Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon EOS 550D HD Video to SD?

Options
  • 05-05-2011 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭

I've been asked to record some speakers at an event using a Canon 550D. The camera shoots video in HD. There will be someone else there recording in SD format and I'd like to get the footage from both cameras and edit them into one piece but without the obvious differences in definition.

So what I am wondering is if it is possible to shoot in SD using the Canon. I've checked the Canon site and brochure of the camera model but can't find the information I'm looking for. Would anyone have any idea if this is possible?

I'll be editing the footage together using Premiere Elements 9, so I'm wondering if I just set the Project settings as SD, would this also do the trick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Do you know the model of the other camera? Its not as simple as HD and SD. Ususally if somebody refers to HD they mean either 1920x1080 or 1280x720 resolutions (but could still refer to 2k, 4k and others)....as for SD theres tons more possibilities so you'll need to find out a few more details on the other camera. Its not just about the resolution either, check to see what frame rates the other camera can shoot.

Probably a better idea is to match the frame rates but then shoot the footage on the 550D at 1920x1080. On the 550D you'll be able to do that at either 24, 25 or 30 FPS so its very likely the other camera can match one of those. If you have higher resolution footage you can always scale it down in resolution, its scaling up which is the problem.

If you match the frame rates and then scale the footage in Premier so they both fill up the frame then render it at the lower SD resolution then rendered clip will all be at the set resolution, including the shots from the 550D.

Thats how Id go about it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 henrygoggins

most of the sd cameras shoot at 720x576 which is a PAL widescreen standard definition size. so i'm guessing that is what your friend has. I would go with 1280x720 on the canon because it's closest in frame size to your SD size. So when you have all the footage on the timeline you can scale down to the sd size easier. you should be ok with the diff frame rates

so i'd go with a sequence pal widescreen 720x576 and scale down the canon footage. but you should do some test footage and render it out see how it looks.

hope that helps abit

Advertisement