Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children Hospitalised After Drugs find In Donaghmede

Options
  • 05-05-2011 12:46pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I was out in my folks place yesterday and called into the house of two of the children involved.

6 young children were taken to hospital yesterday after finding a local drug dealers hidden stash.

The children found a hidden cigarette pack that contained 40+ ecstasy tablets.

Some of the children tasted the tablets and 6 of them were taken to hospital by two ambulances.

5 were released but one little girl remains in Temple Street.

Poor kids, hope they all recover well

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Jesus thats shocking to hear.

Hopefully they pull through ok.

Where in Donaghmede did this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

oh jaysus god love them xxx

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

What sort of kids "taste" drugs they found in a bush??

When i was a kid i never met anybody stupid enough to swally unknown pills they just happenn to come across.

Degsy wrote: »

When i was a kid i never met anybody stupid enough to swally unknown pills they just happenn to come across.

inquisitive ones??

could be anyones child making a childish mistake

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

pithater1 It happened in one of the housing estates near the church.

Degsy they were packaged as sweets and they were very young kids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Meh, I used to eat snails and slugs in the back garden! But then I was a baby I think. The kids probably just thought they were sweets. Nothing that strange I'd have thought?

enda1 wrote: »
    Meh, I used to eat snails and slugs in the back garden! But then I was a baby I think. The kids probably just thought they were sweets. Nothing that strange I'd have thought?

Well when i was a kid we were shown what tablets in the medicine press looked like and warned never to touch them..there were also lots and lots of public information films and information about the dangers,indeed stupidity of sampling unkown medicines.

As for them being packaged like sweets i think any kid would be able to tell the difference between a sweet and an E pretty much immediatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The Master wrote: »
    pithater1 It happened in one of the housing estates near the church.

Degsy they were packaged as sweets and they were very young kids

Ah I think I know where you're talking about, still remember the warnings I got as a kid growing up in Donaghmede about picking up strange items.

Well when i was a kid we were shown what tablets in the medicine press looked like and warned never to touch them..there were also lots and lots of public information films and information about the dangers,indeed stupidity of sampling unkown medicines.

As for them being packaged like sweets i think any kid would be able to tell the difference between a sweet and an E pretty much immediatly.

what age were the children?? my son wood not know the difference between a sweet and an e.... jaysus im not sure if i wood know if it was packaged like a sweetie ??

PinkFly wrote: »
    what age were the children?? my son wood not know the difference between a sweet and an e.... jaysus im not sure if i wood know if it was packaged like a sweetie ??

E's arent "packaged like sweets",they dont taste like sweets and they dont look like sweets.
    If there's any doubt then maybe kids arent being educated in the basic differences.

• Advertisement

they were packaged as sweets in this situation??

hows a young child to know the difference between an e tablet in a sweet packet and an actual sweet?

they wouldnt!! no matter how much teachin u wud do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

hows a young child to know the difference between an e tablet in a sweet packet and an actual sweet?

They were packaged in a cigarette box!

Well they werent in a sweet packet for starters and for secondly maybe if they were told never to eat anything they found on the street,in a bush or in a cigarette packet for examples.

When i was a kid we were warned never accept sweets from strangers or from an open packet that you might find and certainly never eat pills out of a cigarette box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 5series

Hi Lads

For the record - and please feel free to pass this information on - my children licked the tablets ok. My daughter & son who are 5 & 3 respectively were egged on by others to swallow the tablet as 'it will turn you into a flower' as stated by a six year old.
    As for the comment in regards to warning my children to stay away from tablets etc.... I have done so, but I do not keep ecstasy in my medicine drawer to use an example. This was a yellow pill that at first casual glance looked like one of those swizzer sweets - the ones that you get in a tube in a multi pack of sweets.
    I am far from a perfect mother like EVERY OTHER MOTHER. But I do my best, if anyone is to blame for this close to fatal tragedy it is society in general - the court system for allowing this 'person' to continue wheeling & dealing on my street, the confectionary industry for producing tablet like sweets for youngsters to be enticed to consume, and of course, mothers like me who believe their children are safe playing with other children on our cul de sac in broad day light in full view of all our neighbours

5series wrote: »
    Hi Lads

For the record - and please feel free to pass this information on - my children licked the tablets ok. My daughter & son who are 5 & 3 respectively were egged on by others to swallow the tablet as 'it will turn you into a flower' as stated by a six year old.
    As for the comment in regards to warning my children to stay away from tablets etc.... I have done so, but I do not keep ecstasy in my medicine drawer to use an example. This was a yellow pill that at first casual glance looked like one of those swizzer sweets - the ones that you get in a tube in a multi pack of sweets.
    I am far from a perfect mother like EVERY OTHER MOTHER. But I do my best, if anyone is to blame for this close to fatal tragedy it is society in general - the court system for allowing this 'person' to continue wheeling & dealing on my street, the confectionary industry for producing tablet like sweets for youngsters to be enticed to consume, and of course, mothers like me who believe their children are safe playing with other children on our cul de sac in broad day light in full view of all our neighbours

thank you for your side of the story....

what a very lucky escape the little ones had....

its a disgrace ppl leave this stuff lying around....

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

I find it amazing that you allow your FIVE and THREE year old out to play unsupervised no matter where you live cul de sac or not. Im am not for one second saying you are to blame or you are a bad parent but seriously THREE!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

ladypip wrote: »
    I find it amazing that you allow your FIVE and THREE year old out to play unsupervised no matter where you live cul de sac or not. Im am not for one second saying you are to blame or you are a bad parent but seriously THREE!!

Ditto......this is shocking alright, in many many aspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Give the woman a break! When I was five I was part of a huge gang of kids in my neighbourhood who ranged from three to eight years old. The gang of us would play in each other's back gardens or take off up the road on our bikes, or go to the park and play football, kids stuff. We threw stones at a wasps nest :eek: even though we knew it could cause them to sting us (they did :)) and we did all the sorts of things that little enthusiastic kids do, including stuff that today when I look back I think "Holy fiddlestick! I'm lucky I survived at all!" :)

I know things were 'different' 30 years ago but one of the girls in our group was still subjected to an abduction attempt and there were plenty of junkies and dealers back then too.

If older kids encourage younger kids to do something they usually cave to peer pressure.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Give the woman a break! When I was five I was part of a huge gang of kids in my neighbourhood who ranged from three to eight years old. The gang of us would play in each other's back gardens or take off up the road on our bikes, or go to the park and play football, kids stuff. We threw stones at a wasps nest :eek: even though we knew it could cause them to sting us (they did :)) and we did all the sorts of things that little enthusiastic kids do, including stuff that today when I look back I think "Holy fiddlestick! I'm lucky I survived at all!" :)

I know things were 'different' 30 years ago but one of the girls in our group was still subjected to an abduction attempt and there were plenty of junkies and dealers back then too.

If older kids encourage younger kids to do something they usually cave to peer pressure.

When I was 5 and out playing I was out where my mother could see me. If I wandered off she came looking for me very quickly, I got slapped and didn't wander off again. I feel for the parents, they must have been worried sick. IMO children of that age should not be left unsupervised.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Good grief folks! The issue here, as I see it, is not whether children should or shouldn't be left unattended or whether they should or shouldn't know not to 'taste' strange things!!

The big issue is that these drugs were found in our community. These dealers are freely touting their wares on our streets, getting slapped on the wrists and off they go again!! Some of you on here, I can guarantee, know people who dabble in drugs and possibly selling them and think nothing of it and would never report it. Until we can freely report these people without fear of retribution this kind of thing will continue to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

You never met a 5 year old who eats sweets, no?

Dovies wrote: »
    Good grief folks! The issue here, as I see it, is not whether children should or shouldn't be left unattended or whether they should or shouldn't know not to 'taste' strange things!!

The big issue is that these drugs were found in our community. These dealers are freely touting their wares on our streets, getting slapped on the wrists and off they go again!! Some of you on here, I can guarantee, know people who dabble in drugs and possibly selling them and think nothing of it and would never report it. Until we can freely report these people without fear of retribution this kind of thing will continue to happen.

You're moniker is a reference to a brand of "Ecstacy" in case you don't realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

SteoL wrote: »
    When I was 5 and out playing I was out where my mother could see me. If I wandered off she came looking for me very quickly, I got slapped and didn't wander off again. I feel for the parents, they must have been worried sick. IMO children of that age should not be left unsupervised.

I find it hard to believe that you only wandered off once in your life, got slapped and then never did it again!! That must have been some vicious beating you took from your mother to cow your spirit like that!

So this one time you did wander off, what if at that time you were three or five years old and a group of older kids with you had encouraged you to climb a tree or eat a sweet they had found? Did you never bow to peer pressure as a child? Never complete a 'dare'? I find this all very dubious!

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that you only wandered off once in your life, got slapped and then never did it again!! That must have been some vicious beating you took from your mother to cow your spirit like that!

So this one time you did wander off, what if at that time you were three or five years old and a group of older kids with you had encouraged you to climb a tree or eat a sweet they had found? Did you never bow to peer pressure as a child? Never complete a 'dare'? I find this all very dubious!

My point is whenever I wandered off, and yes it was more than once, my mother would have been watching me and very quickly would have been after me. I was also taught not to put strange things found in the ground into my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

You're moniker is a reference to a brand of "Ecstacy" in case you don't realise that.

Nope! Guess I better change my name - wonder what my mother will think of that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Kids are taking drugs much younger these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Hi Lads

You left a 3 year old and a 5 year old out to play on the road without supervising them? that's deffo the courts fault so, possibly your neighbours too for not keeping a closer eye on them. And lets not forget that drug dealer and the six year old who egged those kids on. And society too, can't forget to blame society.

It's definitely not your fault though. No siree.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Bambi wrote: »
    You left a 3 year old and a 5 year old out to play on the road without supervising them? that's deffo the courts fault so, possibly your neighbours too for not keeping a closer eye on them. And lets not forget that drug dealer and the six year old who egged them on.

Thats exactly the reason i posted. I wouldn't have if 5series hadn't blamed society, The makers of mars bars and the court system all before herself.

Fact is this is the kind of thing that happens when young children are left unsupervised or worse it was lucky that none of the children died but it was also just pure luck that they didn't run in front of a car, get abducted, wander off to the main road etc etc etc. When you are relying on luck to bring up your children its time to rethink your parenting skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

My point is whenever I wandered off, and yes it was more than once, my mother would have been watching me and very quickly would have been after me. I was also taught not to put strange things found in the ground into my mouth.
    Bambi wrote: »
    You left a 3 year old and a 5 year old out to play on the road without supervising them? that's deffo the courts fault so, possibly your neighbours too for not keeping a closer eye on them. And lets not forget that drug dealer and the six year old who egged those kids on. And society too, can't forget to blame society.

ladypip wrote: »
    Thats exactly the reason i posted. I wouldn't have if 5series hadn't blamed society, The makers of mars bars and the court system all before herself.

Fact is this is the kind of thing that happens when young children are left unsupervised or worse it was lucky that none of the children died but it was also just pure luck that they didn't run in front of a car, get abducted, wander off to the main road etc etc etc. When you are relying on luck to bring up your children its time to rethink your parenting skills.

how many kids do you posters have? just interested in how many you need to have, and if there are any forms to fill out, before you are provided with the high horse?

i was a **** of a kid, i ran off, i ate stuff, my parents could not keep up with me. i am also smarter than the average bear, get bored easily and i dont think they could have kept me in if they locked me up. at 2 i got out and i think i tried to run off with the gypsies. i turned out alright and my parents are good people.

there is no black and white and this is a lucky escape that could have ended in tragedy. parents have enough to worry about without dealers stashing ecstasy in kids play areas tbh.

• Advertisement

So there are now sweets that will "Turn you into a flower?",yes?

Sounds to me like the 6 year old knew damn well they werent sweets.

Advertisement