Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glencoaghan Horseshoe?

Options
  • 05-05-2011 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I am currently training to climb Kilimanjaro soon and am looking for info on long testing walks in and around the Twelve Bens,

Is there anywhere I can download or access route maps for the Glencoaghan Horseshoe? not really in to o.s. co-ordinates & gps etc so just a simple map and directions would be ideal.

Any other routes or suggestions would be great, Galway, Mayo, Clare area looking for up to around 8hrs walking.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

OSI Discovery Series Sheet 37 is what you need, though the southern edge of the route isn't actually on it - It's on Sheet 44. You could also use the Harvey's Superwalker map of Connemara instead.

Anyway, the Glencoaghan horseshoe is a circuit around Benlettery, Glengower, Benbreen (691m), Maumina (563m), Bencollaghduff (696m), Bencorr (711m) and Derryclare... quite a day out...

Alternatively, if you have two cars, you could open out the horseshoe by coming up the western side of Benglenisky (516m) and go from there to Glengower (thereby skipping Benlettery) and then descend eastwards from Derryclare down into Derryclare wood - that might leave you with less low-level walking to close the horseshoe from Derryclare back to your start point...

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Horseshoe is a good challenge. The Mamturks walk is also very close to the Twelve Bens (the two ranges are opposite each other) and would be even harder. It starts from near Maam Cross and finishes in Leenane. You can get info re both online.

Try mountainviews.ie also. Or get a copy of Joss Lynham's Best Irish Walks, features both walks with maps.

I can also vouch for Connemara Superwalker Map.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭acorn

I am currently training to climb Kilimanjaro soon and am looking for info on long testing walks in and around the Twelve Bens,

Is there anywhere I can download or access route maps for the Glencoaghan Horseshoe? not really in to o.s. co-ordinates & gps etc so just a simple map and directions would be ideal.

Any other routes or suggestions would be great, Galway, Mayo, Clare area looking for up to around 8hrs walking.

Thanks

You should be aware that clear visibility is not guaranteed on the Maamturks or Bens at anytime of the year so someone in your party would need navigation skills, don't be fooled by the humble height of our native mountains, when the mist comes down it's very easy to get disorientated and accidents do happen. Be careful out there and good luck with Kili.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

acorn wrote: »
    You should be aware that clear visibility is not guaranteed on the Maamturks or Bens at anytime of the year so someone in your party would need navigation skills, don't be fooled by the humble height of our native mountains, when the mist comes down it's very easy to get disorientated and accidents do happen. Be careful out there and good luck with Kili.

Got to agree with this from a safety point of view, I can see them from where I live and they're in cloud a lot of the time. Done it last year, up Derryclare, down Ben Lettery, took us a fair while as we had a couple of slow members along too, not that I am any speedy Gonzalez myself :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055931384&highlight=derryclare

if you don't know how to use a map and compass well, don't do this walk.
    tricky navigation in bad weather, lots of steep bits to fall off, not many escape routes if things turn bad.

• Advertisement

P.S.

If you want to get out for a workout there's a great trail in the Burren starting at Fanore beach carpark.

It's 26km with 480m of ascent and takes about 6 hours. Ideal for those blustery days when you don't want to go too high.

www.shannonregiontrails.ie/FindaTrail/Walking/LoopWalks/TrailName,8611,en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭tightropetom

Best map would be the Harvey's Map of Connemara (1:25,000) or OS Map 37 (missing the start of the horsehoe) as mentioned. You mention you aren't interested in co-ordinates/GPS etc, I hope you can map read (sorry if that seems condescending - it's not the intention) because you can very easily get lost on this route if the clouds close in. The Bens and the Maamturks are magnets for thick grey cloud! :-)

It's a superb walk, well worth the effort.

A variation you could consider would be the Northern Bens but you would need a car at either end - start at Derryclare and continue all the way to Letterfrack. Long day out, but superb.

Maumean (Maamturks) to Corcog is also very rewarding, especially if there is clear weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Daithi2004

if you don't know how to use a map and compass well, don't do this walk.
    tricky navigation in bad weather, lots of steep bits to fall off, not many escape routes if things turn bad.

I agree with Dursey. It is important that if you are tackling any mountains in Ireland, you should have map & compass skills. Please don't be foolish and wasting the Mountain Rescue Teams time as they are volenteers. Also be sure you are wearing the right gear. Proper boots, not runner. Tracksuit Bottoms or old army type trousers but definitely not jeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 yellowmonkey

acorn wrote: »
    P.S.

If you want to get out for a workout there's a great trail in the Burren starting at Fanore beach carpark.

It's 26km with 480m of ascent and takes about 6 hours. Ideal for those blustery days when you don't want to go too high.

www.shannonregiontrails.ie/FindaTrail/Walking/LoopWalks/TrailName,8611,en.html

Done this a couple of weeks ago and it really is a great trail
    Do you know anymore like this? More than anything now it's getting the hours clocked and the boots broken in...
    Heading to Killarney this weekend too, really enjoying seeing parts of the country that I haven't before and loving the walks

Most of the trails I'm familiar with are too short and "easy" for your purpose - the Burren one is a cracker though.

The Keeper Hill and Ballyhourigan trek is a useful workout - about 3.5hrs

http://www.shannonregiontrails.ie/FindaTrail/Walking/LoopWalks/TrailName,8014,en.html

Another option is to do a stretch of some of the way marked trails. Pick the hilliest sections. To do this you will need a car at each end or check if there any public transport you can use.

http://www.walkireland.ie

Of course the best way to get out on the hills is with a club. You'll find one in your area at http://www.mountaineering.ie/nearestclub/index.asp

• Advertisement
Advertisement