Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children Hospitalised After Drugs find In Donaghmede

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Degsy wrote: »
    So there are now sweets that will "Turn you into a flower?",yes?

Sounds to me like the 6 year old knew damn well they werent sweets.
    perhaps...

or an older, perhaps controlling kid, decided to say something to convince the 3 yr old to taste it.
    perhaps the 6 yr old understood there were risky consequences of eating things found on the ground (as told by his/her parents) but, in order to test the theory, decided to get some other kids to try it out. being childish, ie, clever enough to think of a way around getting on trouble but not mature enough to measure the risk

there are plenty of scenarios and not all of them involve parents who dont give a **** about their kids

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I agree that the parent should accept some responsibility, absolutely but I totally agree with subway :)
    subway wrote: »
    i was a **** of a kid, i ran off, i ate stuff, my parents could not keep up with me. i am also smarter than the average bear, get bored easily and i dont think they could have kept me in if they locked me up. at 2 i got out and i think i tried to run off with the gypsies. i turned out alright and my parents are good people.

Me too! I was generally a good kid but I did get up to mischief from time to time and to be honest, only sheer luck meant that I didn't seriously injure myself on occasion. :D Today I'm a very responsible adult, part of the senior management of my company, highly educated and also a parent myself of a one-year old daughter.
    parents have enough to worry about without dealers stashing ecstasy in kids play areas tbh.
    They sure do! Even in my house, if I take my eyes off my daughter for 20 seconds, she's in another room trying to pull out the socket protectors so she can stick her fingers in. That's in my own house, 20 seconds unobserved! When she's five I honestly don't know how I'll keep my eyes on her, unless I lock her up in her room and make sure the windows are locked too! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

perhaps...

or an older, perhaps controlling kid, decided to say something to convince the 3 yr old to taste it.
    perhaps the 6 yr old understood there were risky consequences of eating things found on the ground (as told by his/her parents) but, in order to test the theory, decided to get some other kids to try it out. being childish, ie, clever enough to think of a way around getting on trouble but not mature enough to measure the risk

there are plenty of scenarios and not all of them involve parents who dont give a **** about their kids

I know where you're coming from but someting doesnt sound right about this whole thing.
    I remember something similar happened in baldoyle years ago when a ten-year old "discovered" a stash of hash and went round the place selling it.
    He found it in his own house and it was his brother's stash.

Where exactly were the drugs discovererd?

Edit

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/14407382

Another parent said: "One child had swallowed it, so I went to alert the other parents and it was then that I stumbled across 50 ecstasy tablets in a driveway."

I know where you're coming from but someting doesnt sound right about this whole thing.
    I remember something similar happened in baldoyle years ago when a ten-year old "discovered" a stash of hash and went round the place selling it.
    He found it in his own house and it was his brother's stash.

Where exactly were the drugs discovererd?
    ok, so maybe there is more to the story. i'm taking it on face value for the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭hatz7

Well when i was a kid we were shown what tablets in the medicine press looked like and warned never to touch them..there were also lots and lots of public information films and information about the dangers,indeed stupidity of sampling unkown medicines.

As for them being packaged like sweets i think any kid would be able to tell the difference between a sweet and an E pretty much immediatly.

your views on this are comical/stupid, I doubt they knew they were downing e's, they're children for gods sake

'When you were a kid' jesus, I love those stories, not, nobody cares about what planet you lived on in your childhood, I don't remember ever seeing any such 'informational films', ever.

I totally doubt a child could look at an e and a sweet and be able to tell the difference between them

• Advertisement

hatz7 wrote: »
    your views on this are comical/stupid, I doubt they knew they were downing e's, they're children for gods sake

Maybe not at 3 years of age but a six year old might have more savvy than you think.

Potentially to imitate or copy, definitely, and but i think a 6 year old who grasps tge concept of what they are doing and truly understand the risks would be few and far between.

Perhaps a case of misadventures at worst

And a six-year old might be more savvy than you think..especially if there are older siblings.
    'When you were a kid' jesus, I love those stories, not, nobody cares about what planet you lived on in your childhood, I don't remember ever seeing any such 'informational films', ever.

I lived on a planet wher you didnt swallow pills you happened to find in the street.
    When i was about 6 i found a jar of purple pills across the road from my granny's house in clontarf and i certainly didnt feel it would be a good idea to take them or to find a younger kid to tell to take them. I found a bottle of some sort of medicine in an old shed around the same time and didnt think "Oh this'll turn me into a flower"
    I totally doubt a child could look at an e and a sweet and be able to tell the difference between them

Try tasting an e and tell me they taste like sweets..they're vile tasting and bitter,you wouldnt msitake a tablet for a sweet if you licked it..no siree.

I see where you are coming from degsy, but isn't the crux of all this that the kids all tasted the pills together, in a group. I think the 6 year old would be in hospital alone otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

how many kids do you posters have? just interested in how many you need to have, and if there are any forms to fill out, before you are provided with the high horse?

Remember this is boards we're talking about: where your level of knowledge (and judgment) of parenting always seems to be directly proportional to not having kids.

My mother would have needed to be a human fucking octopus to have kept me in rein when I was a kid - not to mention the capacity that any human being has to make mistakes and errors of judgment. Something my own kids constantly do to me now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I see where you are coming from degsy, but isn't the crux of all this that the kids all tasted the pills together, in a group. I think the 6 year old would be in hospital alone otherwise

According to the poster who said it was her children, the 6 year old egged the other children on to taste the tablets... which begs the question, what the hell was a three year old doing out unsupervised with a 6 year old... I'd never let my children out of my sight if they were that age (they are 2 and 1 at the moment), but when they are 3 or even 6 they won't be allowed out of my sight if they are playing outside. No way, no how.

The children unsupervised is a contributing factor, certainly, but it is not the root of the problem.

The parents and kids will have gotten a terrible fright, but if you read a bit more you will see most people agree it is impossible to always watch tgem. H

The children unsupervised is a contributing factor, certainly, but it is not the root of the problem.

The parents and kids will have gotten a terrible fright, but if you read a bit more you will see most people agree it is impossible to always watch tgem. H

It's not impossible to always watch them, especially if they're outside, you go out with them or you do not let them out... well in my view anyway.

Of course the parents and kids would have gotten an awful fright but maybe this could have been avoided if one of the parents was watching a group of kids huddled around something and came up to investigate it.

And a six-year old might be more savvy than you think..especially if there are older siblings.
    I lived on a planet wher you didnt swallow pills you happened to find in the street.
    When i was about 6 i found a jar of purple pills across the road from my granny's house in clontarf and i certainly didnt feel it would be a good idea to take them or to find a younger kid to tell to take them. I found a bottle of some sort of medicine in an old shed around the same time and didnt think "Oh this'll turn me into a flower"
    Try tasting an e and tell me they taste like sweets..they're vile tasting and bitter,you wouldnt msitake a tablet for a sweet if you licked it..no siree.

No, a six year old is exactly that , a six year old! six year olds are not savvy at anything. When people say that about children, they say it to be nice about them, not because they mean it.

Aren't you great for finding stuff and not tasting it, fair play to ya.

An e doesn't taste like a sweet, but, in the eyes of a child, it is shaped like a sweet and looks like a sweet, and if it looks like a sweet, then to a six year old that may be good enough to qualify it as a sweet. Is that savvy enough for ya???
    If your an adult you have some seriously misguided views on how children do/ should act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 M.Pellet

No, a six year old is exactly that , a six year old! six year olds are not savvy at anything. When people say that about children, they say it to be nice about them, not because they mean it.

Aren't you great for finding stuff and not tasting it, fair play to ya.

An e doesn't taste like a sweet, but, in the eyes of a child, it is shaped like a sweet and looks like a sweet, and if it looks like a sweet, then to a six year old that may be good enough to qualify it as a sweet. Is that savvy enough for ya???
    If your an adult you have some seriously misguided views on how children do/ should act.

Well all i will say is you must know some seriously thick children.

You see a child might be athick in your eyes but if they see a "sweet" that looks like a "sweet" and is shaped like a "sweet" they'll soon discover its not a "sweet" when they put it in thier mouth and discover it tastes like crap.
    I mean most children wont even eat sprouts and most adults wont be able to chew an E without retching so whats so difficult to understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

how many kids do you posters have? just interested in how many you need to have, and if there are any forms to fill out, before you are provided with the high horse?

i was a **** of a kid, i ran off, i ate stuff, my parents could not keep up with me. i am also smarter than the average bear, get bored easily and i dont think they could have kept me in if they locked me up. at 2 i got out and i think i tried to run off with the gypsies. i turned out alright and my parents are good people.

there is no black and white and this is a lucky escape that could have ended in tragedy. parents have enough to worry about without dealers stashing ecstasy in kids play areas tbh.

Im a mother of one to a three year old little boy and i also live in Donaghmede. And he has NEVER been out to play on the street unsupervised or not. And he has also never tasted an E.

Im not on a high horse i just think yes it was an unfortunate accident but also the parent needs to face up to the fact that its up to her to keep her children safe despite society, the courts, drug dealers and confectionery manufacturers.

Three years old is awfully young to be out playing on the street I wouldn't have been allowed out at that age nor would my relations, nobody i know would let their three year old out to play im not saying we are all super parents but come on logic has to come in to play at some stage!

M.Pellet wrote: »
    Well all i will say is you must know some seriously thick children.

You see a child might be athick in your eyes but if they see a "sweet" that looks like a "sweet" and is shaped like a "sweet" they'll soon discover its not a "sweet" when they put it in thier mouth and discover it tastes like crap.
    I mean most children wont even eat sprouts and most adults wont be able to chew an E without retching so whats so difficult to understand?

Are you serious, or just havin a laugh?

I don't know any 'thick' 6 year olds, I don't know any 'genius' 6 year olds either, I do know regular, run a muck, football playin, messin, 6 year olds.

'most adults wont be able to chew an E without retching', that's a load of bollox,

wtf do you know about e's anyway?
    alot of e's are tasteless, you wouldn't start retching if you chewed on it.adult or not.

And you wrote 2nd paragraph that was completely crap. It makes no sense, What in the name of god are you doing comparing sweets and brussel sprouts? WEAK argument kid. That entire 2nd paragraph is an EPIC FAIL.
    There is soooo much wrong with it.

'they'll soon discover its not a "sweet"', ooooh your powers of foresight are indeed truly amazing captain foresight!

Do you honestly think that they took the e's and immediately began retching and puking straight away???

Please answer no,Please answer no,Please answer no,Please answer no,

Are you serious, or just havin a laugh?

I don't know any 'thick' 6 year olds, I don't know any 'genius' 6 year olds either, I do know regular, run a muck, football playin, messin, 6 year olds.

'most adults wont be able to chew an E without retching', that's a load of bollox,

wtf do you know about e's anyway?
    alot of e's are tasteless, you wouldn't start retching if you chewed on it.adult or not.

And you wrote 2nd paragraph that was completely crap. It makes no sense, What in the name of god are you doing comparing sweets and brussel sprouts? WEAK argument kid. That entire 2nd paragraph is an EPIC FAIL.
    There is soooo much wrong with it.

'they'll soon discover its not a "sweet"', ooooh your powers of foresight are indeed truly amazing captain foresight!

Do you honestly think that they took the e's and immediately began retching and puking straight away???

Please answer no,Please answer no,Please answer no,Please answer no,

Lol..you need to take pill yourself there sunshine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

exactly, and thats why you dont leave your three year old child in the care of a six year old. which is what these parents effectively did by not supervising the younger kids themselves.

ive a three year old, she regularly has a few 6/7 year old girls calling in to play with her. she plays in our front garden while i sit at the porch door watching every move she makes. both her and the kids no that she cannot put a foot outside the garden and even if she was to id be able to see her and stop her because its my responsibility to make sure she doesnt, not the responsibility of a 6 or 7 year old.

same way the parents of these children were responsible for them and what they did or did not eat on the streets.

i'l agree that kids will be little ****s and will want to do things they know damn well they shouldnt, but at the end of the day its their parents responsibility to supervise them and ensure that they dont do it. especially at such a young age, whatever about when they get that bit older, but 3 and 5?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

There's some amount of sanctimonious preaching in here from those who think it possible to have an eye on your children 24/7. Kids find what looks like sweets in a box in a field, they taste them. End of.
    I really hope it stays fine for all you perfect parents who watch their children at all hours of the day & night thus eliminating the possibility of them ever doing something they shouldn't.
    It is regrettable that this happened but spouting about what a wonderful parent you are and how this would never happen to your little darlings is offensive and dishonest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

i think if it was 9 or 10 year olds involved nobody would even comment, its the fact that these kids are so young and dependent upon their parents for constant supervision that is scary. i genuinely find it scary that kids of that age are left to their own devices. forgetting about the drugs- cars, wandering off and getting lost, so many things that they just cannot deal with at such a young age.

i really do feel for the parents, i do, and im not trying to be holier than thou but i just cant get over it, they're so young

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

optogirl wrote: »
    There's some amount of sanctimonious preaching in here from those who think it possible to have an eye on your children 24/7. Kids find what looks like sweets in a box in a field, they taste them. End of.
    I really hope it stays fine for all you perfect parents who watch their children at all hours of the day & night thus eliminating the possibility of them ever doing something they shouldn't.
    It is regrettable that this happened but spouting about what a wonderful parent you are and how this would never happen to your little darlings is offensive and dishonest.

100% agree. As a parent of 3 kids under 7 I can't believe how much parent bashing is going on in this thread. Barely a mention of the scum who "lost" their income for the week.

Was it not mentioned in one of the earlier links that they were found in a driveway? And for all we know it could have been in a garden the kids were confined to, and although not under "constant" supervision, they were, as far as the parents could guarantee, in a safe environment?

Plascebo wrote: »
    100% agree. As a parent of 3 kids under 7 I can't believe how much parent bashing is going on in this thread. Barely a mention of the scum who "lost" their income for the week.

Was it not mentioned in one of the earlier links that they were found in a driveway? And for all we know it could have been in a garden the kids were confined to, and although not under "constant" supervision, they were, as far as the parents could guarantee, in a safe environment?

It was mentioned in the news article that an adult found them in the garden, possibly after the kids brought it there, it doesn't say where they were originally found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

The Master wrote: »
    pithater1 It happened in one of the housing estates near the church.

Degsy they were packaged as sweets and they were very young kids

Packaged as sweets .....In a cigarette box !!!
    Just as well the E's nowadays are really weak otherwise those kids could have been seriously harmed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

charlemont wrote: »
    Just as well the E's nowadays are really weak...

Unless they were the blue ones :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

If the 6 year old was so dumb why did they give it to someone else to test first and manipulate a story too.

And as for the pills, they could just as easily have been any sort of poison packaged in a bleach bottle as lemonade. That point is moot.

The kids were in the neighbourhood playing as kids do. **** happens,they could have Just as easily been in a house. Fortunately they are ok and learned a valuable lesson not to eat stuff they find, or trick others into doing so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

reel yer neck in Degsy, please.

The rest of you, stop attacking the parent, who undoubtedly is going through a rough time of it and hardly needs strangers on the internet pointing fingers at them, I'm sure they are doing enough of that themselves.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 5series

Hi Guys,

We've learnt the hard way - all parents of the children involved. It would be true to say that they evidently were not being supervised efficiently but we as a small community had taken it for granted that our children would be safe playing in our view, on our cul de sac.
    I for one, had my stomach turned inside out when the story made front page in the Herald. Because there it was, in black & white, I had endangered my own children. That's something that I will never forgive myself for.

It's very easy, for those of you who know very little about the situation, to judge us and rate my parenting skills. I take my hat off to you all & hope one day I can be as perfect as you.

But for the cynics out there, from the horses mouth please take note..... A girl visiting my neighbours child found a cigarette box on the road (there's only so much information a 6yr in shock can remember). The box was taken to my neighbors driveway where the contents were investigated by 6 children. In the process, the child turned the cigarette box upside down, spilling the contents on the driveway. These were small yellow tablets that didn't stand out against the cement backdrop they fell upon. In the panic that followed, I & several others, had trampled across these tablets oblivious to what they were before we went searching for the cigarette box. That is all fact, I wish I had proof but I don't.

You'll all be glad to hear that the little girl who swallowed the tablet has made a fantastic recovery & all children involved are back living their normal lives albeit under strict supervision within enclosed areas.

They all lived to tell the tale and words can't describe how grateful we are for that.

Thank You to Makikomi & all the others for having such mature, realistic & non judgemental responses to this topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Fair play 5series - not an easy thing to write. That's fantastic the kids are ok - and the most important thing.

I remember I and some of my friends put goat droppings in our mouths at a wildlife park and chewed them because we thought they were Malteasers (:pac:), the poisonous berries thing was the scourge of parents when I was a kid. Yet they were eaten - despite warnings, because a parent cannot chaperone their children when they go out to play, and children are naturally very curious. Even under supervision, stuff can happen - my mother discovered my brother chewing a firelighter when he was a toddler, at school I chewed the top off one of those toy baby bottles that had the head welded into them and contained fake milk so that I could have a sup. I was sick after it. Oh and I drank a load of bubble bath - violently sick. Was my mother negligent? Absolutely not. My grandad stupidly used to leave pills lying around all over the place and my brother was one tearaway of a toddler - if he had popped one or more of my grandad's pills (which looked like sweets apparently) that would be my grandad's fault, not my parents'. Thankfully the Donaghmede incident is in the past, but a huge part of the problem was that drugs were in a place (even if accidentally so) that children managed to get their hands on them.

The Herald is such a rag though - this stuff happens all the time but because it involved drugs (Joe) it makes news...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Delighted to hear that the kids are OK, 5series.

Advertisement