

terminator2_l3.jpg

Its an Icon Stryker Womens Field Armor vest

nice, looks fun to put on alright!

do they have some sort of safety rating do you know? is there a way of judging which gear is superior to another.

the only external requirement is that it is CE certified which means fúck all... best to go on recomendations... fox, a-stars, knox, daniese would be the manufacturers you hear most about

... ****ing hell thats a hilarious one in a million accident...Is everybody claiming off the tractor or is the car claiming off you?

Between the agony down my right side from near death experience and the ambulance arriving, I was thinking 'God, this is just hilarious' :p. Ya. I get what you meant though. It was a freak accident alright.

Everything is going back to the tractor directly or indirectly. FBD told me that, themselves. I got sorted already. I must say FBD were lightning fast, in fairness.
    ...would you not get leathers? :pac:

I'm 6'4" so I'm too long for them, really. The longest leather jackets ride very high on me so I go for touring type jackets, usually. Jeans/ kevlar jeans suit the touring stuff better, IMO. The shop owner says I'm going to look more like Darth Vader.

• Advertisement

I'm 6'4" so I'm too long for them, really. The longest leather jackets ride very high on me so I go for touring type jackets, usually. Jeans/ kevlar jeans suit the touring stuff better, IMO. The shop owner says I'm going to look more like Darth Vader.

tall dark and handsome you say...

black helmet with dark visor yea? luke i am your father

Advertisement