Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fota Wildlife Park or Dublin Zoo

Options
  • 05-05-2011 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I was hoping to take my four year old on an outing this Saturday (weather permitting). We regularly visit pet farms and she really enjoys them so I was thinking of taking her to either Dublin Zoo or Fota Wildlife Park but I'm not sure which would be more enjoyable for her. Personaly, I like to see animals roaming around freely but this is an outing for my daughter so I want to chose the place that I think she will enjoy most.

I'm sure that lots of people on this forum have been to both, so I'd be very grateful if you could advise me or relay your experiences. (I live in the West so I don't mind travelling to Dublin or Cork).

Many thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Hi OP, i personally prefer Fota for the kids.

I think a lot of people will disagree with me on this though.

My reasons are that there's never as many people at Fota as there is at the Zoo.
    There's plenty of space for the kids to run around in(the right places of course)
    I also love that part of Cork. Ballycotton and Cobh aren't too far away.:)

Ps, i know there's alot more animals to see at the zoo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Until we went to fota last year I would have said there, a lot of parts were been developed which meant there was less to see. I think dublin zoo is better and has more play areas we would usually end up spending most of the day there but had done all of fota in a couple of hrs last year. You get to see more animals up close and personal at dublin which would probably be better for a 4yr old. Which ever you pick enjoy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Fota way better.

The children get to pet (some of )the animals and its just a more enjoyable day out for adults too.

Check the weather forecast first though, neither place worth the expense unless weather good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

They're both good in different ways. In Fota most animals are in a more natural environment but there is more to see in the Zoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Fota is easier to get to and is far more humane!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭spudulike

100% the Zoo is better. Far more animals... you get get within a pane of glass from the tigers as they walk their laps. My 3 year old loves the seals and penguins which aren't in fota. In fact now that I think of it there's soo much more to see in the Zoo, if you actually want to see lots of animals it's definitely the way to go. Fota is good for a nice walk in good weather with some animals and birds thrown in... plus it has the little train which is good. But for me the Zoo kicks fota's behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

spudulike wrote: »
    100% the Zoo is better. Far more animals... you get get within a pane of glass from the tigers as they walk their laps. My 3 year old loves the seals and penguins which aren't in fota. In fact now that I think of it there's soo much more to see in the Zoo, if you actually want to see lots of animals it's definitely the way to go. Fota is good for a nice walk in good weather with some animals and birds thrown in... plus it has the little train which is good. But for me the Zoo kicks fota's behind.

there is penguins and seals in fota

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭goosie2005

I've been to both many times, i think the zoo is better overall for this agegroup, where they like playgrounds and move on quick enough, less of a walk between animals. Alot better also on a rainy day, lots of indoor houses to go to if it's wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭spudulike

there is penguins and seals in fota

They must have been asleep the day we went.

They must have been asleep the day we went.

maybe :D
    but probably not as they sleep in their enclosures and the penguins and the seals are both visible when they're alseep

i know patch and elvis (The seals) were sick over the winter for a few months
    but they're back to full health for the last 2 months

and the penguins may have been off show for a while too as thye were doing work to the enclosure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Went to fota Easter weekend, it was fab, everything is open including their new entrance and coffee shop, one one island being renovated, cheetah run is on at 4pm and not to be missed. you can get up close and personal with ring tail lemurs, lamas and kangaroos and if your lucky the little monkeys, they have a newborn baby giraffe (setanta).

I love both zoo's grew up near fota (in youghal) and went their every year, and since having my kids i take them once a year.

All exhibits were open when we went Easter weekend. Fota have a website and a facebook page as do dublin zoo.

All exhibits were open when we went Easter weekend.

there will be some free entertainment too in fota for the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

there will be some free entertainment too in fota for the next few weeks

Indian drums and face painting!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

We have been to both lots of times with our 2 and 3 year old and if you have a child who likes a bit of freedom then Fota is much better. There is more to see at the Zoo for sure, but, my guys are not doing headcounts on what animals they have seen :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Thanks very much for all the replies :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Fota:)

That might be my favourite though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭rameire

Parts of Dublin Zoo are currently closed due to construction and refurbishment, this means a lot of backtracking and missing out on good things, so I would stay away from Dublin Zoo for a month or so.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

really?

I only noticed one bit closed up by the lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭rameire

i was told by family who were there last weekend,
    im not sure of the areas that are closed off,
    they just said dont go just yet.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭madison2011

We went to Fota last weekend, you couldn't fault it.Lots of extra things to do besides the animals e.g colouring and a drumming tent. Bring a picnic to stretch out the day. You could also visit Fota gardens to finish the day.Keep 3euro change handy for the parking on the way out. There's a secret dog graveyard in the gardens...It's a lovely day out and the kids will sleep the whole way home.

• Advertisement

I was there Monday,but we only get a bit of the zoo done each time so despite going there 3 times this month I am sure we have not seen the whole zoo!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Shellygoose

I live near Fota and have the annual membership so go out there quite a lot throughout the year. The new entrance/shop, playground and carpark are a big improvement. I love seeing the animals roam free. There are plenty of play areas dotted around the park. You would easily spend 3 hours plus in the park. The gardens are lovely aswell, my daughter loves it there....so much to explore!!! Also Cobh is only over the bridge from Fota, and its Cruise Liner season so thats always a sight to see. The town is usually buzzing when a Liner is in.

I've been to Dublin Zoo twice. We have always enjoyed our trips there. There are more animals to see but i always feel that the animals' inclosures are too small. They is construction work ongoing at the moment, think they are creating a larger area for the Gorillas, so you cant walk the complete loop and have to back track.

Whichever you choose, I think both would be a great day out! you and your family will be left with happy memories of your day out. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Wow, I must be the only one that thought Fota was crap. I went with an open mind and hated subjecting my son to it. I really expected to see the animals in decent sized enclosures. Horrible place never again!

On saying that I would love to see an end to all zoos and circuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Fota Wildlife Park V Dublin Zoo Update

Hi Guys, Just want to let you know that I ended up taking my four year old to Dublin Zoo. When I checked the weather forecast last night, the weather forecast seemed to favour Dublin so we ended going there this morning.

As I said in my opening post, I prefer to see animals roaming free so I thought I would hate Dublin Zoo, but I was surprised what a wonderful day we had. There was absolutely loads to do and see. There are lots of picnic areas, nice places to seat and relax and great play facilities for small children.

"The African Plains" and the "Family Farm" were a huge hit with my four year old, she had a really great time and I enjoyed seeing her so enthusiastic about the animals. We had a few funny moments too. When my daughter saw the giraffes, she shouted out "Wow, mam that giraffe is nearly as tall as you". (I'm very tall). And when we were in the Reptile House of course my child is the only one who wanted to know what the Tortoises were doing when they were up to a bit of "jiggy jigs". (The best I could think of on the spot was that they were having a "piggy back race"). Kids really know how to embarrass you. We were there from 11 to 5 and we could have been there for even longer! She wants to go back next week but it will be the local pet farm next week for us.

I am hoping to visit Fota next month. Thanks again to everyone for their posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

you get get within a pane of glass from the tigers as they walk their laps.

This is why I much prefer Fota. While the animals are still in captivity they have much more space to 'walk their laps'. :(

Advertisement