Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meteor abolishes some roaming charges across the EU.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭brk3

Dont know about you guys, but I think it's pretty poor if it doesn't come out of your plan. Why do they do this, you could already be paying them up to €50 a month which is dead money if you're roaming :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I will be bringing a Meteor sim on holidays with me this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

brk3 wrote: »
    Dont know about you guys, but I think it's pretty poor if it doesn't come out of your plan. Why do they do this, you could already be paying them up to €50 a month which is dead money if you're roaming :confused:

Because when you're abroad you're not even using their network. I presume they break even now by charging you the standard rate. If it came out of your free allowance they would actually have to pay the foreign network for your calls.

It's a good deal, I'm going to go back on a meteor plan when the Galaxy S II becomes available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

I don't understand all this noise. I am an O2 billpay customer and spend a lot of time in France. My latest bill shows use for March, while I was there. The prices for texts received & sent and for calls received and sent are lower than the new Meteor prices. A long time ago I got a text saying that following EU rules the prices for calls and texts while roaming would be reduced.

Meteor says "Meteor are the first operator in Ireland to abolish roaming charges in Europe" crap, as far as I am concerned, I don't recall ever paying a specific fixed price to receive a call.

BTW, I complained to O2 about data roaming charges and they changed my plan.....They still aren't cheap and I agree that roaming pricing generally is a racket.

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

I'm going to Germany this week and it would be handy to have access to internet on my phone although 99c per meg is still a little pricey for me.

Would anyone know of any German network that I could pickup a prepaid sim card without having to fill in a load of documentation etc..

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

BarryM wrote: »
    I don't understand all this noise. I am an O2 billpay customer and spend a lot of time in France. My latest bill shows use for March, while I was there. The prices for texts received & sent and for calls received and sent are lower than the new Meteor prices. A long time ago I got a text saying that following EU rules the prices for calls and texts while roaming would be reduced.

Meteor says "Meteor are the first operator in Ireland to abolish roaming charges in Europe" crap, as far as I am concerned, I don't recall ever paying a specific fixed price to receive a call.

BTW, I complained to O2 about data roaming charges and they changed my plan.....They still aren't cheap and I agree that roaming pricing generally is a racket.

B

You must be the only person in Ireland that does not know the proper roaming rates. So i'll be nice and fill you in and get you up to date because you seriously need it. The following rates are for all networks in Ireland.

Its 18c a minute to receive a call in europe. It used to be much more before the EU stepped in.

The rate per minute to call someone while in the EU is 47c per minute.

So Meteor's new offer is excellent. Your comment now looks rediculous. So to say you have never paid for roaming in the EU before was downright silly. Maybe get the correct information in future before saying a new offer is ''crap'' when it most certainly is NOT.

Meteor are the first operator to abolish roaming charges, they would not advertise that if they weren't as it could lead to legal repercussions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Tiesto wrote: »
    I'm going to Germany this week and it would be handy to have access to internet on my phone although 99c per meg is still a little pricey for me.

Would anyone know of any German network that I could pickup a prepaid sim card without having to fill in a load of documentation etc..

cheers
    Nip in to one of the MediaMarkt stores and get a SIM - can't recall the exact brand but I got one for €5 or less that had €10 of credit (I think). They have basically free phone + SIM deals too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Nip in to one of the MediaMarkt stores and get a SIM - can't recall the exact brand but I got one for €5 or less that had €10 of credit (I think). They have basically free phone + SIM deals too.

Thanks, ill do just that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Thanks, ill do just that

Cheapest would be to get an O2 Sim and sign up to someone like klarmobil, their showing up as the cheapest at the moment on prepay or freenetmobile.

Comparison

http://www.klarmobil.de/service/preislisten/index.html
    http://www.freenetmobile.de/wettbewerbsvergleich/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

I spent 13 minutes on the phone to Meteor customer care yesterday. Most of that time I was on hold. I was asking them to unlock my phone as I am in Belgium and I wanted to get a sim here to use as it would be cheaper, I explained all this to her. The customer care girl couldn't find the unlock code and was apparently ringing around trying to get it for me. She knew I was abroad already as I mentioned being on hold for so long was costing me a fortune. In the end she came back and said they'd have to contact the mobile phone company to get it and for me to call back in about a week to get the unlock code. At no point did the silly t!t think to tell me about this new offer. Raging now cos that call cost me a fortune. Like how thick are these people. Hardly required lateral thinking to give me a better solution!

Anyway earlier someone asked if you can txt that opt in no from abroad and I just txted it from Belgium and it worked. I received a txt confirmation that I would now benefit from this new offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭thegift06

right quick question my bill is 30 euro a month which includes 200 mins 200 txts and 1gb download allowance. Now if im going abroad will a txt cost me an extra 10cent ontop of my 30 euro bill or will it count as a txt from my plan and my txt balance be reduced to 199.

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Does this mean, with my free calls and texts to meteor customers, I can call and text to my friend in the EU for free if they have a meteor phone? since I have free calls and texts?

If thats true it would be amazing! Can anyone clear this up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

thegift06 wrote: »
    right quick question my bill is 30 euro a month which includes 200 mins 200 txts and 1gb download allowance. Now if im going abroad will a txt cost me an extra 10cent ontop of my 30 euro bill or will it count as a txt from my plan and my txt balance be reduced to 199.
    No. Your inclusive minutes and texts do not apply while outside the Republic.
    You will be charged for each call you make and text you send on top of your monthly commitment.
    double GG wrote:
    Does this mean, with my free calls and texts to meteor customers, I can call and text to my friend in the EU for free if they have a meteor phone? since I have free calls and texts?

If thats true it would be amazing! Can anyone clear this up?
    As above, no, inclusive calls and texts (including free meteor talk and text, free any network texts) do not apply outside the Republic. You will be charged for every call and text made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Kensington wrote: »

As above, no, inclusive calls and texts (including free meteor talk and text, free any network texts) do not apply outside the Republic. You will be charged for every call and text made.

Even if I'm in Ireland calling to them in a different country?

double GG wrote: »
    Even if I'm in Ireland calling to them in a different country?
    No, if you're in Ireland then you pay the usual rate which in your case, would be free. This was always the way it worked.

Up to now, it was the person roaming had to pay to your receive your call to cover the cost of the fact they were roaming. This has changed - they will now be able to receive your call for free anywhere in the EU, once they've opted in and you'll be able to call them for free, as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

cheers

2.99 for 50MB with Vodafone

shocksy wrote: »
    You must be the only person in Ireland that does not know the proper roaming rates. So i'll be nice and fill you in and get you up to date because you seriously need it. The following rates are for all networks in Ireland.

Its 18c a minute to receive a call in europe. It used to be much more before the EU stepped in.

Thanks for the gratuitous insults, here is the data from my last invoice dated 12 April 2011 from O2 -

Calls received while roaming

Date Time Country Duration Type Total

05/03 19.03 France 00.00.17 EU €0.04
    05/03 19.04 France 00.07.01 EU €1.05
    ...... etc
    31/03 15.04 NL 00.01.44 EU €0.26
    The rate per minute to call someone while in the EU is 47c per minute.

Is that an indivisible sum..... i.e. if it is less than 1 min, what happens?

I seem to be getting a pro rata rate.....none of my invoiced outgoings are divisible by 47.....

Of course the VAT is added, but there aren't, afaics, any fixed amounts in the details on my invoice.

Oh and by the way, incoming and outgoing txts are €0.11

Your apologies are accepted.....

Thanks for the gratuitous insults, here is the data from my last invoice dated 12 April 2011 from O2 -

Calls received while roaming

Date Time Country Duration Type Total

05/03 19.03 France 00.00.17 EU €0.04
    05/03 19.04 France 00.07.01 EU €1.05
    ...... etc
    31/03 15.04 NL 00.01.44 EU €0.26

Is that an indivisible sum..... i.e. if it is less than 1 min, what happens?

I seem to be getting a pro rata rate.....none of my invoiced incomings are divisible by 47.....

Of course the VAT is added, but there aren't, afaics, any fixed amounts in the details on my invoice.

Oh and by the way, incoming and outgoing txts are €0.11

Your apologies are accepted.....

Incoming texts cost nothing.

Of course you're getting a pro-rata rate. And the .47 is outgoing roaming calls, what you've pasted is clearly incoming roaming calls (around .18 a minute depending on the foreign operator)

Meteor incoming roaming is free.

You don't really understand what you're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Mary28 wrote: »
    I spent 13 minutes on the phone to Meteor customer care yesterday. Most of that time I was on hold. I was asking them to unlock my phone as I am in Belgium and I wanted to get a sim here to use as it would be cheaper, I explained all this to her. The customer care girl couldn't find the unlock code and was apparently ringing around trying to get it for me. She knew I was abroad already as I mentioned being on hold for so long was costing me a fortune. In the end she came back and said they'd have to contact the mobile phone company to get it and for me to call back in about a week to get the unlock code. At no point did the silly t!t think to tell me about this new offer. Raging now cos that call cost me a fortune. Like how thick are these people. Hardly required lateral thinking to give me a better solution!

Anyway earlier someone asked if you can txt that opt in no from abroad and I just txted it from Belgium and it worked. I received a txt confirmation that I would now benefit from this new offer.

Mary,
    if you are staying a while in Belgium , there is a sim card called Ortel. you can ring Irish (or European) landlines(not mobiles) for either 12 cent or 9 cent per minute. very handy for long chats. though you need an unlocked phone.
    by the way all handsets on sale in Belgium are unlocked. its the law.

re your long call to meteor , try ringing customer care when you return. they may give you credit.

regards , rugbyman

nm wrote: »
    Incoming texts cost nothing.

Of course you're getting a pro-rata rate. And the .47 is outgoing roaming calls, what you've pasted is clearly incoming roaming calls (around .18 a minute depending on the foreign operator)

Meteor incoming roaming is free.

You don't really understand what you're talking about.

If you'd bothered to read my post properly you'd see that I separated the incoming and outgoing.

WTF, if I was a Meteor customer I wouldn't have (in the future) any section on my invoice for incoming calls while I'm abroad?? I'll believe it when I see it.... and anyway the others will respond if it happens....

My understanding of what Meteor is doing is removing a fixed charge per call and replacing it with what the others do......

As I said already roaming is a racket..... and makes money for the operators, everyone. Do you really think that the operators who carry Meteor calls abroad are waiving their charges?

BTW, I see that I could pay €25 a month (for a year) if I bothered to move, I only pay €15 with O2...., no limits. So, the reaction of the others has already started.

B

• Advertisement

My understanding of what Meteor is doing is removing a fixed charge per call and replacing it with what the others do......

You don't understand then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Sorry, I'll be slightly off topic but you have better knowledge about Meteor than me. What happened is I sent a top up from my online banking to a bill pay number instead of a pay as you go. What do you think how can I get my money back as I presume there's no use of a top up for bill pay number. Thank you!

padyjoe wrote: »
    Sorry, I'll be slightly off topic but you have better knowledge about Meteor than me. What happened is I sent a top up from my online banking to a bill pay number instead of a pay as you go. What do you think how can I get my money back as I presume there's no use of a top up for bill pay number. Thank you!
    You'll need to contact Meteor.

You don't understand then.

How terribly clever of you - answer my questions..... who will reimburse the local carriers for roaming costs?? Meteor? and then how will they get paid.....or are they a charity??

Are you seriously suggesting that Meteor's carrier partners have waived their costs?

If anything they might have reduced their fees as a come on and the 'new' Meteor roaming charges are intended to cover the overall costs, so they can say 'no fees for receiving' but their fees for sending cover it..... It is also possible, but not probable, that they are trying a bit of a loss leader, but if too many sign up they'll be sorry.....

If anything is clear in mobile phone tariffs it is that there is no such thing as a free lunch.

You're right BarryM - meteor are lying. They are still charging full price for incoming roaming calls. Tinfoil hat time :rolleyes:

I would wager that the cost of outgoing roaming calls on meteor will cover or breakeven their costs for the roaming agreement with the local carrier.
    Most local carriers won't charge for incoming anyway, much the same as you won't be charged if someone from Japan calls you in Dublin. But who knows really, or cares?

You're also looking at 25c outgoing on meteor to 47 outgoing on o2. But sure why am I bothering, you "won't believe it til you see it".

I won't respond further to you in this thread.

I won't respond further to you in this thread.

Whew, what a relief.

It is also possible, but not probable, that they are trying a bit of a loss leader, but if too many sign up they'll be sorry.....

that's exactly what they are doing. They are only running the promotion for six months or so, they can just end it if it's losing them money.

They may not be losing money at all, they could have an agreement in place with other European operators wishing to use Meteor's network for roaming.

Kensington wrote: »
    that's exactly what they are doing. They are only running the promotion for six months or so, they can just end it if it's losing them money.

Yep, but will those who've signed up be able to continue on the new deal?? Not a great pr thing if they unload it and re-introduce charges?
    They may not be losing money at all, they could have an agreement in place with other European operators wishing to use Meteor's network for roaming.

Maybe, roaming rates don't reflect real costs, even since the EU imposed their rules. However, there hasn't been much movement in the general area of roaming, so it is hardly likely that Meteor got a special deal.

The competition in most EU countries has been on the triple plays and the like, adding 'free' calls to mobiles for example. My French supplier is offering 8mb broadband, calls to 100 countries, no charge to french mobiles and IPTV for €32 a month, no minimum contract, no line rental.

We'll wait and see (except for nm of course;))

B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

thomasjad wrote: »
    Would this count as a change of contract for bill pay customers and allow them to opt out without penalty?

YES

Yep, but will those who've signed up be able to continue on the new deal?? Not a great pr thing if they unload it and re-introduce charges?
    Well under the current promotion, they could do exactly that come Nov 4th. Signing up only signs you up to the temporary promotion.
    BarryM wrote:
    Maybe, roaming rates don't reflect real costs, even since the EU imposed their rules. However, there hasn't been much movement in the general area of roaming, so it is hardly likely that Meteor got a special deal.
    It is possible. Vodafone do 50MB/€2.99 per day data roaming but the wholesale data rate is over 50c/MB ex. VAT (don't have exact amount to hand).

• Advertisement

thomasjad wrote:
    Would this count as a change of contract for bill pay customers and allow them to opt out without penalty?
    jimmynokia wrote:
    YES
    Rubbish.
    You need to manually opt-in as someone already pointed out. In order to opt-in, you must first accept any new T&Cs that apply.

If you don't opt-in, nothing changes. You still pay the old roaming rates and your contract remains unchanged.

So if your not opted in as you say and you get charged when away
    its not true that the roaming is abolished so.

Confusion on confusion. Does anyone actually KNOW what the deal is? You have to txt to a number to 'register' what happens when you do? Do you get a reply with new Ts&Cs? Anybody abroad at present who has tried the suggestion on this thread that the text no works in Belgium?

If you sign up to Meteor now do you get the deal?

Could it just be a puff piece by Meteor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Bens

Im lost now. As usual with mobile charges

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Confusion on confusion. Does anyone actually KNOW what the deal is? You have to txt to a number to 'register' what happens when you do? Do you get a reply with new Ts&Cs? Anybody abroad at present who has tried the suggestion on this thread that the text no works in Belgium?

If you sign up to Meteor now do you get the deal?

Could it just be a puff piece by Meteor?

Not sure why there is such confusion. You need to opt in by texting the number given, you get a response saying successful/not successful. I was not successful but I suspect thats because Meteor fúcked up my billing again. :mad: Once successful, whilst abroad in Europe, there will now be no charge to receive a call, 25c to make a call to an Irish number, 10c to text and Irish number. The opt in text works from abroad. Promotion ends 4/11. Must be on PAYG Anytime Choice or current Bill Pay plan.

Its fairly simple really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

Got a text from meteor there stating that roaming rates for using the internet has dropped from 10.24 per MB to 99c per MB. Sound:cool:

I'm a Bill pay customer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Got a text from meteor there stating that roaming rates for using the internet has dropped from 10.24 per MB to 99c per MB. Sound:cool:

I'm a Bill pay customer

Yeah got the same text.im on bill pay smart lite.

wouldn't let me opt into the new roaming charges when I sent the text.

dont think it starts til the 18th of may

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

This won't effect any contract on Bill Pay as you have to opt in. And the basic gist of the promotion is that you can go roaming in Europe at the standard rates of the Meteor network.. not the network your going to so you won't have to pay any excessive charges.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I've tried to read all this thread but may have missed something.

Will this affect my €20 free texts to all networks when I'm back in Ireland? Do I have to keep changing my deal when I come home and then again text EUROPE when I go abroad?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I was wondering about that too.

When I log into my Meteor account it says the following
    "My Offer

Your current plan is: Pre-Pay Anytime Choice
    Your current free offer is: PAYG EEA Roaming Offer 2011"

Does that mean I keep my original plan + the reduced roaming? :confused:

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭djh

I was told that it would not affect my pre-pay Any Network Texts (when top up by 20eur) by the Meteor Rep on Twitter.

Worked fine for me while I was in the Canaries. Still getting free texts in accordance with my offer.

Advertisement