Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuck with 3mb broadband

Options
  • 05-05-2011 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if eircom have any plans on upgrading or adding new exchanges across the the country to improve the speeds of their broadband. UPC just accounced that the slowest broadband they are offering will be a 25mb connection. AFAIK eircoms fastest connection is 24mb. I'm stuck on a 3mb connection due to the distance from the exchange to my house and sadly UPC don't offer their service in my estate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

If you go to www.nextgenerationbroadband.ie they have a map that shows what exchanges around the country are NGB enabled and the estimated timeframe for implementation in other exchanges.
    I'm in the same boat as you unfortunately with no access to UPC and no indication from Eircom that my exchange is going to be upgraded anytime soon.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Your lines maximum speed will not change with the exchange upgeade to NGB. If your max is 3Mb you will still get 3Mb on NGB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

DonJose wrote: »
    Just wondering if eircom have any plans on upgrading or adding new exchanges across the the country to improve the speeds of their broadband. UPC just accounced that the slowest broadband they are offering will be a 25mb connection. AFAIK eircoms fastest connection is 24mb. I'm stuck on a 3mb connection due to the distance from the exchange to my house and sadly UPC don't offer their service in my estate.

Hi DonJose,

Thanks again for your post here.

If you log on to the eircom products website or www.ngb.ie you you will be notified by email before your broadband and local exchange is due to be upgraded.

We have previously advised that we do not have a definitive time when your broadband connection will be upgraded. At the moment your broadband is limited to 3Mb, due to the distance from the local exchange to your premises and the nature of (rate adaptive) adsl.

If you need more information on eircom products or wish to avail of online offers and serives available in your location please see : http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/

Let me know if I can help further or please call directly : Broadband Sales : 1800 503303 (freefone).

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Ant thanks for your reply. Eircom really needs to start building more telephone/sub telephone exchanges. A lot of towns have expanded over the past decade away from the main telephone exchanges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Ant thanks for your reply. Eircom really needs to start building more telephone/sub telephone exchanges. A lot of towns have expanded over the past decade away from the main telephone exchanges.

Cheers Donjose,

I fully accept your position and know that this can be frustrating. Eircom are attempting to upgrade the local area exchanges and there is a firm process in place to roll out Next Generation Broadband nation-wide.

I agree there are a lot of towns that require a higher bandwidth broadband capacity and eircom are continually enabling these exchanges.

At the moment, as I said before, I don't have a definite date of an upgrade in your area. I will check this again in the near future and will let you know as soon as I hear more.

If you would like to post here any time, I will check this. As said, please use our websites and check this at any stage: www.ngb.ie and our products website : http://www.eircom.net/broadband/products/

Let me know if I can help you further.
    All the best,
    Ant

• Advertisement

Ant, is there a possibility of Eircom enabling another exchange of the east side of Mullingar, near the Mullingar park hotel or the IDA business park. I'm self employed in the software industy, it takes me 4 hours or longer to upload a 400mb file via my eircom connection, same file could be uploaded in 5 minutes via UPC 100mb connection. I've been hounding Minister Rabbitte and my local politicians about the lack of high speed broadband in my area. I haven't mentioned Eircom to them as eircom doesnt seem to be investing in exchange upgrades. The politicans I have contacted have made several contacts with UPC, if there is a possibility of Eircom enabling another exchange of the east side of Mullingar I'd gladly bring this to their attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Upload's on DSL broadband is not good max of 80KB/s and some are even lucky to get that.My upload on DSL is 35KB/s on a 3Mb package.

UPC has uploads upto 900 KB/s they can achieve this because they use cable instead of copper wire (that eircom use).

On my Meteor 3G dongle i can get an upload speed of 320 KB/s .

Its just a limitation of DSL technology that uploads are slow
    The eircom reps may be able to get a increase of upload to your profile on your modem .

What speed do you currently get?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

In Monasterevin we are stuck on 3mb, 3 miles or so either side of Monasterevin there are small villages like Kildangan and Killenard that are on NGB, its nothing short of a joke.

jay93 wrote: »
    What speed do you currently get?

According to the Eircom speed test I get 1.76Mb/s download and .31Mb/s upload and a ping of 97ms
    Dcully wrote: »
    In Monasterevin we are stuck on 3mb, 3 miles or so either side of Monasterevin there are small villages like Kildangan and Killenard that are on NGB, its nothing short of a joke.

I feel your pain. Eircom please provide a decent service to your customers, build sub telephone exchanges to fill the gaps. I moved 400 meters away from the exchange in Mullingar and my broadband dropped from 8mb to 3mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

According to the Eircom speed test I get 1.76Mb/s download and .31Mb/s upload and a ping of 97ms

I feel your pain. Eircom please provide a decent service to your customers, build sub telephone exchanges to fill the gaps. I moved 400 meters away from the exchange in Mullingar and my broadband dropped from 8mb to 3mb.

Hi Don Jose and Dcully
    I can understand your frustration with being unable to receive maximum speed due to distance from your local exchanges but am afraid there are no plans this year to provide extra exchanges in these two areas.
    Eircom is currently involved in rolling out NGB nationally and although some new exchanges are being provided the building of new exchanges may not be the route to providing faster broadband in future.
    Due to the speed with which telecomms and particularly the internet have developed fibre optics and higher speed cable delivery are likely developments in the future.
    Sorry I can not provide a more immediate solution to your queries.
    Tony

• Advertisement

Tony and Ant, thank you both for your replies, I do appreciate it. The way things are at the moment is Eircom's fastest broadband connection is slower than UPC's slowest broadband connection. Unless Eircom upgrade their broadband delivery, and I don't mean NGB, and provide fibre to the door you will keep losing customers. Eircom cannot compete with UPC at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Matt Bauer

You're lucky. I used to have 3mb broadband, but since I switched my package I'm now stuck at 1mb. :(

Advertisement