Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GPS watches - any waterproof?

• 05-05-2011 2:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm toying with the idea of getting a GPS watch, but I would only really be interested if I could get a waterproof one. When looking at the different models and different water resistance ratings, it become pretty obvious that there are differing standards (or maybe different ways of interpreting those standards). For example, the Nike+ GPS Sportswatch is water resistant to 5 ATM. According to different sites, 5 ATM water resistance means you can go to a depth of 50 metres, while others sites say that it's actually only splashproof and should not be worn while swimming.

Has anyone actually got a GPS watch that they are condifent enough to wear while swimming? (I mean just normal sun holiday swimming in a pool or sea)

Thanks
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

The Gamin 310xt is aimed at triathletes so is water proof as is the Timex Ironman. I've a Garmin 405 that I wouldn't wear in the shower, never mind swimming. I do know plenty of people who swim with their 405s so if it's just for casual messing about in a pool, rather than deep sea diving, I'm sure you might get away with a 405 rather than the 310xt which is much more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭sherdo2010

can u swim 405's. never thought you could? are these guys using them in pools or open water?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

re: the 405

I think they say "dont use this in water" on official papers - but as previous poster said, I know folks who have used it in the water and its just fine..

But for a 300 quid watch which I rely on to tell me Im going to fast, I'm not going to test it out, thanks :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The 405 is waterproof as far as splashes are concerned and that will not damage it. The moment it comes into contact with a bit of moisture though it becomes unusable except for the start and stop button until you have dried it out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Nwm2

Hi,

I'm toying with the idea of getting a GPS watch, but I would only really be interested if I could get a waterproof one. When looking at the different models and different water resistance ratings, it become pretty obvious that there are differing standards (or maybe different ways of interpreting those standards). For example, the Nike+ GPS Sportswatch is water resistant to 5 ATM. According to different sites, 5 ATM water resistance means you can go to a depth of 50 metres, while others sites say that it's actually only splashproof and should not be worn while swimming.

Has anyone actually got a GPS watch that they are condifent enough to wear while swimming? (I mean just normal sun holiday swimming in a pool or sea)

Thanks
    Paul

Garmin 310xt.

Note that the GPS watches lose their signal once the water depth is a few cm, so don't think you'll get great data swimming. People recommend putting the watch in your swim cap to get decent data.

For triathlons i don't wear the 310xt on my wrist during the swim (too big), I use the quick release kit to pop it on in transition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

What do you want the watch for?

I may be wrong on this, but most gsp enabled watches are pretty large (ive a 310xt). Much too big to swim with (I leave it on the bike and run with it in my hand), and far too ugly to be used as a regular watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Shoulda said...
    I am looking specifically for a watch that I can track running with. No requirement to track swimming or cycling. Would like something watchlike, so a 310 would by out, but would consider a 405 (or 610). I normally wear an analogue watch, but I like digital...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

If you want a watch that can cope with wet conditions do not get a 405.
    I had to return my first one when it started to go nuts in some light drizzle. In fairness to garmin they exchanged it straight away without any hassle.
    The replacement is now doing the same thing.
    If you only run in dry weather and you don't sweat then the 405 is fantastic otherwise get something else.

Git101 wrote: »
    I had to return my first one when it started to go nuts in some light drizzle. In fairness to garmin they exchanged it straight away without any hassle.
    If you only run in dry weather and you don't sweat then the 405 is fantastic otherwise get something else.

It sounds like it's just the job :D

I just ordered the Nike watch from www.wiggle.co.uk...just waiting on the postman now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭plodder

Git101 wrote: »
    That sounds like bad luck as they are supposed to be fairly splash/rain-proof. I've never had a problem with my 405 in the rain and I'd always give it a good rinse after every run. Though, you can forget about operating the bezel in the rain (or even with sweaty fingers), and you probably need to lock it, to stop it from acting up. But, I never need to use the bezel when running anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It sounds like it's just the job :D

I just ordered the Nike watch from www.wiggle.co.uk...just waiting on the postman now
    The bezel does go nuts when it gets wet. Bad design. It's basically like repeatedly hitting the bezel to select different options. As soon as it dries out it's fine again though. I always lock the bezel to prevent this from happening.

Was yours doing something different git101?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

I use my 405 when doing triathalons and never had a problem (3 yrs). I don't wear it when swim training. I do make sure the watch is completely dry before recharging.

I ended up ordering on Wiggle as they claimed to have stock. Turns out that they didn't, and won't until 'some time in June', so I cancelled the order. Ended up getting an FR205 on Amazon for around 100 quid. It's not waterproof, but I guess that's OK, as it doesn' tlook the kind of thing one would wear in 'normal' situations :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I ended up ordering on Wiggle as they claimed to have stock. Turns out that they didn't, and won't until 'some time in June', so I cancelled the order. Ended up getting an FR205 on Amazon for around 100 quid. It's not waterproof, but I guess that's OK, as it doesn' tlook the kind of thing one would wear in 'normal' situations :D
    For a few extra quid, you could get the 305, which comes with a heart rate monitor, and is compatible with Ant+ accessories (foot-pod, cadence sensor etc). I think they're all water-proof to IPX7, which equates to 1m of water for 15 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

For a few extra quid, you could get the 305, which comes with a heart rate monitor, and is compatible with Ant+ accessories (foot-pod, cadence sensor etc). I think they're all water-proof to IPX7, which equates to 1m of water for 30 minutes.

Just a little edit.

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes.[/FONT][/SIZE]

As one tech rep pointed out to me unless you're 8' tall your watch will never go more than 1m deep when swimming and 30 mins immersion is an hour swim as one arm is out of the water half the time.

I still wouldn't risk it with my 305.

Just a little edit.

[SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]An IPX7 designation means the GPS case can withstand accidental immersion in one meter of water for up to 30 minutes.[/FONT][/SIZE]

As one tech rep pointed out to me unless you're 8' tall your watch will never go more than 1m deep when swimming and 30 mins immersion is an hour swim as one arm is out of the water half the time.

I still wouldn't risk it with my 305.

unless you're doing breaststroke :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DClogher

hi,
    Does anyone know where I could get the Nike+ sportswatch in ireland?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

The bezel does go nuts when it gets wet. Bad design. It's basically like repeatedly hitting the bezel to select different options. As soon as it dries out it's fine again though. I always lock the bezel to prevent this from happening.

Was yours doing something different git101?

No, that's what it's doing.
    Locking the bezel stops it going nuts, when I remember to do it in time.
    The really annoying thing for me is that once the bezel is locked I can't use the training partner function.

Advertisement