Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Punching Bag - what filling?

• 05-05-2011 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

HI,

one of my students just bought a punching bag and asked me what filling he has to put in - he was considering rice or soya bean

Anyone can advise on that ?

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

mm custard, om nom nom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chuckjitsu

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭stedeb

hi
    i used to work years ago in a sports manufacturer in dublin.
    i had a well known boxer with his own shop come in all the time and get free scraps or ends of fabric to fill his bags
    maybe ring around to these places or alteration places and get it free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Rags will do the job. If you pay to have a bag made of heavy duty canvas (custom-made, it should only cost 50 euro) you can fill it with rags (old clothes etc.). I did it with my own bag, and it's brilliant. 'Tis a cheap option, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭HammerHeadGym

Small strips of cloth work well, if you want to make it heavier (and tougher) use scraps of leather. A mix is probably best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

Rags and sand, 50-50 mix. Firm and heavy with some give.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Malolan

How big is the bag? I used to have one 2m long and 45cm in diameter. I filled it with pieces of rags and it was about 50-60kg heavy, so no swinging during workout. If it is big you can put rags and to make it heavy you can put inside a "bomb" with sand:
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/torpedadoci.jpg

Some fill the bag with sawdust, too.
    Avoid filling with sand only - it becomes hard and you can break or twist the wrists while punching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Massimo Giorgianni

Thank you all for the advises. I ll pass him all theses options

Massimo

Rags and sand, 50-50 mix. Firm and heavy with some give.

And hitting it at the bottom will result in a visit to the hospital with a broken hand. I've tried it, believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭black dragon

RAGS

• Advertisement
Advertisement