Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motion blur - is there a difference when using HD as opposed to SD?

• 05-05-2011 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We have a Sony Bravia KDL 40w4500 (100hz, whatever that means) which we use with bog standard sky plus. I've noticed that when watching tennis or snooker, the amount of motion blur (the ball leaves a trail on the screen, or you see two balls moving) is quite bad, regardless of whether motion flow is turned on or not.

We are having HD installed next week and I'm just wondering if that will make things any better, being through a HDMI cable and all, or whether the refresh rate (I think that's the reason) is simply not good enough to have perfect-ish picture?

Ta.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭brophs

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Unfortunately it's inherent in the LCD technology. Older sets like yours suffer from it more so than newer ones, but they still have it.

If you wanted to, plasma is the way to go for natural motion on screen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

mad muffin wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's inherent in the LCD technology. Older sets like yours suffer from it more so than newer ones, but they still have it.

If you wanted to, plasma is the way to go for natural motion on screen.

Agreed, I have a NeoPDP 600Hz Panasonic Plasma and and there is no blur, it is the 2009 Model but is brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

HD will make it better. We watch a lot of rugby and it was very noticeable. Watched the Six Nations on the BBC in HD and it was much, much better. Like yours ours is quite an old (relatively) HDTV.

The problem is there isn't much on in HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ratedR

Yeah I notice it a bit too on non HD channels (sky hd box, samsung 1080p lcd tv)

Picture is perfect however on the HD channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There is ZERO inherent difference between HD and SD. Some HDTVs may process SD poorly.

Nor is it anything to do with Plasma vs LCD. At this stage a Plasma has no advantages over LCD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

This could be an inappropriate telecine setting on the TV for whatever input you are using. I got motion blur on my Pioneer TV until I changed "drive mode" to 2.
    If in doubt, switch mode to "cinema" or "movie", see it that helps.
    You could check if frame interpolation is on/off - that may impact it.
    Also, if there is any post-processing going on, like NR, switch them all off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

I find that the Sky HD did improve the motion blur a little, aside from definition.
    I too have a Sony LCD, but I put it down to the Sky digitial data volume coming through.

Have you tried a DVD of Tennis to see if it really is your LCD or actually SKY? If you try a DVD or even a BluRay and you'll see the real difference. One scene that is a good test is the David Attenborough Blue Planet series , particularly the Bait Ball scene where you have fast rotating fish.

Advertisement