Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggestions on a 2 or 3 day solo spin around Ireland

• 05-05-2011 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

I don't own a bike but am thinking of hiring one some time in the future, just to get away from it all. I'm considering a 2 or 3 day trip around a part of the country (ex Dublin) and was wondering if anyone has suggestions on routes/itinerary.

A fellow biker friend said the roads in the North are better, so I've been looking at maps of the coast roads of Co Down and Antrim, possibly stay in Portrush on Night 1 (hoping to camp too), squeeze in some surfing the next day, on to maybe south Donegal for night 2, then back to Dublin.

Does that sound like too much? Any other suggestions most welcomed.

p.s. I'll call myself a 'newbie' even though I've had a motorcycle licence for years, grew up on my farm in Oz on one, but have never owned a bike, thus my experience levels are moderately low. I ride my old man's bike a lot whenever I go home (Yamaha Tenere) however any tips on medium-distance riding (inc. safety considerations) also welcomed, and what I should take with me etc. (apart from swimwear for the beach!)

Cheers lads.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

If you get to donegal, one of the main roads near the coast the N56 has some lovely twistys, was there 2 weeks ago in the cage and every second of it wished i had a bike to do it on! and if you get time check out Slieve league http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slieve_League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

wile1000 wrote: »
    I don't own a bike but am thinking of hiring one some time in the future, just to get away from it all. I'm considering a 2 or 3 day trip around a part of the country (ex Dublin) and was wondering if anyone has suggestions on routes/itinerary.

A fellow biker friend said the roads in the North are better, so I've been looking at maps of the coast roads of Co Down and Antrim, possibly stay in Portrush on Night 1 (hoping to camp too), squeeze in some surfing the next day, on to maybe south Donegal for night 2, then back to Dublin.

Does that sound like too much? Any other suggestions most welcomed.

p.s. I'll call myself a 'newbie' even though I've had a motorcycle licence for years, grew up on my farm in Oz on one, but have never owned a bike, thus my experience levels are moderately low. I ride my old man's bike a lot whenever I go home (Yamaha Tenere) however any tips on medium-distance riding (inc. safety considerations) also welcomed, and what I should take with me etc. (apart from swimwear for the beach!)

Cheers lads.

How long have you lived here and is it an Aussie or Irish licence you have? There could be issues hiring on an Aussie licence if you're resident here for over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭wile1000

Del2005 wrote: »
    How long have you lived here and is it an Aussie or Irish licence you have? There could be issues hiring on an Aussie licence if you're resident here for over a year.

I've been here 6 years, and after the first year I converted my Oz licence to an Irish one, so no problems there.

Advertisement