Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Female front and back protection?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Get a room:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

maameeo wrote: »
    nice, looks fun to put on alright!

do they have some sort of safety rating do you know? is there a way of judging which gear is superior to another.

Elbow, shoulder, hips and knee armour has only one official rating, it's either CE approved (CE 1621-1) or it's not. (And the standards not fantastic - it can allow 35kN of force through from a 50kn impact). Several brands do better than the 35kN.

Back armour (for motorcycles) at the moment has two different ratings, CE Level 1 or CE Level 2. Basically the Level 2 stuff absorbs more in an impact, and thus transfers less force to your back. The problem is that the rating doesn't really tell you much about how much force it does absorb. (for a 50kn impact, 18kN max allowed for level1 and 9kN max for level 2)

Currently SAS-Tec, the armour Rukka uses (which I think is a type of SAS-Tec), the NP protectors in BMW gear (the newer orange coloured ones) and Forcefield are the top brands on the market, they all exceed CE standards by quite a bit.

The Forcefield Sub 4 back protector only allows less than 4kN through from a 50kN impact, I don't think anything else on the market comes close to that. (Apparently 4kN is the medically recommended limit for impact to the spine)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

...tall dark and handsome you say...

Rich too, once that FBD cheque clears :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

Dunno if they have anything suitable, but

http://www.forcefieldperformance.com/armour/

are another very good name in back protectors etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

cantdecide wrote: »
    Everything is going back to the tractor directly or indirectly. FBD told me that, themselves. I got sorted already. I must say FBD were lightning fast, in fairness.

Jeebus ..........that story is mad, Ted !

Scares the crap out of me - I live in Tractor City !

Re the tractor guy: yeah, bad break. But I hope he in turn takes council to the cleaners for the pothole !! That's what we pay fuggin' tax for !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Elbow, shoulder, hips and knee armour has only one official rating, it's either CE approved (CE 1621-1) or it's not. (And the standards not fantastic - it can allow 35kN of force through from a 50kn impact). Several brands do better than the 35kN.

Back armour (for motorcycles) at the moment has two different ratings, CE Level 1 or CE Level 2. Basically the Level 2 stuff absorbs more in an impact, and thus transfers less force to your back. The problem is that the rating doesn't really tell you much about how much force it does absorb. (for a 50kn impact, 18kN max allowed for level1 and 9kN max for level 2)

Currently SAS-Tec, the armour Rukka uses (which I think is a type of SAS-Tec), the NP protectors in BMW gear (the newer orange coloured ones) and Forcefield are the top brands on the market, they all exceed CE standards by quite a bit.

The Forcefield Sub 4 back protector only allows less than 4kN through from a 50kN impact, I don't think anything else on the market comes close to that. (Apparently 4kN is the medically recommended limit for impact to the spine)

jesus, thanks for all the info man, you really went into detail, appreciate it!
    looking into them now.
    cheers!

talk, dark, handsome and rich you say...

...tall, dark, handsome and rich you say...

Indeed :cool:
    galwaytt wrote: »
    ...I hope he in turn takes council to the cleaners for the pothole !! That's what we pay fuggin' tax for !...

Nowt, seemingly. I hope he takes some action but I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Pity about the Cork accent though.

Pity about the Cork accent though.

You can buy a lot of elocution lessons when you're this rich ....like :D

one of my favourite irish accents, donegal comes first then corkonian ;)

• Advertisement

one of my favourite irish accents, donegal comes first then corkonian ;)

Oh stop. You're getting butter everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭gipi

Howdy maameeo!

Is there any reason why you want chest protection as well as back protection? I just use a knox back protector (female biker too).

I thought that only Motocross riders and the like wore full (front and back) body armour, do many regular bikers use it?

Best of luck whatever you decide!

PS - @cantdecide - that was one heck of an accident! Glad you're okay and nice to see the new wheels!

gipi wrote: »
    Howdy maameeo!

Is there any reason why you want chest protection as well as back protection? I just use a knox back protector (female biker too).

I thought that only Motocross riders and the like wore full (front and back) body armour, do many regular bikers use it?

Best of luck whatever you decide!

PS - @cantdecide - that was one heck of an accident! Glad you're okay and nice to see the new wheels!

heya gipi!

tbh i dont know if its the done thing with most bikers, i just know my bf and 3 friends have them. think id feel a bit safer with it.

what size knox back protector did you get?? ive been wearing my bf's size 8 but it feels too big and awkward. i printed out the size chart but by that id need the largest! think i printed it wrong lol!

what bike have you got? :D love to hear from other female bikers, gives me confidence that i can do it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

dont cash it straight away - FBD may be settling the claim super fast before you realise you are entitled to more than just the repairs.

I had the same thing happen...insurance company paid out before I knew what was going on (I'm a cager) ... GF is a biker and she has had 2 different drivers/cagers pull U-Turns in front of her without checking their mirrors...feckin idiots !! ...hospitalised with 9 slipped discs.

anyway - BF should be compensated for injury to his arm (they usually dont heal properly - depends on the break and setting to be honest) ...both of you should be compensated for the accident/stress/lack of bike/hire of replacement/medical expenses/replacement of torn clothes etc etc
    EDIT
    Ps. I should add that I work in the Courts and see Civil actions for injuries like this a lot of the time....usually when one denies responsibility or the insurance payout is below what is expected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭gipi

maameeo,

I use the 6-plate back protector (I'm a bit of a shortie, 5'2"!). It's best to go into a shop and be fitted for one which suits your size - if you wear one that's wrong it may not do its job if ever needed. I like the look of the Knox Aegis, which is a "gilet-style" back protector.

I came back to biking a few years ago and started on a Marauder 250cc (great learner bike, but a tad slow!) - I've now got a Virago 535cc which is enough for me!

Best of luck with the biking!

Advertisement