Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating to Dublin

Options
  • 05-05-2011 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I know these types of threads probably bore people, but the advice given is always good!

I'm relocating to Dublin in the next few weeks and I'm looking for advice on where to consider living. There are a things I'm trying to keep in mind:

1. Modern 2bed apartment - close to water (river, bay, canal - doesn't really matter. I just love water) ideally not ground floor.
    2. Close to connections to travel to Grand Canal Dock (Dart) or Charlemont (Luas) or anywhere walking distance to Baggot Street
    3. Good lively area, with all the usual amenities!

Any advice would be very welcome!

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

the dufi wrote: »
    I know these types of threads probably bore people, but the advice given is always good!

I'm relocating to Dublin in the next few weeks and I'm looking for advice on where to consider living. There are a things I'm trying to keep in mind:

1. Modern 2bed apartment - close to water (river, bay, canal - doesn't really matter. I just love water) ideally not ground floor.
    2. Close to connections to travel to Grand Canal Dock (Dart) or Charlemont (Luas) or anywhere walking distance to Baggot Street
    3. Good lively area, with all the usual amenities!

Any advice would be very welcome!

Cheers

Given your criteria, I would say Grand Canal Dock itself or possibly look for something on Haddington Road.

Sandymount would be another good option, more of a village feel (good bars & restaurants), near dublin bay and good Dart connection into GCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 the dufi

Cheers for the bit of advice I am Pie

If I were to choose Ranelagh, Sandymount or GCD, would I feel like I'm living in the city or are they very much Suburbia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Haddington Road?! If you're made of money maybe. GCD is nearly city centre, Sandymount and Ranelagh have a... not quite city but not quite suburbia feel to them. They're the ideal types of places to live in Dublin, in my opinion. I'd find the city centre too noisy etc but suburbs too far from town. Sandymount is gorgeous. Ringsend and Irishtown nearby aren't as pretty but still nice areas - they are walking distance from the city centre. I lived in Ringsend. I also like Phibsborough, "lower" Glasnevin (the more northern part of Glasnevin is more suburban) and Drumcondra on the northside - I lived in Phibsborough. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Oliver Bond has some nice apartments overlooking the river. And it's lively

There is a block inexpensive apartments at the top of haddington road, facing the 51. Regularly on daft.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭Belly_Dancer

My only advice is

DON'T DO IT!

Dublin is a total sh1thole!

See today's Indo if you don't believe me.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/drugs-drink-and-the-stench-of-urine-are-alive-alive-oh-2641812.html

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Philsopher

I am pie wrote: »
    There is a block inexpensive apartments at the top of haddington road, facing the 51. Regularly on daft.

You don't happen to know the name of that place, do you? I'm looking for a place in town at the minute so might give that a try...

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭emilyjmc

If you are looking to be near the city centre and the water (canal) then I'd suggest around Portobello and Charlemont Street areas - I've lived here for the last two years and it's a great spot. In a fairly safe part of town, ten minutes walk to Grafton Street and close to Wexford street where there are loads of good bars :D Charlemont Luas stop is only minutes walk away also.

Thanks for all the advice folks, you've bin great... Bin "squating" up here for a week now and to be honest I've loved it so far! OK the queens visit has made it a bit hectic but hey what ya goin to do!

Anyway, got much more of a sense of where to look now, and some of the places mentioned are definitely on the list. If anyone has any other thoughts, I would love to hear them!

Thanks again boardies!

Watch out for angry belly dancers...and don't read the Indo !

hope you get something you're happy with !

• Advertisement

Back again folks!

Has anyone here lived or know of someone who has lived in and around Mayors Square in the IFSC? I have a few viewings there over the next week and it seems to be a well serviced and buzzing area, but I just want to see has anyone insider information!?

One of the viewings is the Clarion Qauy block, and I would love to get it, but I get the impression it might be a bit of a lottery! Does anyone know who the main letting agents are for these units? Do they come on the market very often?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Banned.

My only advice is

DON'T DO IT!

See today's Indo if you don't believe me.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/drugs-drink-and-the-stench-of-urine-are-alive-alive-oh-2641812.html

Couldn't disagree more, from a "Culdub", who moved in from outside The Pale, I have found Dublin to be a wonderful city so far with so many things to do, good transport, clean streets and nice people! I know others living here my have a different view, but I am saying this from a perspective relative to other another city in the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Back again folks!

Has anyone here lived or know of someone who has lived in and around Mayors Square in the IFSC? I have a few viewings there over the next week and it seems to be a well serviced and buzzing area, but I just want to see has anyone insider information!?

One of the viewings is the Clarion Qauy block, and I would love to get it, but I get the impression it might be a bit of a lottery! Does anyone know who the main letting agents are for these units? Do they come on the market very often?

The IFSC is nice and quiet on the weekends. I've seen the Clarion Quay apts and they are very nice, perfect space for 2 people.

Got a lot of shops in the IFSC (Spar, Mace, M&S, several coffee shops, Milanos, Kudos etc) and a few bars, I dare say if you were planning a quiet weekend you wouldn't need to move from the IFSC if that was your wont!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Ranelagh, Rathmines, Rathgar, Sandymount and Portobello might be your best bet for digs.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Back again folks!

I live very close by, decent area, can be quiet at weekends, some of the pubs don't open Saturday or Sunday! Decent range of convenience stores and maybe Dunnes will open in The Point Village soon!!!

Advertisement