Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armed Response Unit at Travelodge

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

barryd09 wrote: »
    Totally agree with Sentient_6 on this.

I saw the ERU last night at Topaz on the Bridge.
    Was going to ask them straight up for some info on their days work,just so i could report it here...

Btw,they like tea & coffee from Topaz.Oh and refuelling their nice car. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously, I stop at that Topaz every morning and they are ALWAYS there - getting their coffee and pastries. How stereotypical of them? Chief Wigam eat your heart out!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭fatguy2k1

maybe there should be a general chat thread to deal with all these type of threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

fatguy2k1 wrote: »
    maybe there should be a general chat thread to deal with all these type of threads?

Aye, that wouldn't be a bad idea at all :)

The problem is though, the type of posters who set them up(usually less then 100 posts) would just ignore it and make a new one anyway.

Kind of like how we get 2/3 ''I'm moving to Galway'' threads every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

bubbaloo wrote: »
    Seriously, I stop at that Topaz every morning and they are ALWAYS there - getting their coffee and pastries. How stereotypical of them? Chief Wigam eat your heart out!! :D

well I never, guards are human enough to consume food. I thought they were a donut eating folk. maybe they go to Topaz cos they are on the road so much and can get out of there fast if necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

It's because of the discounts they get

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭moikey

bubbaloo wrote: »

I used to pass by that petrol station regularly as well and one day a young cop tried to get the fuel and food paid for FREE, the girl behind the counter was having none of it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Fuinseog wrote: »
    in fairness there are a lot of threads here with 'I saw a fire engine with sirens on yesterday, what happened?' or 'why was there a man lying unconscious in Eyre yesterday?' . Do you expect the emergency services to come on here and tell you what happened for your entertainment?

does so little happen in Galway that people wonder aloud about such things?

God love em if they lived in a city like London or New York! Sirens and distractions galore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I saw the ERU last night at Topaz on the Bridge.

Btw,they like tea & coffee from Topaz.Oh and refuelling their nice car.

WOW........That almost sounds like they may...wait for it...they may just be allowed to eat food and have a coffee like everybody else, OR MAYBE Topaz are the company that supplies fuel to AGS........

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

moikey wrote: »
    I used to pass by that petrol station regularly as well and one day a young cop tried to get the fuel and food paid for FREE, the girl behind the counter was having none of it.:D

unlikely that a cop would try to get free fuel. I would imagine they have a fuel card or its put on a tab. last time I checked the individual guards were not paying for fuel.

much is made of them getting a free cuppa but its not unheard of for civilians to enjoy certain perks. who hear has not skipped the queue to get into a club because they know the doorstaff or gotten a freebie somewhere along the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

moikey wrote: »

I'm sure.

The guard had a fuel card for the diesel and paid for the food himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSXJuIYUXxMeFggisKVM90DJVLyNQv7Rh1EeRufahq5Z3rNAh-b

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfk13ELknMrg2j64wBudRV_W0PS97wyYez3tSKCb-q5QQOu_-P

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

I wouldn't look too much into the armed response units presence.They're just glorified patrol cars.They respond to the same calls as other guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

gant0 wrote: »
    I wouldn't look too much into the armed response units presence.They're just glorified patrol cars.They respond to the same calls as other guards.

Yeah, but they look sooooooo much cooler!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

just glorified patrol cars.

Very fast, armed glorified patrol cars. The ERU car is a scary thing to have following you across town....

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Eh, no, I really wouldn't agree with you there! Those XC-70s are a serious piece of kit, they're made specially for police forces. You'd do well to outrun one.

True, they're regular cops most of the time, but can change to 'armed mode' in seconds (magnetic stip goes on the driver and passenger doors reading 'armed response unit', and the LED scroll bar on the roof will let you know they have the submachine guns out of the in-car safe).

Dead giveaway they're on a job is they're wearing their baseball caps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭T2daK

sentient_6 wrote: »
    How about a more civilized response then:

1. Wat do you think anyone on here is going to tell you?

2. What business is it of yours anyway?

I just dont get these threads. & there's loads of them. Had a look there & in 5 minutes i found 'whats that smell of burning', 'what are those sirens', & two threads wondering what the helicopters where about. :confused:

Dead right man I totally agree some people just have no friends

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

I think its because some ppl have no lives. go out tommrow and watch a butterly dance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

If they are in the car their gun is within arms reach.
    Fuel card is attached to the key ring.

AFAIK they have an AED on board.
    They spend most of their time just driving around and wouldn't have as much flexibility as regular Garda.
    The car is built by Volvo specially for AGS.

If you ever see them at a show don't be afraid to go over and ask questions.

Shane St. wrote: »
    I think its because some ppl have no lives. go out tommrow and watch a butterly dance

Just looking at this post and my 11 year old daughter commented " if you think some people have no lives well aren't ye worse for posting about it!!!:D

haha, smart girl!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Those Garda Volvos freak the bejaysus out of me whenI see them. Especially when they end up right behind me; I keep thinking 'What have I done, what have I done':pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Just looking at this post and my 11 year old daughter commented " if you think some people have no lives well aren't ye worse for posting about it!!!:D

haha, smart girl!!

Yes,what an amazing response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

Very fast, armed glorified patrol cars. The ERU car is a scary thing to have following you across town....

'cptr

Speaking from experience? :D

I saw them leading a raid on a house last year, very impressive to watch and they take no **** off anybody. The guys from the house were cuffed and outside in their boxers before they knew what was going on (early morning raid).

Yes,what an amazing response.

Thank you, she'll be chuffed to hear you think so:)

Advertisement