Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Scoreboard App

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Downloaded it and love it so far.

A few more suggestions:

Would it be possible to save a few regular team names at the bottom of the screen as you may mostly follow a particular team or county?

Also, I think a 'half' flag would be handy, with possibly three options 'First', 'Second' and 'Extra', which could be added to tweets.

EDIT: As the only common hardware button on Android phones is the volume keys, would it be possible to use these to change the scores without unlocking the phone?

Maybe Vol Up is the home team [top name] and Vol Down the away [bottom name]. Then a long press is a goal and short press is a point. Use vibrate to confirm each input [i.e. long vibrate for goal, short vibrate for point.]

Finally, [sorry about this] but maybe include a notification bar update with the scores as soon as you unlock then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

foto joe wrote: »
    If anyone can send me screenshots from different devices that'd be great, although I know you need to be either setup with the sdk or have rooted your device for that (don't get why it's not made simple).

Galaxy S can screen grab, unrooted.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

This is so class. Just did a little test and its fantastic. This is the output on twitter:

Current score at the match: Team A 1-2 v Team B 0-0. #gaa

Can I recommend the following:

<HALF> <TIME>: <Team A> <SCORE> V <Team B> <SCORE>. <HASHTAGS>

Make the hash tags customizable.

On the app itself, can you provide an option to automatically tweet the score, if the score is updated.

Don't forget to find some space to put advertising!!!

Finally, can you intoduce goal line technology and just have everything done automatically!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Otacon wrote: »
    Downloaded it and love it so far.

A few more suggestions:

Would it be possible to save a few regular team names at the bottom of the screen as you may mostly follow a particular team or county?

Also, I think a 'half' flag would be handy, with possibly three options 'First', 'Second' and 'Extra', which could be added to tweets.

EDIT: As the only common hardware button on Android phones is the volume keys, would it be possible to use these to change the scores without unlocking the phone?

Maybe Vol Up is the home team [top name] and Vol Down the away [bottom name]. Then a long press is a goal and short press is a point. Use vibrate to confirm each input [i.e. long vibrate for goal, short vibrate for point.]

Finally, [sorry about this] but maybe include a notification bar update with the scores as soon as you unlock then.

Having a few recent teams is a good idea, I'll look at that.

I've developed this with Google's App Inventor so don't have access to those extra buttons. It's still got room to grow within the app inventor limits so don't think I'll be redeveloping it in the sdk soon, although maybe on a rainy day!
    Colm R wrote: »
    This is so class. Just did a little test and its fantastic. This is the output on twitter:

Current score at the match: Team A 1-2 v Team B 0-0. #gaa

Can I recommend the following:

<HALF> <TIME>: <Team A> <SCORE> V <Team B> <SCORE>. <HASHTAGS>

Make the hash tags customizable.

On the app itself, can you provide an option to automatically tweet the score, if the score is updated.

Don't forget to find some space to put advertising!!!

Finally, can you intoduce goal line technology and just have everything done automatically!!!

The Twitter updates will be different on the next release. I'll not be putting advertising within the app, I hate that as a user so won't inflict it on others. I may instead hold some of the more customisible features for a premium edition.
    JustinOval wrote: »
    Galaxy S can screen grab, unrooted.

Great, would like to see some shots from that! Pity it's not a standard Android feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭shmeee

Great, would like to see some shots from that! Pity it's not a standard Android feature.

Here's a screenshot from my Samsung Galaxy S running 2.2.1...

screenshotab.png

• Advertisement

Update not ready yet, making a lot of changes.

I mentioned match statistics, haven't seen matches represented like this but what do you make of this as a graphical way to show the balance over the game?

match_stats.jpg

Forgot to label the axes but it's Points Vs Time so you can see who too the lead when.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Hey,

Following a suggestion over on this thread I put together a GAA Scoreboard App. It should be useful for the smaller matches where there's no scoreboard on the pitch.

I haven't put it up on the Market yet until I test it more so it'll require you allow apps from unknown sources when installing.

Scan to download;

Feedback and comments welcome! Haven't seen it running on anything different to HTC Desire so would like to see how it fits on the likes of a Wildfire or similar screen.

Joe

Hey, that was my idea on the original thread!
    Excellent that its working, the amount of times I searched for a pen and a crumpled up piece of paper to keep scores (or worse again kept them in my head only to be wondering with 5 minutes to go was it a draw or were we ahead by a point)!
    Great stuff, will try it out as soon as I'm home...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Can you check the download page again?
    When I scan it using the phone I just get a page of garble and when I download via PC I get a Zip file with no APK file inside (just other files and folders).
    Maybe something went wrong when you upgraded it?
    Looking forward to using it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

this is a great idea

now to develop it further...

an App that record (in each half) wides, clean possessions (catches from puck outs), frees given away, frees scored, hooks, blocks, ground pulls

most teams (clubs included) now have someone taking vital stats for use at half time or for planning future training sessions

No need to download via QR code now... it's up on the Market! :)

Important: Uninstall the current non-market version first or the installation will probably fail. The market version is free and has more features.

You can see and download to phone here or search for GAA on your mobile's Market app.

This release should be much more robust.

gaaa_teams_1.pnghomescreen_1.pnggaa_twitter_1.png

Updates

1. The match timer is improved.
    - Which half it's in and minutes remaining now displayed.
    - Clock goes red when it's in stoppage time.
    -Timer button now toggles between "Start 1st Half" -> "Half-time" -> "Full-time" -> "Reset Clock" and the clock is paused or reset on the correct time where appropriate.

2. You can select the duration of a half (20, 25, 30 or 35 minutes) to match the level of game you're at.

3. The twitter updater now gives a display of the tweet as it sends. The automated twitter messages are now much more developed and are constructed depending on the match time and status. Here's some examples;
    Before match: "Awaiting throw in at the match (St Eunans v Glenswilly). Stay tuned for updates! #gaa"
    1st Half: "Current score at the match (1st Half, 5min): St Eunans 0-5 v Glenswilly 1-2. #gaa"
    1st Half: "Half-time score: St Eunans 1-14 v Glenswilly 2-8. #gaa"
    2nd Half: "Current score at the match (2nd Half, 56min): St Eunans 1-18 v Glenswilly 2-15. #gaa"
    Full-time: Full-time score: St Eunans 2-21 v Glenswilly 3-19. #gaa

4. The team selection now appears first (help avoid multiple tweets going out as "Team A V Team B".

5. App name appears better with space in the name (previously restricted on app inventor).

6. Higher quality app icon.

7. Title bar removed - I think it's currently sitting too high on the screen now though so will add some padding to the top on the next upgrade, or center the contents vertically.

Some Planned Updates
    • Have a list of times per score.
    • Some match statistics incl graph above.
    • Custom edit of tweet before sending.
    • Improve position on the screen.
    I've more exams this coming week so will not be doing any add-feature updates until next weekend at the earliest.

So please download it, review it and rate it (highly ;)) on the Market!

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

well done Joe, excellent app

If anyone's going to a match this weekend, give it a try and let me know how it goes! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

Screenshot from fulltime Meath-Dublin ladies final.
    fdugj4.png

And of the following tweet page.

2l9hcbd.png

could you enter the number of the player who scored??
    then you could have a running commentary on a website

as in: post up the teams and players' numbers
    then 25 mins: point for Dublin #14

I still think a combined stats App would have much wider use within the GAA and would be downloaded more.
    Regards

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    could you enter the number of the player who scored??
    then you could have a running commentary on a website

as in: post up the teams and players' numbers
    then 25 mins: point for Dublin #14
    Sounds like too much work for the average user...?
    nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I still think a combined stats App would have much wider use within the GAA and would be downloaded more.
    Regards

There'll be full stats option in a future release (which can be turned on/off), let me know what you'd want to keep track of for each team.

Looking at other tweets and think I'll add match location to the next version.

Tweet: "Half-time in Ballyhaunis: Ros 1-4 v Mayo 0-7"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Cant find it when type it in to the market place. Can it only be got through previous link?

If you search "GAA" it should come up as the third listing.

Or visit the market webpage and install, it'll start the download on your mobile.

Let me know how you get on...

Cant see it on market, finally got somewhere on webpage but wont finally install as says its not compatible on my device.

If it's not compatible that'll explain why it doesn't come up on searches. It should work on Android 1.5 or above.

What phone are you using? And which android version? (Settings > About Phone > Software Information)

• Advertisement

If ya mean firmware it says version 2.1 update 1. Ive wanted to update for ages.

It should work fine with Android 2.1 . What phone model is it? Did the market website say in any more detail why it wasn't compatible?

Galaxy europa. No detail at all, just said not compatible.

Hmn I'm not sure why it's not compatible so. A friend of mine has a Europa too so I'll see if he can install it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

Just to mention, I'm running stock 2.1 on an LG gt540 and have no so far.

The next addition/update I would like to see would be score times.
    <teamA>-point (6)
    <teamB>-Goal (29)
    <teamB>-Point(50)

No need to worry about names or shirt numbers......yet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭mossie

Looking at other tweets and think I'll add match location to the next version.

Tweet: "Half-time in Ballyhaunis: Ros 1-4 v Mayo 0-7"
    How about an option to enter the Competition? for example "Cork SHC" or "Cork JBHC"

Sounds like too much work for the average user...?

There'll be full stats option in a future release (which can be turned on/off), let me know what you'd want to keep track of for each team.

Well it would vary for hurling/football

In hurling:
    wides from play
    wide from frees
    shots caught by goalie
    fouls in own half
    scores from frees
    own puck outs won
    own puck outs lost
    attacks into opposition half
    blocks
    hooks

Football:
    wides from play
    wides from frees
    shots caught by goalie
    fouls in own half
    scores from frees
    own kick outs won
    own kick outs lost
    blocks
    turnovers
    attacks

Thanks nice_guy80. That's a lot of buttons! :p I'll see what I'll do with it after the next major update which will be including;
    • Times for scores.
    • Custom edit tweet.
    • Few basic score/time stats.
    • Custom Location and/or competition.
    mossie wrote: »
    How about an option to enter the Competition? for example "Cork SHC" or "Cork JBHC"

Thanks mossie, I'll probably add this. Not sure yet whether to include both competition and location. I'll see what space there is left within tweet character limits.

There'll be no real updates for the next week however, too busy in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭shmeee

Thanks nice_guy80. That's a lot of buttons! :p I'll see what I'll do with it after the next major update which will be including;
    • Times for scores.
    • Custom edit tweet.
    • Few basic score/time stats.
    • Custom Location and/or competition.

Thanks mossie, I'll probably add this. Not sure yet whether to include both competition and location. I'll see what space there is left within tweet character limits.

There'll be no real updates for the next week however, too busy in college.

I used the App today at the Tipperary minor match and it was brilliant, so easy to update to twitter...

here's how the updates turned out on twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/LivescoresPV

I wouldn't go adding to much detail to the App itself, at least not on a basic version anyway... It would be too much effort to keep track of it all as well as watch the match, at present, it's only a matter of pressing a button which I like...

Great app and worked a treat today... I will be using it again I can ensure you..

Ps. the main updates that I would recommend on the next version would be a location and edit tweet function... You don't want to over complicate things too much...

• Advertisement

Thanks shmeee! Very rewarding to see it in use! :) Spotted a couple of other users on twitter today too!

Can you please rate it and review on the Android Market! ;)

Someone have it a 1/5 without saying why, so that dragged down the average rating for a while.

Advertisement