Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is lucan and balgaddy a good area to move to ?

Options
  • 05-05-2011 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

hi , we live in Cork city my husband recently got a job in a company in park west industrial park , we are planning to move out from Cork " sadly" on July , we have two young boys one is going to start school this September so we were looking to live in area that is close to park west and in the same time nice and safe with good primary school i know that i'm very late for school registeration thing , but all happened suddenly so i need some advise pls
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

Hi there,

I wouldn't recommend Balgaddy to be honest as it is not great, Foxborough estate near by however is fine, quite established now, nice houses, good size gardens, not too much traffic, good for children..
    The school out there Archbishop Ryan is nice, newly refurbished and extended only a few years ago, my mum used to run the board of management there and the teachers are fantastic, went there myself for a couple of years (a lifetime ago)...
    You might get some good answers in the Dublin City West forum..

best of luck with your move to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

To be honest like the above said balgaddy would be a no go for me, some parts of lucan are nice, but youd be better placed in Clondalkin right beside park west, check out these areas, cappaghmore,monastery, monastery rise, monastery gate, monastery heath, floraville, Newlands.

Monastery, Cappaghmore and Newlands would be the pick of the bunch but the rest are all nice areas in Clondalkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Clondalkin Village area would be much handier for Parkwest,more shops,schools,transport links etc.

All of the estates in and around the village are fine.Monastery,Floraville,Cappaghmore,St.Johns Wood,Newlands,Laurel Park,St.Bridgids would be good places to look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

If you drive most areas in Lucan south of N4 are fine for park west- Foxborough, Moy Glas, Griffeen, Ballyowen et al all fine, near Clondalkin village fine too (and more amenities). All areas handy for Liffey valley SC.
    Am a resident of the locality so would have to agree with avoiding Balgaddy

• Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

South Lucan and Foxborough are good. The 151 bus also operates from Foxborough to outside Parkwest on the Nangor Road.

Avoid Balgaddy totally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Park West is also accessible from the Kildare Commuter Train Line so places like Celbridge, Sallins etc in Kildare could be an option

If he drives to work I think Newcastle, Celbridge, leixlip, Maynooth etc would be a good option

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭keaves

Also look at Palmerstown (sometimes called Palmerston?) living here myself and love it, Im 22 living with my parents and my mam works in parkwest, she leaves work 5 mins before she has to leave; so handy! Theres a local boys and girls school too and plenty of secondary schools for when they are older! Liffey valley shopping centre is also 5 mins away, town is about 15 mins away, close to the pheonix park, I love it! Not planning on looking anywhere else when I can afford to move out! great transport with the n4, loads of buses and right off the m50! Cant recommend it enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 zinaski

thank you all for your time to reply , i will have to contact all the primary schools in the areas you mentioned i would love that my son go to a national school , so where i can find a place for my son that will determine where we are going to live
    how about adamstown , esker ? there is 2 educate together schools their is it any good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I work in ParkWest and used to rent in Foxborough a few years back.
    Thoroughly agree with what others say AVOID! It's practically Ronanstown/Neilstown. I saw lots of stuff going on in the estate behind the lovely RC Church in Balgaddy whilst cycling home from work :eek:
    I lived in Foxborough Gardens and it was a nice estate at the time. However there used to be a buffer zone between Foxborough and Balgaddy/Ronanstown but it has been infilled with council housing since I moved from the area.
    One of my work mates got a council house in the new council estate at Balgaddy and told me recently that he is having an horrific time .On a transfer list! Enough said ;)

I think the estates that have been mentioned by others are fine. I would give another thumbs up for Palmerstown. Used to rent there for 2 years and the estates that have been mentioned in Clondalkin. Wouldn't recommend the Cherrywood estate. We have a mate living there for years and it has got very "rough around the edges" over the last 10 years!
    Some parts of Walkinstown might be an option too around St Peter's Road. Very close to ParkWest but traffic might be an issue depending on what time work starts/finishes

• Registered Users Posts: 12 zinaski

thanks for your help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

zinaski wrote: »
    thank you all for your time to reply , i will have to contact all the primary schools in the areas you mentioned i would love that my son go to a national school , so where i can find a place for my son that will determine where we are going to live
    how about adamstown , esker ? there is 2 educate together schools their is it any good ?

Adamstown is....very strange. It's quite difficult to explain but it has a very unsettling and artificial feel to it. The whole place is Ireland's first purpose built 'town' so in theory it is a perfect model of urban planning but...it just feels weird. The area is only about half occupied while it's surroudned by vacant fields as the boom collapsed jsut as it went to market. It's worth having a look to see the vibe I'm talking about.

In addition, it has a huge population of non-nationals. I'd say about 50% of Adamstown is black. I'm not saying this is good, bad or indifferent but it's something to be aware of.

On the whole, I get the impression the area could become very ghettoised in future. I'd probably avoid it if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

keaves wrote: »
    Im 22 living with my parents and my mam works in parkwest, she leaves work 5 mins before she has to leave; so handy!

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭keaves

Sorry :rolleyes: ; she leaves for work 5 minutes before she has to arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Sundew wrote: »
    I work in ParkWest and used to rent in Foxborough a few years back.
    Thoroughly agree with what others say AVOID! It's practically Ronanstown/Neilstown. I saw lots of stuff going on in the estate behind the lovely RC Church in Balgaddy whilst cycling home from work :eek:
    I lived in Foxborough Gardens and it was a nice estate at the time. However there used to be a buffer zone between Foxborough and Balgaddy/Ronanstown but it has been infilled with council housing since I moved from the area.
    One of my work mates got a council house in the new council estate at Balgaddy and told me recently that he is having an horrific time .On a transfer list! Enough said ;)
    Eh excuse me Neilstown is nowhere near as bad as Foxobrough/Balgaddy :pac:

OP I'd definitely vote for somewhere in and around Clondalkin village, the village itself is lovely and has a lot of good primary schools, shops and transport links.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

phasers wrote: »
    Eh excuse me Neilstown is nowhere near as bad as Foxobrough/Balgaddy :pac:

OP I'd definitely vote for somewhere in and around Clondalkin village, the village itself is lovely and has a lot of good primary schools, shops and transport links.

Sorry didn't chance renting there to find out ....but you've obviously never ever lived outside Neilstown ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement