Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Celbridge Cinema Rejection

Options
  • 05-05-2011 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

A while ago a developer was refused permission for a cinema at the 'apple green' end of the link road. KCC cited traffic/parking issues - the developer told them there would be a 300+space car park.
    KCC still hung onto the traffic issues though. They also claimed that a cinema may be included in the Collinstown urban development which may take up to 20years to see the light of day. When this was scoffed at by local cllrs and T.Ds they (KCC) then played their trump card by stating that if a cinema was to be built it should be on the main street!! Perhaps they forgot about their 'traffic' issues?

To add insult to injury they recently granted permission to Lidl to install a new store...beside the famine graveyard/memorial...and pretty much on the same road as the cinema would have been...oh yeah, forgot to mention, the store will be situated a couple of hundred metres from the 24 hour Tescos. Seems traffic, parking, main street location aren't factors for this. I've nothing against Lidl, in fact the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned, but their (KCC) decision making is mind boggling at times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Buffman

Ye, I read about this at the time, as I recall the 'traffic issues' were that people would have to drive to the cinema at the apple green roundabout!:rolleyes: So they must reckon Liffey Valley is within walking distance!

Had to laugh when I heard main street being suggested!

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Anyone know when the Lidl is due to be built?

livEwirE wrote: »
    Anyone know when the Lidl is due to be built?

I'd imagine it's going to be next year/end of this year before it starts, if it starts that is. The location is crazy IMO, and we certainly do not need another set of traffic lights on that road!

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Politicians?
    A clique of self aggrandized back-slappers, completely out of touch with reality and who are abject failures at any other occupation / profession.
    Couldn't recognise an intelligent decision if it stood up dressed in bright orange, and bit them in the backside.

These guys are not interested in the well-being of the people. They're there ONLY and EXCLUSIVELY for their personal gain or power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Originally Posted by Buttman
    The location is crazy IMO, and we certainly do not need another set of traffic lights on that road!

Agree with you 100%:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Italia wrote: »
    Politicians?
    A clique of self aggrandized back-slappers, completely out of touch with reality and who are abject failures at any other occupation / profession.
    Couldn't recognise an intelligent decision if it stood up dressed in bright orange, and bit them in the backside.

These guys are not interested in the well-being of the people. They're there ONLY and EXCLUSIVELY for their personal gain or power.

Planners are the ones who make the decisions re planning, despite what you think.
    Politicians only have input at county development plan stage, and at that, it's just input.
    Some local politicians in North Kildare are very vocal at planning objections however, but again, they don't call the shots when it comes to decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

You are perfectly correct in saying that the planners are the ones having to make the final decision.
    However (I'm speaking from over 30yrs direct involvement in local authority issues), politicians generally are the ones ultimately pulling the strings.
    They lobby, influence, hint, stir the pot ...call it what you like... to influence / amend decisions so that it suits their agenda.
    It happens all the time.
    gman2k wrote: »
    Planners are the ones who make the decisions re planning, despite what you think.
    Politicians only have input at county development plan stage, and at that, it's just input.
    Some local politicians in North Kildare are very vocal at planning objections however, but again, they don't call the shots when it comes to decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭blackwaterfish

Buffman wrote: »
    I'd imagine it's going to be next year/end of this year before it starts, if it starts that is. The location is crazy IMO, and we certainly do not need another set of traffic lights on that road!

There will be no additional traffic lights at the site entrance to the new lidl.

There will be no additional traffic lights at the site entrance to the new lidl.

That's good, I haven't read the plans in a while, did they revise them? Do you have any info on what sort of junction they're putting in?

Advertisement