Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Scoreboard App

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Well I havent seen the App in use yet, but obviously it sounds like Joe has done an excellent job on it. I already put a link on my facebook page about it and I think the rest of us here should do the same on both facebook and twitter. Thats the least the man deserves, to get the word out, after doing such a tremendous job on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

closeline wrote: »
    Well I havent seen the App in use yet, but obviously it sounds like Joe has done an excellent job on it. I already put a link on my facebook page about it and I think the rest of us here should do the same on both facebook and twitter. Thats the least the man deserves, to get the word out, after doing such a tremendous job on this.

Done.

Joe, why don't you set up a facebook page so we can all start liking it, and push it more. Once ex-pats around the world start to hear about it, they will start pushing people back home to get in on the act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

2BT wrote: »
    I was just wondering if there will be an iphone version of the App at any stage?

I don't currently have any plans to develop an iPhone version as I don't have a mac so can't run apple's development software (:mad:), I also don't have the fee to register as a developer to submit an app to them. Yeap you need to pay to contribute to their app collection. [edit: had to pay on android too but it's much less]

Later next week, when I'm free from college, I might have a go at installing Mac OS X on my PC (virtual machine) and see if the dev software will load.

Don't expect I'll be releasing any iPhone app in at least the next month anyway.

2BT wrote: »
    This app could prove very helpful and might encourage people to cover games for us who use apps but might not be all that familiar with Twitter and how it works. In just 48hrs I already have over 250 people following the results accounts and after tomorrow nights games and some plugs (Retweets) from Dublin Inter County lads I know, I expect that to grow and grow this week. I would be quite happy to promote the app both before and after games on the Updates page if there were an iphone version i.e todays score updates were provided to you using GAA Scoreboard App etc..........

Hey 2BT - this app could make your job very handy. You just need one person at each match to have the app running and have them all logged on to the relevant twitter page.

Why would you only promote an iphone version though? I'd say there's most likely more android devices at your match now than iPhones.
    patmac wrote: »
    Hi Joe,
    Will I mention this on the Hogan Stand?
    Pat

Yes please spread the word wherever possible! :-)
    Mushy wrote: »
    Got it working now thanks very much. Will rate it now.

Great! I hope I can hold support for your device but >80% of devices with the app installed have ~480px X 800px resolution so if catering for a few devices restricts what I can/fit do on the screen then I may not support low resolution screens on future updates. We'll see how it goes...

Colm R wrote: »
    Done.

Joe, why don't you set up a facebook page so we can all start liking it, and push it more. Once ex-pats around the world start to hear about it, they will start pushing people back home to get in on the act.

Thanks guys - I've put together a quick Facebook page you can start Liking! :-)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/GAA-Scoreboard-Android-App/201085109928827

I've submitted it to the new Amazon appstore too, I suspect a lot of Americans will use that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭2BT

Cheers for the reply Joe. Disappointed to hear that its unlikely that there will be an iphone version, would prove to be very handy.

The reason I wont spread the word for the Android version is because I can't use it and its allowing people to compete with my service, ha ha just kidding.I just wanted you to make my life easier. I could definitely see the benefits of the app for what I am trying to do. I will give the app a couple of plugs for you and try to spread the word. Fair play to you.

The service I have set up is already gathering momentum with 100 people 'Following' per day so far.

Getting good coverage around the place and even got a spot up on the Friends of Dublin Hurling website this afternoon which is great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,685 ✭✭✭shmeee

Well foto joe, One more thing, would it be possible to include a 10 min a half option as underage games could be 10 mins a half and this would make keeping score and times very easy for blitz's and competitions...

Thanks....

Oh I thought 20min was minimum. Is there 15min too?

foto joe wrote: »

Underage matches and cumann na mbunscol (school's) matches can be 10 mins a side...

It's a suggestion I received from someone hoping to use the app for the Cumann na mbunscol finals...

OK I'll include that as a duration option on the next update.

OK I'll include that as a duration option on the next update.

Thanks foto joe...

I have the App posted over and Premierview (Tipperary GAA forum) and many people are interested in it..

Keep up the good work...

• Advertisement

Would it work on all Android phones, say the Samsung Europa.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

I tried to add it to the Hogan Stand but it does not seem to have been approved.

:D
    gaa_ad.jpg

Would it work on all Android phones, say the Samsung Europa.

Should do - search GAA on your market app.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

I am covering a double header in Roscommon on Saturday, Intermediate followed by Senior, hope it works as I have 15 followers and I am expecting more as I have mentioned it on a few GAA websites.
    I can see this being a huge hit time to start charging maybe (guinea pigs like myself excepted of course!)

Bought samsung europa today just cos of this app. Anyway you can share this score on facebook.

Bought samsung europa today just cos of this app. Anyway you can share this score on facebook.

Wow seriously? I hope I can continue to support that phone's low resolution screen without holding back the app for the majority of users. If it does get dropped from future updates then I'll try issue a manually downloadable version here too though.

I haven't llinked up facebook yet. It's a bit trickier than I'd assumed. Sharing a URL on facebook is easier, so what I may do is when stats etc are available I might have them upload to a server and generate a page displaying the match details which could be linked onto facebook and twitter.

I downloaded the app but how do you set it up for twitter..The "set up twitter" button isnt doing the job for me.

Sometimes it doesn't load the twitter authorisation, not sure why yet.

Try restart it, hit Menu > Close. Then open the app again and try again. Also make sure your data connection is working.

With 423 downloads so far the app is doing well. I've been very busy with exams and job hunting recently so the next release has been delayed but nearly there.

Added and working for next release;
    - Match location (optional)
    - Edit tweet before sending
    - Score times

Partially working;
    - Graphical match stats. Will be finished soon!

Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

With 423 downloads so far the app is doing well. I've been very busy with exams and job hunting recently so the next release has been delayed but nearly there.

Added and working for next release;
    - Match location (optional)
    - Edit tweet before sending
    - Score times

Partially working;
    - Graphical match stats. Will be finished soon!

Joe

What sort of job are you looking for? Is it in mobile app development? If so send me a pm.

• Advertisement

Sure am, pm sent. Any othe
    r potential employees, send me a message! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Browning

Thanks for this great app Fotojoe. I have used it on several occassions in my role as club secretary. I tweet scores and with the twitter linked to our facebook page it helps to keep those you cant make it to a game in the loop.
    I have a couple of queries and suggestions
    • A function to stop the clock to take of account of stoppages in the game
    • Is it possible to make a call without having to restart the app and lose the data from a game in progress ?
    • A Game Stat app would be a great next step as keeping stats in a game is becoming an important part of post/md game analysis . Counts of Frees awarded/conceded , wides, 45/65's & scoring attempts could all be measured.
    Keep up the good work. Have already recommended your app to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭niallb

I was at a schools game this afternoon (cumann na mbunscol), and it was 15 minutes a side.
    15 mins a side is also common at underage blitzes, so it's a good option to include!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭mossie

An option for extra time in the event of a draw would be useful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭tmcd

Deadly app, tested it last night. Even though its free I want to pay you :-)

livegaaresults.com

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭KeelanM90

Hey foto joe,
    I'm pretty impressed with your app, any chance you'd consider making it a little more eye catching. If so feel free to PM me for designs to try take it to the next level. I'll happily work on this free of charge and maybe we'd work together on a few of my app ideas later on.
    Keelan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭2BT

Afternoon Folks,

Just wanted to let you know, for anyone interested, @DubMatchTracker will be providing simultaneous live score by score updates on Twitter from 7.25pm this evening for:

Dublin U21 Hurlers v Carlow, Dr. Cullen Park @ 7.30pm #DublinU21LHC

&

Dublin Junior Footballers v Kildare, Parnell Park @ 7.30pm #DublinLJFC

http://twitter.com/#!/DubMatchTracker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ref1

Genius app, love this and anyone ive shown it to is very impressed, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭aidz

great app.
    have been using this for the last number of games with the club. The twitter updates function is brilliant. A lot of positive feed back on our twitter account as a result.

only neg i see is that the app quits if you need to make a call or if you want to check out other match scores through twitter.
    is there any way around this??

otherwise a big thanks for a great gaa app

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Fantastic app. Great idea and well implemented so far.
    Looking forward to future updates and the direction you can go with it.

Any chance of a button that will play a random "Effin" Eddie Maroney quote when a dodgy penalty is given :D

Advertisement