Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland - Then and Now - Video

Options
  • 05-05-2011 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi

There appears to be a lot of archive footage of Ireland on YouTube, in people's attics on cinefilm, in RTE, and in various other places.

Many people including myself seem to have a keen interest in seeing video footage of what Ireland looked like in the past, and I have often thought it would be a great idea to have a video database indexed by location, containing video footage of...not so much events or people, as *places*.

It would be fantastic if people could, say, choose a town, choose an area, choose a time period, and sit back and watch video footage, (perhaps intertwined with photo footage but primarily video), showing what the place looked like at that time.

Houses, streets, landscapes, roads, cars, buildings, fields, and so forth.

There is a part of me that would love to embark on such a project, but it would be an enormous undertaking therefore the two questions that come to mind are:
    1. Has someone started or gone far with a similar project in the past?
    2. Is it just me? Would this be of interest to many Irish people?

Thoughts?

Alan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

Hi

There appears to be a lot of archive footage of Ireland on YouTube, in people's attics on cinefilm, in RTE, and in various other places.

Many people including myself seem to have a keen interest in seeing video footage of what Ireland looked like in the past, and I have often thought it would be a great idea to have a video database indexed by location, containing video footage of...not so much events or people, as *places*.

It would be fantastic if people could, say, choose a town, choose an area, choose a time period, and sit back and watch video footage, (perhaps intertwined with photo footage but primarily video), showing what the place looked like at that time.

Houses, streets, landscapes, roads, cars, buildings, fields, and so forth.

There is a part of me that would love to embark on such a project, but it would be an enormous undertaking therefore the two questions that come to mind are:
    1. Has someone started or gone far with a similar project in the past?
    2. Is it just me? Would this be of interest to many Irish people?

Thoughts?

Alan
    It's a good idea. I think UTV had a series of ordinary people's home movies showing people at the seaside etc

Advertisement