Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roger Daltry performing 'Tommy', @thePark, July 26

Options
  • 05-05-2011 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, just heard on Radio Nova that theres a big "Nova" like band being announced at 8am tomorrow for a summer gig,

Anyone have any ideas who it'll be?

AC/DC
    Metallica
    Elton John
    Beyoncé

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,435 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I hope its not Metallica because i cant afford to go see them this year lol.

It could be Judas Priest,Megadeth

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

My money be on Judas Priest in Marlay

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

I'm thinking it could possibly be Priest, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Metallica or Megadeth.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I no i might get shot for this but could it be 30 Seconds to Mars??

I know it would be as big as previous posters ideas but they have announced a Belfast show in August

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Dont think 30 seconds to mars would be played on nova much, more of old skool rock

JP would be epic though in the summer :D

• Advertisement

Also maybe the big 4? They're playing Sonisphere. Possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Judas priest and queensrhyce @ the park would be my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I don't listen to the radio so I have no idea if this makes Priest a possibility, but it would be awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

While I'd like Priest and Ryche to be announced , I can't see it selling Marlay Park ? ....the Priest / Megadeth / Testament triple bill didn't sell out the O2

have the radio on now in work, shall update when i know

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

RayCon wrote: »
    While I'd like Priest and Ryche to be announced , I can't see it selling Marlay Park ? ....the Priest / Megadeth / Testament triple bill didn't sell out the O2

i think he meant in the tent in Marley Park

Roger Daltry to Perform Tommy in Marlay park this July

allanb49 wrote: »
    Roger Daltry to Perform Tommy in Marlay park this July

I love The Who and I love the Tommy album .... so why am I not in anyway excited by this ... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Marley park has a 5k capacity this summer I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I love The Who and I love the Tommy album .... so why am I not in anyway excited by this ... :confused:

+1

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Awh. :(

/thread title changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

CiaranK wrote: »
    Also maybe the big 4? They're playing Sonisphere. Possible.

Not a ****ing chance. If they haven't announced a Sonisphere Ireland gig by now, it won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

+1

'Cos it's yet another old fart living on his past.

It's not so much that he's an "old fart living on his past", but - no disrespect to Roger - it's hardly going to be the same without Pete (cynics would say it's hardly the same without John and Keith either, but they probably didn't see The 'Oo at Oxegen, so let's be reasonable).
    My main grievance is that it's a terrible location. The UK dates are all in decent venues like the Clyde Auditorium in Glasgow, and the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester, but in typical fashion, we get him in a big top in a field.

Or rather, "under the dark atmospheric canvas of an intimate capacity tent" with the "picturesque backdrop of the Dublin Mountains", if the promoter's propaganda is to be believed.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

- it's hardly going to be the same without Pete

Yeah that's probably it .... the last time in Marlay Park and the year at Oxegen were both great gigs but I'll definately be giving this a miss ...

... hearing Tommy in it's entirety isn't enough of a draw for me , especially without Pete.

• Advertisement

Daltrey preforming Tommy!!!! For me this is the best the announcement could have been. I was contemplating going to England to see it. I can't wait for it!! I was hoping for this announcement when he announced the UK Tour. I seen the Who in Marley in '07. That was unreal! Brilliant!!! :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gourdo

I'll be visiting from states and was thinking about taking my 2 kids to see Daltrey july 26. I can't figure out if it's a 20K + venue or a smaller
    "tent"? Will the reserved seats be close enough to stage or way out there?
    I want them to be able to see so would prefer "reserved" if it was close enough. Also, can "reserved" ticketholders venture down to front "standing room" area? thanks, M

gourdo wrote: »
    I'll be visiting from states and was thinking about taking my 2 kids to see Daltrey july 26. I can't figure out if it's a 20K + venue or a smaller
    "tent"? Will the reserved seats be close enough to stage or way out there?
    I want them to be able to see so would prefer "reserved" if it was close enough. Also, can "reserved" ticketholders venture down to front "standing room" area? thanks, M

I believe the tent holds about 5'000 with tiered seating at the back. Hope that helps. Not sure about the Reserved Tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gourdo

thanks for reply. I believe what i called reserved are what you call "tiered". the ticket website shows 3 "blocks" of seating in back of "standing room" area.
    So w/ 5000 only, i would think that all the tickets offer a decent view?

gourdo wrote: »
    thanks for reply. I believe what i called reserved are what you call "tiered". the ticket website shows 3 "blocks" of seating in back of "standing room" area.
    So w/ 5000 only, i would think that all the tickets offer a decent view?

Hi, sounds like a similar set up to the Marquee gigs they hold in Cork every summer ... I saw Roger Waters there in 2005. I had seated tickets but didn't like their location (side view - slightly obstructed by the rig) so I just went down to the standing area instead - no problems. Maybe the Tent set up at Marlay Park will be the same.

From an article in The Sunday Times on "ageing stars" playing Ireland this summer:

And when a comparatively youthful 67-year-old Roger Daltrey screeches the Mose Allison penned Young Man's Blues in Dublin's Marlay Park on July 26, as part of a performance of songs from the Who's "rock opera", Tommy (1969), you have to wonder whether he will register the irony in the famous lyric: "You know nowadays/Well it's the old man's got all the money."

Yeah... the problem is Young Man Blues isn't part of Tommy. The writer is clearly mixing it up with Eyesight to the Blind, a song popularised by Mose Allison, which is part of the rock opera.
    Of course, that song doesn't provide him with any way to get a dig at Daltrey about the "old man having all the money", but never let the facts get in the way of a snide comment. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

It's not so much that he's an "old fart living on his past", but - no disrespect to Roger - it's hardly going to be the same without Pete (cynics would say it's hardly the same without John and Keith either, but they probably didn't see The 'Oo at Oxegen, so let's be reasonable).
    My main grievance is that it's a terrible location. The UK dates are all in decent venues like the Clyde Auditorium in Glasgow, and the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester, but in typical fashion, we get him in a big top in a field.

Or rather, "under the dark atmospheric canvas of an intimate capacity tent" with the "picturesque backdrop of the Dublin Mountains", if the promoter's propaganda is to be believed.

I'm headin to this tomorrow night in the IndigO2. Will post a review on Monday in advance of Tuesday's Marlay gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Having just come in from this at the IndigO2 in London, for what it's worth, here's my 2p.

Like a couple of other posters, when this was announced it sounded a bit miserable at best - and desperate at worst. Speaking for myself, having been at the gig tonight - f*ckin hell, was I wrong! This was one of the best gigs I've ever been at, even surpassing the two occasions I've seen The Who themselves (the remaining 50%). Although smaller in scale and scope, it was up there on a par with AC/DC at Punchestown in terms of performance.

After a cheeky and deceptively pedestrian start ("Pictures of Lily", "Give Me A Stone" and "Freedom Ride") Daltrey and his magnificent seven piece band - including Pete's brother Simon and musical director/Jack White lookalike Frank Simes - take a 30 second pause, and then proceed to blister their way through "Tommy" and some of The Who's greatest hits for the next two and a half hours.

Daltrey interacts with the crowd as if they are friends - and wisely, knowing he'll be judged out there on his tod, he's rebooted The Who as a concept, by using new young blood on a grander scale. It doesn't sound on paper like it should work - it sounds like sacrilege - but on the stage, it really does.

His voice grew in strength as the night went on and the energy built - I go to a lot of gigs but there was a passion in that room tonight beyond my expectations which really surprised me. I actually spent a lot of the gig in involuntary tears hearing such amazing musical virtuosity from a new crew playing another era's music, running an acoustic steamroller over the turgid electro pop that daily drones in our ears.

It grew out of a one off concert for charity earlier this year, and I'm not surprised given the response from the crowd tonight that Roger took it to the road. This was Daltrey's gig, doing things his way, and having initial reservations, I was completely wrong; it was brilliant.

To anyone going on Tuesday I'm jealous. Hopefully the acoustics will hold up in Marlay. Thank you Roger and your band for an unforgettable night. :)

• Advertisement

Having just come in from this at the IndigO2 in London, for what it's worth, here's my 2p.

Like a couple of other posters, when this was announced it sounded a bit miserable at best - and desperate at worst. Speaking for myself, having been at the gig tonight - f*ckin hell, was I wrong! This was one of the best gigs I've ever been at, even surpassing the two occasions I've seen The Who themselves (the remaining 50%). Although smaller in scale and scope, it was up there on a par with AC/DC at Punchestown in terms of performance.

After a cheeky and deceptively pedestrian start ("Pictures of Lily", "Give Me A Stone" and "Freedom Ride") Daltrey and his magnificent seven piece band - including Pete's brother Simon and musical director/Jack White lookalike Frank Simes - take a 30 second pause, and then proceed to blister their way through "Tommy" and some of The Who's greatest hits for the next two and a half hours.

Daltrey interacts with the crowd as if they are friends - and wisely, knowing he'll be judged out there on his tod, he's rebooted The Who as a concept, by using new young blood on a grander scale. It doesn't sound on paper like it should work - it sounds like sacrilege - but on the stage, it really does.

His voice grew in strength as the night went on and the energy built - I go to a lot of gigs but there was a passion in that room tonight beyond my expectations which really surprised me. I actually spent a lot of the gig in involuntary tears hearing such amazing musical virtuosity from a new crew playing another era's music, running an acoustic steamroller over the turgid electro pop that daily drones in our ears.

It grew out of a one off concert for charity earlier this year, and I'm not surprised given the response from the crowd tonight that Roger took it to the road. This was Daltrey's gig, doing things his way, and having initial reservations, I was completely wrong; it was brilliant.

To anyone going on Tuesday I'm jealous. Hopefully the acoustics will hold up in Marlay. Thank you Roger and your band for an unforgettable night. :)

Great review! I was worried about his voice not holding up but listening to the previous gigs on the download from the Who's site, and this review, I have nothing to worry about. :)

Advertisement